Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really? I would love to know more about these.
I would say the most common edible mushroom found year round is the Oyster mushroom its very tasty and easy to identify and grows on dead logs. Then theres the wood ear mushroom its not super flavorful but goes good in asian style food and soups also very easy to identify and grows on dead logs also. Then theres chicken of woods and hen of the woods which ive heard are very delicious but I have not found any yet but I read they are found on hardwoods trees. When you do find oysters and woodear they will keep growing in that spot as long as the condition are good. Anyway hope that helps a little and happy hunting =)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice cool down coming. Which is great. Now rain over much of morel alley, even better. If you depend on Ash trees for morels in spots you hunt I hate to say it but you better enjoy it while you can. I have entire forests I walk through up here in NW Mo. where over 50% of the Ash are dying now and the beetles will kill the rest also. It is sad to see giant old mature Ash with the brown spots that say its a goner. What will they eat when the Ash are gone? Very few large Elm left for the same reason, I watched them all die as I walked the same forests for the last 50 years.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would say the most common edible mushroom found year round is the Oyster mushroom its very tasty and easy to identify and grows on dead logs. Then theres the wood ear mushroom its not super flavorful but goes good in asian style food and soups also very easy to identify and grows on dead logs also. Then theres chicken of woods and hen of the woods which ive heard are very delicious but I have not found any yet but I read they are found on hardwoods trees. When you do find oysters and woodear they will keep growing in that spot as long as the condition are good. Anyway hope that helps a little and happy hunting =)
I have only hunted morels but this last year I found 5 other edibles, still reluctant to try them

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where ya going?
If I have my way maybe Texas. More likely Oklahoma. Only if the morels are thick. Otherwise I will wait for S. Kansas. I went down to Okie the first week of April last year and with a friends help got in some good patches. The rains will determine what happens. You know the morel hunters game. Watch the rain and everything else will take care if itself. Dam February near killed me. Knowing morels were close kept me going. Glad to see you made another winter also dawg. Hope the bottoms don't flood again. Sure are a lot of logs and water coming down the Mizzou today. Every river coming out of Nebraska must be out of its banks all the rain up that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I have my way maybe Texas. More likely Oklahoma. Only if the morels are thick. Otherwise I will wait for S. Kansas. I went down to Okie the first week of April last year and with a friends help got in some good patches. The rains will determine what happens. You know the morel hunters game. Watch the rain and everything else will take care if itself. Dam February near killed me. Knowing morels were close kept me going. Glad to see you made another winter also dawg. Hope the bottoms don't flood again. Sure are a lot of logs and water coming down the Mizzou today. Every river coming out of Nebraska must be out of its banks all the rain up that way.
Any great tools for monitoring precipitation reports and/or forecasts nationally? I suppose I could add a dozen places to my weather app, but I know shroomers can find some good time-saving resources and sometimes share them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any great tools for monitoring precipitation reports and/or forecasts nationally? I suppose I could add a dozen places to my weather app, but I know shroomers can find some good time-saving resources and sometimes share them.
[/QUOT

.missouri.edu/weather/reports/soiltemp2.aspagebb

I use them for soil temps and rain gauges they seem to know how much rain and how cold the ground is more than I do =p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice cool down coming. Which is great. Now rain over much of morel alley, even better. If you depend on Ash trees for morels in spots you hunt I hate to say it but you better enjoy it while you can. I have entire forests I walk through up here in NW Mo. where over 50% of the Ash are dying now and the beetles will kill the rest also. It is sad to see giant old mature Ash with the brown spots that say its a goner. What will they eat when the Ash are gone? Very few large Elm left for the same reason, I watched them all die as I walked the same forests for the last 50 years.
Yep. I’m here in NW Mo.... it’s surprising if I see an Ash without EAB.

I got a huge 13ft around ash on a fence.... how long did it live? And how big of a mess when it dies.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In the Shenandoah many Ash trees were not totally killed. Many have sprouts coming up near the base of the Ash trees. It will take a while but hopefully some Ash will survive eventually. Not in my lifetime unfortunately. Look for any dead Ironwoods if they grow in your area. They are not large but have flushes similar to Dead Elms but can produce good finds for several years. (American hornbean)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Someone said walnut. Hope not...Wish they would eat honeysuckle next personally. In replying to the fella about where the Ash borer is going next.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I seriously doubt Black Walnut but possibly under the other Walnuts. Not much srprises me when it come to where morels sometimes are found. I've found them in mature pure red cedar forests in VA. Some can be found under some types of hickories or other nuts. Privet can hold the small type of morels. I've had very good luck under some long dead oaks with the large type,similar to tyhe dead Ash fruitngs but not nearly as many. One long dead Oak produced 24-36 "honkers":each year for close to 10 years before petering out. Sycamores can produce, especially very late in the season.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the Shenandoah many Ash trees were not totally killed. Many have sprouts coming up near the base of the Ash trees. It will take a while but hopefully some Ash will survive eventually. Not in my lifetime unfortunately. Look for any dead Ironwoods if they grow in your area. They are not large but have flushes similar to Dead Elms but can produce good finds for several years. (American hornbean)
You just shattered my entire world view! I seem to find oodles of ironwood whenever I'm out with the dogs in my neck of the woods. I always get excited when I see the jagged leaves on the forest floor, but then disappointed when I look closer/up and see irnowood instead of elm. I'm going to have to start noting these spots now and check back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm in Ohio and once the borer hit it didn't take long. Haven't seen a live ash in 3-4 years!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in Marion County Arkansas. Reports of morels are already being posted. I find it a bit odd, still don't have the tell-tell signs, such as redbuds blooming or mayapples up. I've seen pictures of morels in Bentonville and that makes sense because Bentonville is further south. But the reports of them being found in Marion County makes me wonder if 2021 is going to be as unpredicatable as 2020? That being said, guess I will go check a few spots tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts