Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
A decent day, mixture of really small and nice size. got turned around heading back to my vehicle and got too deep into a thicket. Stopped to get my bearings, looked down and a perfect morel is basically touching my boot! Then based on my law of there always being at least one more I had to crawl on my knees into the briar bush to find another. Finally broke through the thicket and hit the path back to the car, where I found two more in the open on the edge of the path. Gotta love it. Also I have found these very light yellows in the same spot the last 2 years, does anyone have experience with that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Half frees are more stem, less cap. Also known as peckerheads. The stem attaches to the cap about halfway up into the cap- hence the cap is half- free from the stem. Easy to see and understand if you cut them in half vertically.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice finds everyone. I went out yesterday in the 85 degree heat; came home w/three dried shrooms. The forest floor was much greener but ooohhhh so dry!! The only other shrooms I saw were an old puffball and some turkey tails. My spots that produce are bare . . . blaming it on the heat. We are getting a good soaking; been rainin' all day and s'pose to rain ☔ all night. 1st day of turkey 2mrw and more rain. Think I'll head out Sunday. 30903F61-E873-4B4D-A179-C9C4FD19ACF0.jpeg 51C7116E-963B-439B-B077-5812C8795D8F.jpeg C94B3B47-CAAE-4A4A-8857-AB841261A1F2.jpeg 237FA1E1-41E8-40AD-B7BA-FBE01A936B5B.jpeg

·
Registered
732 Posts
Are the smaller ones half frees? They don’t look like true morels although their stems are hollow?
Yet, they are a true morel. Their taxonomic name is Morchella semilibera. Morchella meaning morel, and semilibera meaning half-free. The only thing about half-frees is that they do have a poisonous look alike. And those are the Verpas. However, they are easy to tell apart. If there's some white, cottony fuzz in the stem, it's a Verpa and should be avoided. if the shroom is completely hollow, it's a morel since all morels are completely hollow!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey everyone. Don’t you love finding them when your not even looking? It’s been pretty cold over here so I think the blacktop and concrete retained enough heat to get this guy going. Never would have seen it if the mail carrier had walked the package 10 more yards to the porch. I went from annoyed to elated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rain last couple days set everything off up here in pike county pa. Drove dirt roads spotting elms for a couple hours today With the kids after school. I find that method is very effective

Attachments

41 - 60 of 118 Posts