Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Awesome finds. It's been a weird year for me. For the 4 the day of may I'm finding a lot more rotten ones than usual. All my tried and true spots except one didn't produce. I've had to search out more new spots and found a few good ones. It's amazing how good areas will just suddenly turn off.
Thankfully, I haven't had whole areas quit on me yet, unless something major happens like construction or logging. I have had elm trees play out but most of the time there were other trees to take their place. One thing that has been different for me over the years is that I don't have the amount of apple trees to hunt that I had in the 70's thru the 90's. Some of the ground changed ownership. Some the trees just died out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thankfully, I haven't had whole areas quit on me yet, unless something major happens like construction or logging. I have had elm trees play out but most of the time there were other trees to take their place. One thing that has been different for me over the years is that I don't have the amount of apple trees to hunt that I had in the 70's thru the 90's. Some of the ground changed ownership. Some the trees just died out.
I used to hunt an old orchard, they logged it. Never seen another morel their again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your are so right beagleboy, over the years of picking we are loosing areas more then we want with this logging and especially the construction that is going on and on everywhere. and it's getting harder and harder every year to find new places to hunt and getting older doesn't help either.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Beagle, any guidance about when you find small ones and decide to let them grow? How long is too long and they cross the line to too far gone?
There are many things to consider which is different for each person and situation. What size is worth picking, if it is in an area that is picked by other people, if conditions are going to be favorable for growth and are they done growing. I have found that if they have dried out like a lot of them were this year you should just pick them because when we get rain and warmth those will just mold and rot. Some types don't get real big, if the ridges are tight together they probably have some growth left if there is moisture and warmth in the forcast. You will know if they are too far gone they are usually soggy to the touch, sometimes have white mold, a bad smell, and just a an overall rotten look to them. When we have cold snaps like we did this year any mushrooms that are above the leaf litter will get black on top, they are still good I just cut that part off. When temperatures start hitting 80 degrees the ones that are up go real quick, so get out and pick your spots as soon as you can. The temps are supposed to come down in my area with moisture so I hope it lasts another week here. I hope this helped some.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are many things to consider which is different for each person and situation. What size is worth picking, if it is in an area that is picked by other people, if conditions are going to be favorable for growth and are they done growing. I have found that if they have dried out like a lot of them were this year you should just pick them because when we get rain and warmth those will just mold and rot. Some types don't get real big, if the ridges are tight together they probably have some growth left if there is moisture and warmth in the forcast. You will know if they are too far gone they are usually soggy to the touch, sometimes have white mold, a bad smell, and just a an overall rotten look to them. When we have cold snaps like we did this year any mushrooms that are above the leaf litter will get black on top, they are still good I just cut that part off. When temperatures start hitting 80 degrees the ones that are up go real quick, so get out and pick your spots as soon as you can. The temps are supposed to come down in my area with moisture so I hope it lasts another week here. I hope this helped some.
Appreciate the insight. Thanks

101 - 120 of 166 Posts