Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found 15 blacks in far western NC this evening! They were a bit higher up in the hills which explains why I’ve struck out along the creek beds so far. They’re smaller and a little dried out from our warm and sunny weather this week but I’m just happy to be on the board. Photo is what we found in one roadside spot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've looked quite a bit around Jordan lake and haven't come up with any, but there are probably some around. I think morels are just scarce around here. I have found some west of Jordan lake along the Haw, but not many. I've got a few places in the area where I've found them, but I've never come up with more than a hat full, some years none. At least morel season is a good time for a walk in the woods. :)

PS Don't give up.
PPS I just realized that my experience matches eidolon's advice.
PPPS If you walk along the Haw River much, you will see snakes. Just be aware. :)
Thanks for your input - I still have not found any in the areas I walk, but between yours and eidolon's advice, I might focus on the ares where water runs INTO the lake rather than where the lake floods. Either way I love hiking around the lake so I will continue to do so enjoyingly! But finding a Morel would make it super exciting as well!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Found 15 blacks in far western NC this evening! They were a bit higher up in the hills which explains why I’ve struck out along the creek beds so far. They’re smaller and a little dried out from our warm and sunny weather this week but I’m just happy to be on the board. Photo is what we found in one roadside spot.

Where do you look for black morels in the mountains? I’m in the piedmont and haven’t found many around here. Do they tend to be with different trees? Different habitats?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I might focus on the ares where water runs INTO the lake rather than where the lake floods.
I have been told, and I believe it's correct, that if an area is flooded such that water stands on it for about 5 days, it will kill or inhibit morel mycelium from producing mushrooms that year, and for several years more. I am in NE GA and we had LOTS of rain in the early Spring in 2020, and it was even worse in 2019. Areas that flooded then have not produced ANY morels here this year, and the season is about done with where I am...I don't think "overnight" flooding is a big deal, but if it's significant, it's going to make a problem for mushroom hunting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Found 15 blacks in far western NC this evening! They were a bit higher up in the hills which explains why I’ve struck out along the creek beds so far. They’re smaller and a little dried out from our warm and sunny weather this week but I’m just happy to be on the board. Photo is what we found in one roadside spot. View attachment 37361
You found those in Washington Co. NC?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where do you look for black morels in the mountains? I’m in the piedmont and haven’t found many around here. Do they tend to be with different trees? Different habitats?
You know, it's really funny--they were not at all where I would have expected them. Around my home in Ohio they're a bit more predictable--in our old apple orchard and around a couple of big trees. But here they were all along a park service roadside, mostly on the flat shoulder in the dry leaf litter from fall. We only found a couple on the more "typical" mossy bank on the other side of the road. But no trees within 10 feet at least. We eventually concluded these things just have no rhyme or reason sometimes. 😂

·
Registered
107 Posts
No, sorry, my name is misleading! I'm from Washington County, Ohio, but recently moved to out west of Asheville. Haven't gotten around to thinking up a new name yet :)
I thought it looked MIGHTY hilly in the back of that photo, to have been taken so close to the Carolina coast...Thanks, I'm going hunting up there in WNC starting tomorrow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You know, it's really funny--they were not at all where I would have expected them. Around my home in Ohio they're a bit more predictable--in our old apple orchard and around a couple of big trees. But here they were all along a park service roadside, mostly on the flat shoulder in the dry leaf litter from fall. We only found a couple on the more "typical" mossy bank on the other side of the road. But no trees within 10 feet at least. We eventually concluded these things just have no rhyme or reason sometimes. 😂
The only person I know who finds these "blacks" in the mountains in N. Ga. (where I live) lives at a pretty high elevation just north of a development called Big Canoe. She spotted a patch of the blacks up on a ridge in her neighborhood a few years ago, just right beside the road where she walks for exercise. I can't imagine how you would actually hunt for these things in the hills, and I get the strong idea that most of them seem to be found by game hunters, in the particular areas where they're mostly looking for deer and turkeys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only person I know who finds these "blacks" in the mountains in N. Ga. (where I live) lives at a pretty high elevation just north of a development called Big Canoe. She spotted a patch of the blacks up on a ridge in her neighborhood a few years ago, just right beside the road where she walks for exercise. I can't imagine how you would actually hunt for these things in the hills, and I get the strong idea that most of them seem to be found by game hunters, in the particular areas where they're mostly looking for deer and turkeys.
Yep, that’s how the local I went with found all his. He wasn’t even into it until one year his son found one while they were turkey hunting and decided to look for more. Over the years they gradually found good spots. I think you really just have to run into them. Good luck with your NC hunt!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Been finding them, some fresh, some old. Most are small and hard to spot (White morels).

Maybe some rain will get a flush out

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been watching around Lenoir and local area but nothing yet. Don't seem to be any schroomers around here.
I've
Been watching around Lenoir and local area but nothing yet. Don't seem to be any schroomers around here.
Nothing yet in Rowan County. Searched my honey holes throughly this morning. Hopefully these storms will bring the out.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts