Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Could have a freeze problem coming up my way also. To bad the season was looking good in the hills. Morels on every slope. North just coming. This last week has been good. The ones up will most likely get frost nip. Black tops. Not sure what it will do to the fruiting. Past experiences have not been positive. Maybe I will be wrong. The ground is warm so I don't think they will freeze into hard ice cubes and then melt to mush. . Every thing from me up to Omaha was just kicking in. I would rather it snowed on them as an insulator.
Replying to myself? duh. Yeah it snowed. About 6 inches and gone by noon. Morels I picked today were not affected last night. Tonight could be colder though.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
The cold weather didn't hurt those biggies I found today.
No it did not Picker. I have not seen any effect on what was up. Which surprised me. I should have gone out and picked some in the snow that morning just for kicks. It was pretty much gone by noon. Would have made a nice book end picture for my morel next to a cactus picture.. Do not like the 80's coming. Those big perfecto ones you got have been growing a while in the cool. I left some on a dark north slope today, to small to pick. Took the 16 big enough. :Maybe 2 weeks left to the season here in N. Mo. if it cools back down. The heat and rain will ruin what is up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No it did not Picker. I have not seen any effect on what was up. Which surprised me. I should have gone out and picked some in the snow that morning just for kicks. It was pretty much gone by noon. Would have made a nice book end picture for my morel next to a cactus picture.. Do not like the 80's coming. Those big perfecto ones you got have been growing a while in the cool. I left some on a dark north slope today, to small to pick. Took the 16 big enough. :Maybe 2 weeks left to the season here in N. Mo. if it cools back down. The heat and rain will ruin what is up.
Surprised me also kb. Getting a pic picking shrooms snowing like it was, would of been a good conversation piece and memory of a lifetime. Not a big fan of the 80's coming either. I think this is going to be the last week for my location. Have a good season bud.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got out this morning along the mo river a little outside stl, found a nice little hill with some cottonwoods up top. The south east side had about 30 medium yellows, most were in great shape but a few looked like they maybe got caught in a puddle after the melting snow, left those ones. The north west side had a few little guys, I’m hoping to take a day mid week to go back and explore when I have more time. I always have good luck on cottonwoods in more upland/hilly conditions, they are usually are surrounded by honeysuckle around stl which can make for some unforgiving picking, it’s tough crawling through those bushes, but well worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMG_20210425_103400.jpg IMG_20210419_144024.jpg

In Boone county the river bottom is producing small groups always near red and silver maple, cottonwood, box elder, and mulberry. A few made it through the snow but many came after. Also a lot of pleurotus on the cottonwood deadfall ...so early?

·
Registered
98 Posts
View attachment 38308 View attachment 38309

In Boone county the river bottom is producing small groups always near red and silver maple, cottonwood, box elder, and mulberry. A few made it through the snow but many came after. Also a lot of pleurotus on the cottonwood deadfall ...so early?
For whatever it’s worth - I thought the morel season was winding down last spring. Findings slowed and I began finding oysters.

Then, about a week later, morels exploded again...more so than earlier.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Surprised me also kb. Getting a pic picking shrooms snowing like it was, would of been a good conversation piece and memory of a lifetime. Not a big fan of the 80's coming either. I think this is going to be the last week for my location. Have a good season bud.
yeah, A couple more weeks of 62/42 would have been fine. I picked some really big ones today. The cool to cold and cloudy days has really preserved what came up. I have seen some incredible piles of gorgeous morels that folks have picked. I imagine I will be going into Iowa next weekend or sooner. You take care.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Got out this morning along the mo river a little outside stl, found a nice little hill with some cottonwoods up top. The south east side had about 30 medium yellows, most were in great shape but a few looked like they maybe got caught in a puddle after the melting snow, left those ones. The north west side had a few little guys, I’m hoping to take a day mid week to go back and explore when I have more time. I always have good luck on cottonwoods in more upland/hilly conditions, they are usually are surrounded by honeysuckle around stl which can make for some unforgiving picking, it’s tough crawling through those bushes, but well worth it.
We have that honeysuckle here in some of the hills and you are right it takes a tank or like you said crawling to get through it. It does shield the morels though because it leafs so early. Nasty invasive alien plant though if its the Asian bush stuff. I have had great luck on those hilltop cottons that get hit by lightning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have that honeysuckle here in some of the hills and you are right it takes a tank or like you said crawling to get through it. It does shield the morels though because it leafs so early. Nasty invasive alien plant though if its the Asian bush stuff. I have had great luck on those hilltop cottons that get hit by lightning.
Im sorry but its the old dirt pulling question again, most confirmed facebook posts here in Mo have been dug up and I leave a friendly reminder not to leave a hole and they start to attack me. Don't we always want to tread light for our future and everyone else?

121 - 140 of 150 Posts