Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Found today it's been dry in Lawrence county. Got some rain earlier in the week. A few of my producing spots have been a bust.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow nice finds
The rain last couple days set everything off up here in pike county pa. Drove dirt roads spotting elms for a couple hours today With the kids after school. I find that method is very effective
. Got any tips for spotting elms while driving. I've been looking hard last couple years and just missing them I guess bought a book and looked at videos online. They say there's not a lot left in my area but I feel like I should at least be able to spot some smaller slippery elms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Barnacle not sure how they got those packages to you with the address all blacked out, you must have an excellent mail carrier. Happy Hunting!
I love that photo and the sense of humor but @trahn008 could you point out in the photo what may have been a barrier for that morel????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow nice finds

. Got any tips for spotting elms while driving. I've been looking hard last couple years and just missing them I guess bought a book and looked at videos online. They say there's not a lot left in my area but I feel like I should at least be able to spot some smaller slippery elms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
if you’re in PA they are in your area. They just don’t often grow to maturity anymore. But they can still be found 70ft+ tall easily. For me it’s the bark and the buttresses where the tree meets the ground. They can actually resemble white oak but oak won’t have the distinctive buttresses. The buds are also unique . They look like bundles of small Brussels sprouts against the sky. Very bright green. I heard someone mention a green mist. I’ve never seen that as a good clue. I can say that look for sycamore and elms are likely nearby. They like to grow near water but can still be a mile or so from a water source. look sycamores and then when you find them look for elms ...it’s kinda like finding morels. They are tough to spot until you finally ID one. Then they appear to be all over the place.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I read an article some years ago that indicated that elms will always be around. They have to reach a certain age before they are vulnerable to the Dutch Elm Disease, and reach sexual maturity before then. So they can make seeds before the disease kills them. And there can be the odd older survivor. I've seen pics on the internet. Usually there is a small percentage of a population that will prove immune to a new disease.

61 - 80 of 166 Posts