Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new here wanted to know if I can get assistance finding Morals in Indiana county

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, your post enticed me to sign up so I am officially new here too. I am in Indiana county and am also on the hunt for them. I’ve asked 2 people that I know that hunt them, and they will NOT even entertain the idea of taking me out and showing me how and where they look- I think out of fear of me dipping into their spots. Understandable... I guess. Anyhow I’ve been doing loads of reading how to find them, and while I am relatively busy with work and family, I would be up for teaming up and figuring them out. They eluded me last year and the year before, so it’s one of my life's goals at the moment to find even one haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, your post enticed me to sign up so I am officially new here too. I am in Indiana county and am also on the hunt for them. I’ve asked 2 people that I know that hunt them, and they will NOT even entertain the idea of taking me out and showing me how and where they look- I think out of fear of me dipping into their spots. Understandable... I guess. Anyhow I’ve been doing loads of reading how to find them, and while I am relatively busy with work and family, I would be up for teaming up and figuring them out. They eluded me last year and the year before, so it’s one of my life's goals at the moment to find even one haha

I'm so glad the 2021 Morel thread is up!!!!!!! :) I've been counting down since last year!!!!

I know how you feel, last year was my first attempt at finding them (I am in Lehigh County), and after 4 exhausting tries, my 5th time was a charm! As far as where to start, hard to say as I am no expert!!!! Morel Mushroom Sightings - Maps - The Great Morel will show you some reported sightings on a map but it's very general, I use it more so as an indicator that they are out and have been spotted!!! I don't think you'll find anyone divulging their exact locations unfortunately, but just read up on here. There are a lot of helpful threads that can tell you what types of trees to look for, what direction (north/east/south/west) to look for at what times, etc. I would just start walking on the trails you know of, and make sure to walk slowly and keep your eyes on the ground at all times!!!
I actually found mine last year on a fairly populated trail, it was funny because I was there rummaging through the surrounding woods with a bag, and people looked at me like I was crazy! One guy asked me if I was picking flowers lol. Since he clearly wasn't all that informed or interested in mushrooms I actually told him I was picking Morel mushrooms, and I showed him one. He had no clue what it was and asked me if they were "magic mushrooms"😂
My best advice is don't give up!!! And don't exclude ANY places out of general doubt (unless of course its some type of private property). The place I where I found mine would have never been a spot I guessed would have them! It just happened to be a place I would frequent anyway.
Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello all, I'm new here wanted to know if I can get assistance finding Morals in Indiana county
Absolutely, I'm in. I know a little from when I was I kid but cant seem to track any down. I live in Cherry Tree and have access to around 100 acres of woods to search. I do know it's a small window and it's coming up fast. Let get em !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely, I'm in. I know a little from when I was I kid but cant seem to track any down. I live in Cherry Tree and have access to around 100 acres of woods to search. I do know it's a small window and it's coming up fast. Let get em !!
ok sounds good. I’m from Marion center area. I’ve been doing some preliminary scouting in areas around blue spruce and yellow creek. Just generally looking for the specific trees associated with them. Especially the dying/partially dying elms (I think... I’m not an expert on trees either-especially without the leaves.) and hickory and ash... some black cherry... especially around areas that have sycamores and tulip poplars. 100 acres sounds great though. I’ll keep checking here with you for a game plan. I hope my schedule permits me at least a day or two to get at it with another hunter such as yourself. It may be hit or miss considering my wife and I are expecting a baby around mid may... but I will try my best to get some time available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok sounds good. I’m from Marion center area. I’ve been doing some preliminary scouting in areas around blue spruce and yellow creek. Just generally looking for the specific trees associated with them. Especially the dying/partially dying elms (I think... I’m not an expert on trees either-especially without the leaves.) and hickory and ash... some black cherry... especially around areas that have sycamores and tulip poplars. 100 acres sounds great though. I’ll keep checking here with you for a game plan. I hope my schedule permits me at least a day or two to get at it with another hunter such as yourself. It may be hit or miss considering my wife and I are expecting a baby around mid may... but I will try my best to get some time available.
Good deal, congratulations on the baby coming

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is great! My wife and I live within walking distance of White's woods near IUP. We lived in Maryland last year and found morels in our front yard! That was our first experience and they were delicious.

I've looked for mushrooms this year and haven't found any but if you're ever looking for someone to mushroom hunt with let me know!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a friend in Whites Woods. I need all the help I can get. My 83 year old father i craving them. We should start a club or at least combine forces. Pinky or Honey mushrooms are my cup of tea . I find tons in the fall and i am willing to share my spots with you guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a friend in Whites Woods. I need all the help I can get. My 83 year old father i craving them. We should start a club or at least combine forces. Pinky or Honey mushrooms are my cup of tea . I find tons in the fall and i am willing to share my spots with you guys.
Thanks! How often are you in Indiana? We usually go hiking/biking on the weekends and would love to look together 👍🏻

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here is a good video on elm identification
It is a fast start to spring down here in SW PA and the elms are with greenery and their seed pods already :oops:; this is waaaaay early for them. There is no mistake when looking up and identifying with the seed pods on. Another great place to gain valuable knowledge is viewing the various youtube videos by Learn Your Land. Enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is a fast start to spring down here in SW PA and the elms are with greenery and their seed pods already :oops:; this is waaaaay early for them. There is no mistake when looking up and identifying with the seed pods on. Another great place to gain valuable knowledge is viewing the various youtube videos by Learn Your Land. Enjoy the hunt.
this guy, and Adam from learn your land have been my morel prophets lately. Great information for sure. My wife is humorously exhausted from me watching these videos.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've hunted mushrooms with my Dad for as long as I can remember. We had picked everything but the mighty morel?? Dad says he didn't know about them. Learned about them and read/watched everything I could. Went out and applied what I learned and learned a ton more just by doing. I was fortunate to find morels my very first outing which was too many years ago. I've even been blessed to find the mother load but they were all past their prime. It was gut wrenching and joy all at the same time. My Dad is 80 now and I'm thrilled just getting enough to cook for him. It's all about the hunt for me . . . eating them is great but the hunt even better! Look forward to seeing your finds . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
best advise I can give is to really learn your trees. I spend lots of time just driving around and scouting trees and making note of areas worth exploring when the time is right. I target dead or dying elms first, then tulip poplar, then ash....old apple trees are probably the most likely to produce but I avoid most found under Apple trees unless I know the history of that orchard. in the early 1900’s lead arsenic was used as pesticide and its remains in the soil to this day. Morels are know to uptake lead and arsenic.

watch as many videos on tree association as you can find. Get good at spotting these stands while driving. Keep good notes and mark areas on GPS.
if you want to keep a good spot producing for years don’t harvest every single morel in that spot. Leave some behind.

best of luck. It’s an addictive hobby!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool thanks
best advise I can give is to really learn your trees. I spend lots of time just driving around and scouting trees and making note of areas worth exploring when the time is right. I target dead or dying elms first, then tulip poplar, then ash....old apple trees are probably the most likely to produce but I avoid most found under Apple trees unless I know the history of that orchard. in the early 1900’s lead arsenic was used as pesticide and its remains in the soil to this day. Morels are know to uptake lead and arsenic.

watch as many videos on tree association as you can find. Get good at spotting these stands while driving. Keep good notes and mark areas on GPS.
if you want to keep a good spot producing for years don’t harvest every single morel in that spot. Leave some behind.

best of luck. It’s an addictive hobby!
Thank you do much for the advise. I'm heading in the woods right now to mark locations where there are dead trees and hopefully it will pan out. Do they grow better after a good rain ? Its gonna rain here tonight. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cool thanks

Thank you do much for the advise. I'm heading in the woods right now to mark locations where there are dead trees and hopefully it will pan out. Do they grow better after a good rain ? Its gonna rain here tonight. Thanks again.
we are behind schedule here this year. First I found last year were end of April into mid May. I’m in the poconos in pike county so as far north and east as you can get... yes a couple/few days after rain is best but soil temps 50-55 I have found are more important. We had 50* soil here yesterday but the week average was still about 40*... you can pick up a soil thermometer off Amazon for about 15 bucks but this site will help till then..east facing slopes this time of year are best as they get the most direct sun. I did a quick look around my early sports yesterday and nothing yet. Starting to see the very tips of ramps coming up which is encouraging

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thank you for posting and linking this vid. I love the time of year when driving down the road I see what looks like a green "mist" hanging in a tree top. Now I know what to do about that!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Learning as I go..have yet to of heard of this green "mist" care to share? Ty in advance.
I believe it is in reference to elm tree seed pod growth. While other trees are still bare, or barely budding in early spring, elm trees are noticeably covered in relatively visible green seed pods. Up close they look like tiny balls covering the ends of the branches but at a distance it looks as if the tree has pretty substantial buds. Get a few elms close together and it looks as if a section of trees(from a distance) are shrouded in green “mist.” As I’ve driven around lately, especially last week, while looking at a hillside full of bare trees I often see one or two covered in green and am pretty confident it’s an elm. It’s either that or a willow. Even elms along roads... at a distance I’m like-whoa that has to be an elm. All the other trees are still very bare, or have reddish buds except “that” one. Vase shape, green top... that’s what I’ve been looking for. Then when I get closer and get a good look at the bark confirms it 90% of the time. The other 10% are mistaken(at first) willows, although those are pretty distinguishable once you get a little closer. I’m still new but that’s my current understanding of the green mist.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts