Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post pics of morals found (2021 ONLY) stories, ect
* only give location by county only!
Don't give up your honey hole. Unless you want everyone else finding your shrooms.
happy hunting ladies & gentlemen!!!

Registered
Just wondering why you didnt cut the stem off?
Leave the root in the ground.
I pulled that one up whole to document with a receipt that it was a fresh find, and not a reconstituted dried from prior year. I typically cut or pinch off the stem. Not because I believe stems will grow new mushrooms, but to keep as much dirt out of my sacks as possible when I gather. I also only use mesh sacks, not because I believe I'm spreading spores, (although a minute amount may be spread), but mainly so excss dirt and debris can fall out during walks, and let the mushrooms breathe, especially later in season when very warm and the mushrooms are very moist. But I'm not interested in getting into a debate on any of those topics. Plenty of other threads already going on with that if anyone wants to comment either way. About as controversial as Permethrin or Deet for best tick prevention.

Registered
Just wondering why you didnt cut the stem off?
Leave the root in the ground.
Actually morels, and other mushrooms, do not have "roots". They spring from mycelium, the threadlike parent organism that lives in the ground. I cut my stems with a pocket knife for the same reason twisted does, to keep as much dirt out of the bag as possible. I also use a mesh bag because plastic shopping bags can sweat inside in warmer weather and ruin your shrooms. Paper can be even worse because paper is incredibly abrasive. I went to the WalMart laundry dept. and found a 2 pack of the mesh bags that ladies put their delicates in before putting in the washing machine. $1.99, hard to beat!

Registered
Actually morels, and other mushrooms, do not have "roots". They spring from mycelium, the threadlike parent organism that lives in the ground. I cut my stems with a pocket knife for the same reason twisted does, to keep as much dirt out of the bag as possible. I also use a mesh bag because plastic shopping bags can sweat inside in warmer weather and ruin your shrooms. Paper can be even worse because paper is incredibly abrasive. I went to the WalMart laundry dept. and found a 2 pack of the mesh bags that ladies put their delicates in before putting in the washing machine. $1.99, hard to beat!
Lol bought same bags 2 years ago work great!! Found a nice pack of 5 mesh bags at aldis this year for 4.99 really nice!

Registered
I pulled that one up whole to document with a receipt that it was a fresh find, and not a reconstituted dried from prior year. I typically cut or pinch off the stem. Not because I believe stems will grow new mushrooms, but to keep as much dirt out of my sacks as possible when I gather. I also only use mesh sacks, not because I believe I'm spreading spores, (although a minute amount may be spread), but mainly so excss dirt and debris can fall out during walks, and let the mushrooms breathe, especially later in season when very warm and the mushrooms are very moist. But I'm not interested in getting into a debate on any of those topics. Plenty of other threads already going on with that if anyone wants to comment either way. About as controversial as Permethrin or Deet for best tick prevention.
No problem it was just a question, I pretty much do the same as you explained and it all makes sense.. now premathin or deet they both help to do the job. Some thing better than nothing!
Damn them little ticks..
Good luck this spring!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts