Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I found the blacks in a spot I only found yellows at last year. I was little earlier this year, I either missed them last year or it was too dry. The trees around were hickory tulip and some soft maple. For being in a patch they didn’t seem to be associated with any perticular tree. 20-30 feet from a dead elm that produces yellows. Again I don’t think they were associated with a perticular tree. My advice to find a patch like this is to cover ground, look in the distance, couldn’t miss the black cone shape on the lighter colored leaf litter. Yellows blend in better, I say that but then I thought every black speck in the woods was a shroom, very congregated to one area though. I’ll take a pic of habitat when I go back for the yellows.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Went out to check a bunch of new ground here in Albany. I found a ton of perfect Elm’s with no luck. Until I almost got back to the car. 20 that I could see. Most not bigger than the first knuckle on my pinky. They have at least another week and a half to go. But at least I have some new PG!!! Always exciting. Also found this great Elm, got closer and realized this wasn’t the bumper flush I was looking for. I haven’t looked them up yet. The entire tree was surrounded by them. Anyone know what they are? View attachment 38734
Compare to Coprinellus sect micaceus. Aka- Common Inky Caps.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Went out to check a bunch of new ground here in Albany. I found a ton of perfect Elm’s with no luck. Until I almost got back to the car. 20 that I could see. Most not bigger than the first knuckle on my pinky. They have at least another week and a half to go. But at least I have some new PG!!! Always exciting. Also found this great Elm, got closer and realized this wasn’t the bumper flush I was looking for. I haven’t looked them up yet. The entire tree was surrounded by them. Anyone know what they are? View attachment 38734
Great report! Micas, methinks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Great finds guys! I hit the woods for 3 hrs today and got skunked. I think it is at least a week early here in Onondaga County.
I concur, Walked far and wide yesterday checking all my PG's and only scored on one south facing slope. Next weekend will be better,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Calling in from Tompkins County! 2nd year hunting and already doubled our findings from last year.

Found about 2 dozen half-frees, only took a few for dinner. We haven't had much luck with Angusticeps, escualenta or diminutiva out here. Hoping to find some variety this season, but so happy to have found these!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Calling in from Tompkins County! 2nd year hunting and already doubled our findings from last year.

Found about 2 dozen half-frees, only took a few for dinner. We haven't had much luck with Angusticeps, escualenta or diminutiva out here. Hoping to find some variety this season, but so happy to have found these! View attachment 38772
That's great! I hope you get rewarded soon with the motherlode find.......then you'll be a confirmed addict.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well had to hold off for a couple hrs til the snow stared to melt then off I went. Fist trip was all pg grabbed 117. Went back out for couple more hrs on new pg n got a mother load tree around 80 or so all the way around it there were even out in the field. Another 138. I also found them all on south facing side. The morels near my house have doubled in size n are still growing. Found some big ones today could see um 40 ft away. Really enjoyed the walk today worked hard but payed off.
20210501_110939.jpg 20210501_100539.jpg 20210501_095911.jpg

·
Registered
732 Posts
Make sure you go back and check that tree again. I found my first morel under a failing elm with slipping bark. The first 2 times I looked at it there was nothing growing under it. The 3rd time, the ground around that tree was cover with those kinds of mushroom. Next trip out, I wasn't even going to look, but decided to because it was a short hike in and out. All the little shrooms had died off, and I found about 18 morels in there place. No guarantee, but it can happen.

Nice Milton. I find them all the time too not sure what they are. We could sure use some warmer temps to help um grow faster. It's always nice to fine new pg
Hunters generally refer to them as LBM's. Little Brown Mushrooms. And there are literally thousands of species of them, so it's hard to get a definite ID. I don't know that any of them are really poisonous, but if you find some in the Psilocybe genus, they might get you high. Most folks just ignore them.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well had to hold off for a couple hrs til the snow stared to melt then off I went. Fist trip was all pg grabbed 117. Went back out for couple more hrs on new pg n got a mother load tree around 80 or so all the way around it there were even out in the field. Another 138. I also found them all on south facing side. The morels near my house have doubled in size n are still growing. Found some big ones today could see um 40 ft away. Really enjoyed the walk today worked hard but payed off. View attachment 38830 View attachment 38831 View attachment 38833 View attachment 38834 View attachment 38835 View attachment 38836 View attachment 38832 View attachment 38829 View attachment 38828 View attachment 38837
Wow, What a day you had! Great pics!

141 - 160 of 188 Posts