Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice altrefrain! It looks like some of those are blacks if I'm not mistaken.
Bonus Alkiv4
Iroquois those look perfect size to me bout 4 inch my favorite size. Once they open up I say there ready.
Yup, I have a few black spots that I've been picking for the last week and a half or so, probably 100+ this season. Blondes are just starting to pop (at least my spots in the woods). My other PG blonde spots were still small when I checked on Wednesday. Probably need another few days.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yesterday I went to an area in the mid-HV I'd best describe as a long hill which produced a few lbs for me last year. NW side had very few this time, some real babies, I'm thinking its still to early (primetime last year was around 5/15). SE side had this nice clump next to a fallen apple:
Yesterday I went to an area in the mid-HV I'd best describe as a long hill which produced a few lbs for me last year. NW side had very few this time, some real babies, I'm thinking its still to early (primetime last year was around 5/15). SE side had this nice clump next to a fallen apple:
That's a nice clump!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yup, I have a few black spots that I've been picking for the last week and a half or so, probably 100+ this season. Blondes are just starting to pop (at least my spots in the woods). My other PG blonde spots were still small when I checked on Wednesday. Probably need another few days.
I concur, next weekend the harvest will be in earnest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey folks, looking for advice!

I'm back to posting after my first haul. I've harvested about 40 half free morels (need to get a scale) from last year's discovered PG and a new site I scouted this year.

What's troubling me is that I've only found 1 specimen of a different species. All I seem to get are halfies, and then yesterday just 1 yellow morel (found in the same exact place I found it last year but again, no other yellows to be found around it).

Yesterday's find all cut in half, yellow morel in the top right corner.

If anyone can weigh in: do you think I'm just finding areas that happen to be dominated by half-frees? Is it a regional thing (central new york, fingerlakes region)? Or is it seasonal; do the half frees come out first and I should keep hitting my spots/ scouting new ones in the coming weeks to find yellows and blacks?

I'm having so much luck finding halfies, it's bizarre to me that I've only found 1 other species...

161 - 180 of 188 Posts