Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Waiting too... Thinking of going a little south to find them this year. I am currently doing nothing anyways but I am in Jamestown and from what I understand you need to go East due to most our forests here being cut down for the Furniture industry in the mid 1880's til the 1970's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waiting too... Thinking of going a little south to find them this year. I am currently doing nothing anyways but I am in Jamestown and from what I understand you need to go East due to most our forests here being cut down for the Furniture industry in the mid 1880's til the 1970's.
Jamestown is a heavily wooded area of New York State. State lands north and east of you. And south west of Chautauqua lake.
Since the 1930’s New York’s forested area have tripled, due to abandonment of tougher farmground.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jamestown is a heavily wooded area of New York State. State lands north and east of you. And south west of Chautauqua lake.
Since the 1930’s New York’s forested area have tripled, due to abandonment of tougher farmground.
You're not wrong there about having the woods, however I think morels have something to do with old growth forests as well as something to do with a certain amount of range around the Eastern side of Lake Erie where Morels don't grow, I have literally found everything else but no morels. I find Pheasant backs by the lbs, Shure I am in the Southern part of the county mostly. Closest anyone finds them to me is around Salamanca, NY. An I have talked to a lot of local mushroom hunters which I am getting a lot of this information about.... plus the apple orchards may have them but with the 'lead' issue from it being in fertilizers in the early 1900's I am scared to hunt them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I moved to NYC recently from Michigan where I was an avid morel hunter. I was wondering whether there were any organized morel hunting trips in the Hudson Valley area? I would like to go with a group and/or guide. Thanks! Abby

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heavy snow over the winter, seriously warm weather for the past week, now a soaking rain - anyone else thinking this is going to be bumper year for our little buddies? Hudson Valley, at least.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Weather says highs in the 60s lows in the 40s for next 2 weeks. Grass not nearly ready for mowing but what's the possibility of of April flush? Has anyone ever picked in April?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're not wrong there about having the woods, however I think morels have something to do with old growth forests as well as something to do with a certain amount of range around the Eastern side of Lake Erie where Morels don't grow, I have literally found everything else but no morels. I find Pheasant backs by the lbs, Shure I am in the Southern part of the county mostly. Closest anyone finds them to me is around Salamanca, NY. An I have talked to a lot of local mushroom hunters which I am getting a lot of this information about.... plus the apple orchards may have them but with the 'lead' issue from it being in fertilizers in the early 1900's I am scared to hunt them.
I'm in Jamestown as well. It's tough hunting morels in this area. I've found mostly blacks and fairly early. Ash and old apple are my best indicators. Maybe with the ash die-off will help fire a few spots up the next few years. Having a good amount of oysters, puffballs, and hens makes it worth the walk for me. I have heard it's better out east of Olean. May take a trip out and see in the next couple weeks if I hear they've fired up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are your go-to trees in NY? I've had all my luck under dying apples. Some dying elm. Once I found a motherlode under a healthy oak. Never had any luck under tulip poplars, I think that must be a southern thing? Also never under conifers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are your go-to trees in NY? I've had all my luck under dying apples. Some dying elm. Once I found a motherlode under a healthy oak. Never had any luck under tulip poplars, I think that must be a southern thing? Also never under conifers.
I e had luck under tulip poplar in Rochester area never around oak though, what county did you find them by oak?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I e had luck under tulip poplar in Rochester area never around oak though, what county did you find them by oak?
Orange. And I believe it was a scarlet oak, which is pretty uncommon.
Do you find them under healthy or dying tulips?
Any luck under black cherry?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts