Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been watching around Lenoir and local area but nothing yet. Don't seem to be any schroomers around here.
It won't be long now. May be some early ones coming up. I'm going out this weekend around asheville and reems creek barnardsville area. I know of a really good place that produces every year. Going to check there soon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Eidolon, are you an avid schroomer? We just moved here and Ive been scouting trees all winter. Any advice for a Md guy who loves morels?
I am in NE GA. They are up, here, in places, big ones, but the areas that I know have produced in the past are showing me nothing right now. My May apple patches have not even come up, which is weird. Exactly one year ago, they were going full steam. The weather was hot and dry for weeks here, no rain, and temps were regularly up near 80 degrees 3 weeks ago. Now we've had 2 days of good rain, but it's gotten chilly again...Hunting morels in the South is not like it is up North; they are HARD to find here. I will only be looking in Western North Carolina, mountainous area. Down here in N GA, we have to hunt stream beds in the flatland, where oaks have given way to sycamores, beeches, ash, hackberries, tulip poplars. The presence of privet helps a lot. Sandy soil, not red clay. I looked in an ash grove near the Little Tennessee River last weekend, what looks like an ideal place to hunt, but saw no sign of any morels (yet). I'm about 2 hours south of there in GA and I'm not finding any either, although folks have found them around me, posted on facebook. I just came back from about 2.5 hours of walking along the water, saw nothing more than a 4-foot snake I almost stepped right on...

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am in NE GA. They are up, here, in places, big ones, but the areas that I know have produced in the past are showing me nothing right now. My May apple patches have not even come up, which is weird. Exactly one year ago, they were going full steam. The weather was hot and dry for weeks here, no rain, and temps were regularly up near 80 degrees 3 weeks ago. Now we've had 2 days of good rain, but it's gotten chilly again...Hunting morels in the South is not like it is up North; they are HARD to find here. I will only be looking in Western North Carolina, mountainous area. Down here in N GA, we have to hunt stream beds in the flatland, where oaks have given way to sycamores, beeches, ash, hackberries, tulip poplars. The presence of privet helps a lot. Sandy soil, not red clay. I looked in an ash grove near the Little Tennessee River last weekend, what looks like an ideal place to hunt, but saw no sign of any morels (yet). I'm about 2 hours south of there in GA and I'm not finding any either, although folks have found them around me, posted on facebook. I just came back from about 2.5 hours of walking along the water, saw nothing more than a 4-foot snake I almost stepped right on...
They are not exactly easy to find up here unless you happen to live in Michigan or Indiana. I live in NE Ohio and am thankful for every one that I find!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're tough to find in MD too. Took me years of looking to develop eve 2-3 great spots. Hope to find some here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won't be long now. May be some early ones coming up. I'm going out this weekend around asheville and reems creek barnardsville area. I know of a really good place that produces every year. Going to check there soon.
Im seeing here in the Lenoir area that most of the woods are coniferous vs good hardwood trees. Been keeping my eyes out for sycamore, tulip popular and elm but no luck yet.

It's time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out yesterday for several hours. Lots of growth (trillion and May apples) but no shrooms yet. Hoping to see one pop soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anybody is in the asheville area I can show you a good spot. I've been considering doing a guided trip type thing. Not for money just to share the morel hunting and make friends.
I was born and raised in asheville, now I live in Sylva but recently got into Morel hunting (I'm very much a novice). I'd take you up on that

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anybody is in the asheville area I can show you a good spot. I've been considering doing a guided trip type thing. Not for money just to share the morel hunting and make friends.
Hey! I'll be in Asheville next weekend (April
Hey! I will be in Asheville next weekend (April 2-4th) and plan on going hunting. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been watching around Lenoir and local area but nothing yet. Don't seem to be any schroomers around here.
Moved from TX to NC last week. Originally from Indiana where we found them daily during the season. Been out twice in a couple days on the Wake Forest area in nothing yet. Anxiously awaiting!! GOOD LUCK !!

·
Registered
44 Posts
checked 4spots in SC yesterady but nothing yet. Grond cover way behind last year. TOO Early. 3/25 to 3/30 usually peak season but not this year

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Hickory but I'm totally down...even if it's just for the hike and to meet new friends 😊

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI, Has anyone here ever found Morel Mushrooms around Jordan Lake, NC. I have been looking with no success. Wondering if I am wasting my time.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
44 Posts
HI, Has anyone here ever found Morel Mushrooms around Jordan Lake, NC. I have been looking with no success. Wondering if I am wasting my time.
Thanks for any input.
Not necessarily. I would say you have to look for the right type of ecosystems around the lake. Older/mature forests, mixed hardwoods (I like to find poplars), near flood plains from small streams, etc.
walk around enough this time of year and you’re.bound to see something interesting 😁

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not necessarily. I would say you have to look for the right type of ecosystems around the lake. Older/mature forests, mixed hardwoods (I like to find poplars), near flood plains from small streams, etc.
walk around enough this time of year and you’re.bound to see something interesting 😁
I'm in NE GA, have been hunting them for 4 years. I have never seen one close to a lake. Those with much more experience than I have say that, in the South, you'll only find them beside running water. The "blacks" might be found high up on hillsides, but the ones near water want running water, so they say. My 2 cents...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for any input.
I've looked quite a bit around Jordan lake and haven't come up with any, but there are probably some around. I think morels are just scarce around here. I have found some west of Jordan lake along the Haw, but not many. I've got a few places in the area where I've found them, but I've never come up with more than a hat full, some years none. At least morel season is a good time for a walk in the woods. :)

PS Don't give up.
PPS I just realized that my experience matches eidolon's advice.
PPPS If you walk along the Haw River much, you will see snakes. Just be aware. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have to agree with the above. There are just some places that are "shroomier" than others. There a golf course that we play that is probably the shroomiest place I've ever seen. They are everywhere! Especially boletes! And I've seen some beautiful oysters growing on some of the tree there. I would never take anything, because golf courses use pesticides and herbicides.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts