Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
EDB851F1-598B-4F2C-A811-74B7D5C118A8.jpeg 73C2AD43-DF35-481C-9A1E-A36A5D43AFA8.jpeg
Cleaned up my the spot from the quick walk this past Wednesday. Dad and I spent 3 hrs along a creek in west stl county in pretty steady rain, no ticks and 154 morels. Found about 100 in one small maybe 30x10 foot section along the creek. The rest were coming out of leaf litter at the bottom of forested hills along the creek. I think it’s going to be a great year for morels!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
View attachment 37457 View attachment 37458
Cleaned up my the spot from the quick walk this past Wednesday. Dad and I spent 3 hrs along a creek in west stl county in pretty steady rain, no ticks and 154 morels. Found about 100 in one small maybe 30x10 foot section along the creek. The rest were coming out of leaf litter at the bottom of forested hills along the creek. I think it’s going to be a great year for morels!
No associated trees of any note?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No associated trees of any note?
I’m still getting the hang of tree IDs, the spot has a lot of sycamore and ash so I always just assumed those were the trees throwing up morels. I paid more attention this year and there was a dead/dying elm at every patch of morels, they were all growing around the elms for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 37457 View attachment 37458
Any tree patterns to the morel finds?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I gotta find one first! 😉

Last season, the big hitters for me were ash and (surprisingly) black oaks. 🤷‍♀️
The oaks surprised me last year too, found decent numbers hunting some hills along the Mo river with big oaks throughout, found some huge yellows practically growing on the trunks. Those hills are brutal though. Im planning on waiting until next weekend to hit that particular spot.
Anyone got out and had luck on hills yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last fall they cleared a large tract next to the highway, cut all trees to stumps etc. I thinks to myself that if that’s not stressing a tree I don’t understand the word. Well this morning I tested the stump theory and these pics are the first one that I came to. Didn’t find another in this field of nearly 50 stumps. Now mind you that a lot of the field has standing water, so that didn’t help.
F2E93102-7CA2-4093-BEC0-AEAA08F3775D.jpeg
FFE4BD78-459C-482D-AD0B-523025523A14.jpeg

·
Registered
98 Posts
The oaks surprised me last year too, found decent numbers hunting some hills along the Mo river with big oaks throughout, found some huge yellows practically growing on the trunks. Those hills are brutal though. Im planning on waiting until next weekend to hit that particular spot.
Anyone got out and had luck on hills yet?
That’s all I hunt, since I’m fortunate enough to have 500 acres of hardwood forest border my meager 10 acres.
The owner is fiercely protective, but welcomes me annually...because I always make he and his wife a big batch of Paul Prudhomme’s “Shrimp Dianne” with the morels I find on his property.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Little over 3# today. All sizes large yellows, medium blonds , small grays. I have no idea how to put a picture on here and to lazy to learn unless it helps me find more morels.
Congrats! What general neck of the woods? (St Louis County, Jefferson County, St Charles...?) Bottoms? South facing slopes? Seems like it's still early in most parts and would like to make the most of a day off tomorrow. 😉

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will hit st charles friday and will let you know my findings. Tree types and all. Last weekend was all elms. I hope the cottonwoods produce this year. The best find i ever came across was when my brother aka (shroom picker), saw a large cottonwood split in half. I bet there was at least 600 mushrooms around that tree. We could only salvage around 300. The rest was too far gone. That was about 10 years ago, but my brother, my son, and my self had the biggest grins on our faces. Hope to come accross something like that again in my lifetime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My best find was probably about six years ago, late in the season so ×ay more too far gone than harvestable, but I still came home with a nice haul. Like you, I was smiling and thanking the good Lord the entire time! Been back to that same spot every year, multiple times a year, and have been skunked every time, almost as if the first time had been nothing but a dream. Strangest thing. Anyway, good luck on Friday!

81 - 100 of 152 Posts