Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice! Help this girl make this all-too-rare date with my hubby one he'll never forget, and point me in the right general direction, please! Neck of the woods (county)? Creekside/riverside or hillsides? North or south facing? Type of tree? Anything you can share without divulging your specific spot would be super appreciated! 😉😊😇

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, Supply Guy! I just realized those were probably from your elms last weekend. Good luck tomorrow! We're still trying to decide where to go today. All of our usual spots have come up empty, so I'm guessing it's still too early for them and am trying to figure out where to go to find some today! If nothing else, a walk in the woods is always nourishing to the soul!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey, Supply Guy! I just realized those were probably from your elms last weekend. Good luck tomorrow! We're still trying to decide where to go today. All of our usual spots have come up empty, so I'm guessing it's still too early for them and am trying to figure out where to go to find some today! If nothing else, a walk in the woods is always nourishing to the soul!
I picked those on Tuesday and loaded up with bigger on Wednesday ( yesterday). Been finding on the edges of standing trees with a mix of elm, ash, sycamore and cedar

·
Registered
8 Posts
We walked a few miles in what sounds like similar woods, but it wasn't our day. I found an okay yellow and hubby found a half cap, and that's it. But we managed to pick up only about twice as many ticks, and it was a beautiful day, so still a win! We will hunt again soon!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Congrats! What general neck of the woods? (St Louis County, Jefferson County, St Charles...?) Bottoms? South facing slopes? Seems like it's still early in most parts and would like to make the most of a day off tomorrow. 😉
I found these in the Kansas Flint Hills on elm. Nothing similar over where you are. Except if you can find some good 1st year dead elm.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I will hit st charles friday and will let you know my findings. Tree types and all. Last weekend was all elms. I hope the cottonwoods produce this year. The best find i ever came across was when my brother aka (shroom picker), saw a large cottonwood split in half. I bet there was at least 600 mushrooms around that tree. We could only salvage around 300. The rest was too far gone. That was about 10 years ago, but my brother, my son, and my self had the biggest grins on our faces. Hope to come accross something like that again in my lifetime.
Just keep hitting split cottons and I imagine you might. Those are hard to forget events if you love hunting morels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just keep hitting split cottons and I imagine you might. Those are hard to forget events if you love hunting morels.
Back about 7 years, just my second year hunting morels, I found my first and only downed cottonwood with a root ball just covered in morels. I really hope to find another one of those someday, still get goosebumps thinking about it. Probably need to hunt areas that flood more for finds like that but I don’t always get to that habitat during morel season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice! St Charles County, right? Any particular tree, terrain, etc? We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel that we're doing ourselves, so the timing is really bad, but so is our drive to hunt!

·
Registered
31 Posts
61E6B0FD-8581-4615-BB1A-06DA63109797.jpeg F5FEAD6B-135B-481A-AA84-4CB18D7DC89F.jpeg 82F6FC44-ABF8-4E80-BA99-810D97DAA6F7.jpeg

Got out and picked 75 today, all found on cottonwood and cherry trees. Tried some slopes along the MO river early and didn’t have any luck in places that have been successful in the past, found a dozen or so of those little yellow ones growing under cherry trees on the large hill tops. Found a few medium grays on some big old oaks on hilltops. Moved to a spot along the meramec in some cottonwood heavy forest, found about 60 yellows just above the food line under cottonwood and some cherry trees. They were all in pretty good shape, didn’t see any too far gone yet. I’m hoping those hills along the MO river just haven’t got going yet, but then again now I hear there is a freeze warning or something...how much damage is 1-2 nights below freezing nights going to do? 1101415A-B2FD-4D52-BD3A-BAF09F00191E.jpeg

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Could have a freeze problem coming up my way also. To bad the season was looking good in the hills. Morels on every slope. North just coming. This last week has been good. The ones up will most likely get frost nip. Black tops. Not sure what it will do to the fruiting. Past experiences have not been positive. Maybe I will be wrong. The ground is warm so I don't think they will freeze into hard ice cubes and then melt to mush. . Every thing from me up to Omaha was just kicking in. I would rather it snowed on them as an insulator.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts