Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
We are gonna try a new spot later today. We have some things to do today in southern Michigan but plan on getting in the woods around 4 hunting maybe til 6ish before heading back North where I think we may check out a spot tomorrow looks like may be a busy weekend with 2 mushroom festivals going

·
Registered
801 Posts
Cut grass or do something fun...hmmmmmm, what shall I do?....
You don't understand. The grass needed cut really on Monday. Would have made much easier work, even though it was already ahead of me. I busted my ass today, much harder than I bust my ass morel hunting. That's just hiking and looking, not pushing a mower through overgrown grass! Besides, it's supposed to rain again tomorrow, so when am I supposed to get this done? As it is, I am good to go. Well, at least for 3 days!

I both love and hate this time of year! Yes, it's morel season, but it's also cut the grass twice a week season! That's just the way it is here. The thing is, neither I, nor my neighbor, do anything to encourage the grass to grow like weed 'n feed. Heck, if I could find something to put on it that would make it grow more slowly, that would be the ticket! And if I could afford it, I'd have the lawns ripped up and put down Field Turf!

·
Registered
145 Posts
You don't understand. The grass needed cut really on Monday. Would have made much easier work, even though it was already ahead of me. I busted my ass today, much harder than I bust my ass morel hunting. That's just hiking and looking, not pushing a mower through overgrown grass! Besides, it's supposed to rain again tomorrow, so when am I supposed to get this done? As it is, I am good to go. Well, at least for 3 days!

I both love and hate this time of year! Yes, it's morel season, but it's also cut the grass twice a week season! That's just the way it is here. The thing is, neither I, nor my neighbor, do anything to encourage the grass to grow like weed 'n feed. Heck, if I could find something to put on it that would make it grow more slowly, that would be the ticket! And if I could afford it, I'd have the lawns ripped up and put down Field Turf!
Be careful what you wish for. I’m in Iowa and it’s so dry that our season is screwed. The good news is I’ve only cut grass twice in the last month. Unless you like dried up mushrooms.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
FREEZE WARNING TONIGHT IN MANY AREAS!!
Yep, and possibly 2-3 days worth at that. Couldn't come at a worse time for me...might just kill off any chance for new growth for the rest of the season down here (again). I'm hoping the little buggers can stick it out. Found some new ones growing today in NWI, but not many. Left some to grow a day or two. Found a couple more blacks as well.

Fingers crossed!
20210507_133553[1].jpg

20210507_131723[1].jpg

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Boyne is next weekend.

A nice event but very commercialized. In my opinion you would be better off in the woods in that general area.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Back home til Wednesday have the grandson today so couldn't hit any deep spots in my area that may have some stragglers but dropped by a faithful spot even when some one gets to it before me they always miss this one it grows in an unusual spot View attachment 39125
Thankfully they didn’t trample that monster by accident. Really nice find. Too bad your not able to mount that trophy on your wall.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yep, and possibly 2-3 days worth at that. Couldn't come at a worse time for me...might just kill off any chance for new growth for the rest of the season down here (again). I'm hoping the little buggers can stick it out. Found some new ones growing today in NWI, but not many. Left some to grow a day or two. Found a couple more blacks as well.

Fingers crossed!
View attachment 39340

View attachment 39341
The frost means nothing unless it’s here to stay. With “warm” sunny days melting off the frost, it can actually help add the needed humidity to air and moisture to your favorite spots. The downfall comes when there is a patch you haven’t found or picked yet and they either get “burnt” or can develop mold - similar to a heavy rain that’s sticks around for several days.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
I’m not trying to tell anyone how to hunt, but rather help spread the knowledge and ensure you all have fruit to hunt in the years to follow. With that being said, if you’re out hunting morels and you come across some that are old past their prime or really moldy and beat up, just leave them be. They will spore out for next year.

Additionally and probably the two most important bits of wisdom I would like to pass along:

1. Carry a knife with you. Cut the morels off at their base above ground level. Do NOT pull them from the ground. Doing so disturbs the hypha growth and can hinder your chances for the current year.

2. Invest in or borrow a mesh bag. They sell some form of them in most stores (meijer, Walmart, sporting goods stores) and online. This is as essential of a tool for the morels survival as the knife is that I mentioned above. Plastic or paper bags will not allow the spores to drop from the mushrooms during your trek through the woods, field, beach (wherever your hunting) - whereas a mesh bag will. There is no place for plastic bags while hunting morels. Pass this info along! Buy your friend, fellow hunter, spouse, parter a mesh bag when you get one for yourself.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

the images below were from this morning under one tree I’ve been hunting for years. So please understand there is scientific evidence behind the above listed info I shared

E46B6B19-0236-4FED-AC17-7F31655ABD8E.jpeg
D6B021A8-50B9-4D5F-B513-58DAABCD2B93.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
I’m not trying to tell anyone how to hunt, but rather help spread the knowledge and ensure you all have fruit to hunt in the years to follow. With that being said, if you’re out hunting morels and you come across some that are old past their prime or really moldy and beat up, just leave them be. They will spore out for next year.

Additionally and probably the two most important bits of wisdom I would like to pass along:

1. Carry a knife with you. Cut the morels off at their base above ground level. Do NOT pull them from the ground. Doing so disturbs the mycelium growth and can hinder your chances for the current year and future hunts to come.

2. Invest in or borrow a mesh bag. They sell some form of them in most stores (meijer, Walmart, sporting goods stores) and online. This is as essential of a tool for the morels survival as the knife is that I mentioned above. Plastic or paper bags will not allow the spores to drop from the mushrooms during your trek through the woods, field, beach (wherever your hunting) - whereas a mesh bag will. There is no place for plastic bags while hunting morels. Pass this info along! Buy your friend, fellow hunter, spouse, parter a mesh bag when you get one for yourself.

the images below were from this morning under one tree I’ve been hunting for years. So please understand there is scientific evidence behind the above listed info I shared

View attachment 39366 View attachment 39367
Excellent advice for all. Shroom on my friends.

·
Registered
14 Posts

1. Carry a knife with you. Cut the morels off at their base above ground level. Do NOT pull them from the ground. Doing so disturbs the mycelium growth and can hinder your chances for the current year and future hunts to come.

View attachment 39366 View attachment 39367
Another suggestion if you find old past their prime mushrooms take them along and spread them around areas that look good. Crumble them up and spread them around, maybe rake them into the dirt with your foot. I threw some ugly ones under a crab apple tree and they came up for quite a few years until the tree was cut down. Same with the wash water, dont dump down the drain take it out and dump it in the yard. It works.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Fingers crossed!
View attachment 39340

View attachment 39341

Hey Hey, I recognize those HUGE orderly Tulip Poplars! :cool:

·
Registered
717 Posts

Since we want accurate info for newbies, pulling up morels does not affect the mycelium in a negative way. This has been debunked by mycologists and naturalists, yet the myth still persists. The main reason it is not advised to pull up morels is to avoid fouling your mushrooms with dirt and grit. 600-million-year-old mushrooms aren't threatened by humans pulling up morels.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The frost means nothing unless it’s here to stay. With “warm” sunny days melting off the frost, it can actually help add the needed humidity to air and moisture to your favorite spots. The downfall comes when there is a patch you haven’t found or picked yet and they either get “burnt” or can develop mold - similar to a heavy rain that’s sticks around for several days.
That was the problem today. I found a bit of new growth, but some of those I left behind yesterday had frostbite, and a few separated from their stems or prematurely blew their top. A couple (out of the wind) grew a little, but most didn't. I've been more worried about the multiple days of frost when the season is already a little behind schedule...that's what happened down here last year.

The half-free were already sacrificed (for the most part) due to the weather around here. Because of that, I figure we'll still have at least one more decent push when it warms up.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts