Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

181 - 200 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hey folks, looking for advice!

I'm back to posting after my first haul. I've harvested about 40 half free morels (need to get a scale) from last year's discovered PG and a new site I scouted this year.

What's troubling me is that I've only found 1 specimen of a different species. All I seem to get are halfies, and then yesterday just 1 yellow morel (found in the same exact place I found it last year but again, no other yellows to be found around it).

View attachment 39149

Yesterday's find all cut in half, yellow morel in the top right corner.

If anyone can weigh in: do you think I'm just finding areas that happen to be dominated by half-frees? Is it a regional thing (central new york, fingerlakes region)? Or is it seasonal; do the half frees come out first and I should keep hitting my spots/ scouting new ones in the coming weeks to find yellows and blacks?

I'm having so much luck finding halfies, it's bizarre to me that I've only found 1 other species...
I have run on to ground that favored half frees exclusively. Other times I find them amongst a colony of yellows. It makes me think that Yellows prefer a specific type of soil whilst the HF are less discriminating. Just a guess. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hit 3 pg spots yesterday with negative results, figured out it's one of three things..

1) My pg 's arent pg's anymore
2) Eyesight's failing due to aging
3) Still to early

Hoping its #3
I’m hoping the same we checked a few of our honey holes and nothing :/ but we have found yellows already so I’m not sure what’s going on! :/

·
Registered
11 Posts
After more than a decade I finally found my first dying elm with a payout. Much to the likes of our sages, Geo and Hobler. I have never passed and Apple or elm in the woods with out a look. However, I have never found more than a few under either. In Otsego County my primary bounty comes from white ash. Today in Albany County, the elm put out. I too had my little good luck charm with me. We pull 147 off one tree. We left, 30 more fresh ones that we could see. Would have left more to grow, but it was a very public and blatant spot. Which I guess is a good sign that no one else is really searching in that area because there were plenty of large ones to spot. The tree itself appeared to be very new to its downward spiral. Very little bark sluffing off and still some green buds. Can’t wait to get back out and really explore that area this weekend!

·
Registered
429 Posts
After more than a decade I finally found my first dying elm with a payout. Much to the likes of our sages, Geo and Hobler. I have never passed and Apple or elm in the woods with out a look. However, I have never found more than a few under either. In Otsego County my primary bounty comes from white ash. Today in Albany County, the elm put out. I too had my little good luck charm with me. We pull 147 off one tree. We left, 30 more fresh ones that we could see. Would have left more to grow, but it was a very public and blatant spot. Which I guess is a good sign that no one else is really searching in that area because there were plenty of large ones to spot. The tree itself appeared to be very new to its downward spiral. Very little bark sluffing off and still some green buds. Can’t wait to get back out and really explore that area this weekend! View attachment 39265
That's great Milton! Very exciting to find those motherloard elms and to have ur lucky charm to share it with is even better. Congratulations

181 - 200 of 307 Posts