Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
They got big and most stayed nice this year, those are beauties supplyguy. Good thing you made sure they did not go to waste and rot in the timber. The last 2 days of heat and wind did take its toll on some I picked today up near the Iowa border. Got almost 3#.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Really? I would love to know more about these.
Golden Chanterelles are my favorite ( even over morels) mushrooms. We start looking in late June and through out the summer. They are easy to identify and grow in large groups so they are fun to find. They also have a nice floral flavor and perfect for sauteing but not fry...at lease I have never tried deep fried. Here's a pic fro 2020.

Order you these 2 books. They are full of great information.
1) All that the rain promises and more. By David Arora
2) National Audubon Society - Field Guide to Mushrooms

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Golden Chanterelles are my favorite ( even over morels) mushrooms. We start looking in late June and through out the summer. They are easy to identify and grow in large groups so they are fun to find. They also have a nice floral flavor and perfect for sauteing but not fry...at lease I have never tried deep fried. Here's a pic fro 2020.

Order you these 2 books. They are full of great information.
1) All that the rain promises and more. By David Arora
2) National Audubon Society - Field Guide to Mushrooms

Good luck and happy hunting!
I like Chanterelles a lot also. It's fun to just get out in the woods and try to identify mushrooms whether they can be eaten or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like Chanterelles a lot also. It's fun to just get out in the woods and try to identify mushrooms whether they can be eaten or not.
I agree! Being outside in the woods is so relaxing for me. There is always some new fungi I stumble on and love researching and learning.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are they still up in Central Missouri?
I'm in NE MO. We're still finding the big yellows in the river bottoms. It's been a slow and short shrooming season up here. In total, I only have a gallon frozen so far.🙄 and had to walk miles to find those. We used to find 20 to 30 all in the same small area but not this year. Oh well, I worked off some winter chub and spent a lot of time in the woods. Life is good.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Found this pretty one in wv at Blackwater Falls. We found at least 25 different varieties on our hike. So much fun. View attachment 39062 View attachment 39063

[/QUOTE

Darned if that doesn't look like a Boletus Edulis. I have to admit that this is one of my leading species! I want to find one of these so bad! I've had no luck so far looking on the internet. I kind of understand where they grow, but I can't find that habitat in my area!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you're ever in Virginia or West Va, go to sky line drive in the Shenandoah mountains. They have a lot of easy hiking trails that you can see many different types of mushrooms. Its foggy up on the ridges which lends a great growing environment for most types of mushrooms. We found our first black trumpets there too. So much fun.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts