Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never found any morels in Texas. I am located south of Austin. Where should I start looking? I go to Indiana every year to hunt with my cousin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hill Country is a large area. Can you get me a little closer? I usually head to Indiana toward the end of April. It would be great to find morels closer to home before I go. Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hill Country is a large area. Can you get me a little closer? I usually head to Indiana toward the end of April. It would be great to find morels closer to home before I go. Thanks, in advance.
Anywhere in the hill country where there is limestone and cedars, which is everywhere. I have found them in Gatesville Area which is the most Northern part of the hill country. Go after a rain

·
Registered
43 Posts
The conditions are looking good. The cold snap we had has cleared out a lot of the early undergrowth. Saw my first wildflowers blooming today. I've been poking around some hilly areas of DFW that also feature cedars. Anyone every come across morels growing in the same areas as cacti, such as prickly pear?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The conditions are looking good. The cold snap we had has cleared out a lot of the early undergrowth. Saw my first wildflowers blooming today. I've been poking around some hilly areas of DFW that also feature cedars. Anyone every come across morels growing in the same areas as cacti, such as prickly pear?
Actually yes and we have prickly pear here in east Texas too. The cactus stay small than their central Texas cousins. I think all we need now is a rain event to trigger them and we have that coming this weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's starting to green up but not with any fungi that I can find. All the rain they were forecasting hasn't materialized in North Central TX yet, but with it being as warm as it's been it's a little concerning as to what kind of season we'll have.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts