Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's nice to see the red buds starting local. Starting to get the morel itch, thinking we will be a little later this year, Mid April 20's for first blacks me think. Will not be traveling to much this year will stay local. Local for me is PA. Stay safe and Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happy 2021!
So long as, in the final weeks leading up to the season, the weather is optimal or even just normal... I’m predicting an excellent season for all of the reasons we’ve discussed many times over the years. Possibly among the best in 20 years.
Regardless... it’ll be happy hunting!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Had lows in the 20's, and snow on the ground for 2 of the last 3 mornings! Thank god nothing was showing yet. It's still early here in NE Ohio/NW PA. A good month before I've ever found anything.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Glad to see that you all made through the winter. I think its going to be a while in my area too. Well I got a little trout fishing to do before I get serious about morel hunting anyway. Last year they cancelled the trout tournaments that I get in, so there was no conflict with the morels starting early. This year should be good timing. I saw a couple of trout close to the size of that one you caught last year trahn, but didn't manage to hook on to any.

·
Registered
250 Posts
o_O 80 degrees here today with 75+ forecasted for the next 5 days. A 30% chance of rain on Friday and 40% on Sunday. We sooooo need it. May be travelin' to the northern part of the state this year . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
o_O 80 degrees here today with 75+ forecasted for the next 5 days. A 30% chance of rain on Friday and 40% on Sunday. We sooooo need it. May be travelin' to the northern part of the state this year . . .
Im in cambria county. How far out do you predict theyll be for me? We.ve had plenty of snow, rain, and now warm weather. Im gonna walk a few spots today to see whats comin up. Im sure my ramp spots are heating up too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Im in cambria county. How far out do you predict theyll be for me? We.ve had plenty of snow, rain, and now warm weather. Im gonna walk a few spots today to see whats comin up. Im sure my ramp spots are heating up too.
I was up in Jefferson County for Easter; leeks/ramps are up and the ruby-throated hummingbird has been spotted near Pittsburgh and already north of I-80. I find a direct correlation between their migration and finding morels. I have heard of several reports in both Greene and Indiana counties for blacks. They are definitely starting but I would wait for some rain to give them some growth . . . not worth damaging what you can't see. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope this heat doesn’t get them popping too early... otherwise I might have to take back that excellent season prediction.

second half of April is supposed to get cold so that may help.

Things are greening quickly here in SWPA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to see that you all made through the winter. I think its going to be a while in my area too. Well I got a little trout fishing to do before I get serious about morel hunting anyway. Last year they cancelled the trout tournaments that I get in, so there was no conflict with the morels starting early. This year should be good timing. I saw a couple of trout close to the size of that one you caught last year trahn, but didn't manage to hook on to any.

Beagle... “trout tourneys”? Are they fly fishing tourneys?

I just started straight line nymphing ( Euro style etc) ... made a world of difference in success. Not quite ready for a tourney but certainly sounds interesting.

Sorry... perhaps for a new thread.

·
Registered
625 Posts
No, it's all tackle. You fish for tagged fish usually from $10 to $1000. The entry fee usually run from $25 to $35 and the ones I get in benefit fire companys and youth programs like 4H. The streams get a little crowded but most fisherman are quite sociable. Its a lot of fun, every trout you get on might be tagged and could be the big money one. Most tournaments they must be turned in alive And after the tag is removed they are returned to the stream..

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was out fishing today and found a nice patch of ramps. I was surprised how big they were already. I am going to check a spot where I found some black morels last year probably on monday. Last week I didn't think it was close to time yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They started last week her in swpa, we need a little rain to drive the next flush.
Where at in swpa? Like what county? Im in cambria, but on the indiana/clearfield/cambria county lines. Im in a mushroom mecca!!! But the past few years have been shite

·
Registered
Chicken, chanterelles, morels, oysters, and boletes.
36 Posts
Looking back on last year, I found whites on the 13th of April, through the 18th in Blair county. This morning I went hiking down in Fulton and the only thing I saw was birch polypore. Last year I saw some sites that interested me. However, where I normally go, I like to look for the nettles to be so high, the red buds to be bright and visible but not open, and the service berry to be out and blooming. Today I looked around apple trees, poplars, and around some elm and ash. I see all the clear signs but everything is still buttoned up tighter than a beach house during a hurricane. I feel almost like we are almost 2 weeks behind this year. Does anyone else agree?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts