Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excited to be morel hunting this Spring in North Austin. I haven't been sense I was a kid with my Grandpa and that was in Missouri. I just read through the 2020 season thread glad to see that so many people are having success down here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone find black morels around east Texas? I have family in Indiana and they seem to find the black variety a few weeks or more before the others. Hopefully the slow rains and snow that we’ve had makes for a great season.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't. I used to find what I felt like were several distinct varieties in OR. Been in TX about 7 years now. At my morel spots, I see variation based on age (greyer when young moving towards yellower) but I consider them to be all the same variety. Here's a younger greyish one...yellower ones in pic above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was hopping for a early season but we are getting a cold blast that will last for a week nearly. Going to push morels back till late February at the earliest.
I agree that it seemed like the time was near, but this is Texas and we’re looking at record breaking low temps that are sure to slow it down. The good news is that some people believe that a later season is better for a morel season. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I agree that it seemed like the time was near, but this is Texas and we’re looking at record breaking low temps that are sure to slow it down. The good news is that some people believe that a later season is better for a morel season. Fingers crossed...
Let me raise my hand as one who doesn't. I live in NE Ohio, and it took forever for last spring to warm up. Everything was later than usual, and its usually late anyway up here. My best year of morel hunting I started finding them in early May, and found my last on May 23. My best time was when the apple and dogwood trees were blooming like crazy! You could stand under an apple tree and hear the constant hum of bees working all the flowers!

Last year, the apple trees looked like they had less than half their normal blooms and the crop was almost nonexistent. I'm hoping for something like a normal spring this year. I'm hoping that for all of us.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Soil temps are shooting up fast now. Most of my spots were pretty close to the 55 degree mark before the winter storm and deep freeze, which knocked temps back. 5 day averages (for open ag land) will likely break 55 this week. Most of my spots are still well short of 800 degree days, though. I've got no clear inclination on the impact of the freeze then fast warm-up, and we may still be a bit early...but I'll be out there this weekend.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me raise my hand as one who doesn't. I live in NE Ohio, and it took forever for last spring to warm up. Everything was later than usual, and its usually late anyway up here. My best year of morel hunting I started finding them in early May, and found my last on May 23. My best time was when the apple and dogwood trees were blooming like crazy! You could stand under an apple tree and hear the constant hum of bees working all the flowers!

Last year, the apple trees looked like they had less than half their normal blooms and the crop was almost nonexistent. I'm hoping for something like a normal spring this year. I'm hoping that for all of us.
It was a crap fruiting year last year. Peaches and blackberries were horrible but the morels were awesome for me. This weather only delayed them for a week or two. The weather is now prime for morels to start growing.....the ground needs to warm up just a little more. I'm already looking for those little grays that pop up first.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nothing popping yet at my early spots, but temps aren't quite there. 4" soil depth 52-54 degrees in the woods, and it actually went down by about 1 degree between Saturday and Tuesday at one prime spot. I know it's early, but I'm already ignoring non-essential duties to be in the woods.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts