Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
If I recall correctly, your 1st find last year was on 3/8 and mine was on 3/9.There was another early find by a poster on another site that was on 3/3 but I never saw photos of that find. I’m not liking these extremely cold temps forecasted for next week. Good luck this season.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah That may set us back a bit, I hope its as good this year as last for the blacks. I had a banner year on blacks and found hardly any yellows at all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah That may set us back a bit, I hope its as good this year as last for the blacks. I had a banner year on blacks and found hardly any yellows at all.
I had my best March ever for black morels in the 30 years I hunted them. This late winter weather pattern is really going to make this season’s arrival much later than last year. But the snow cover coming will provide great moisture. We’ll just need to get a warm spell to bump the soil temps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looking more and more like a delayed a season due to the cold February temps. I checked the soil temps a few weeks ago and again recently and wow what a change. There were some finds of blacks morels in Ky last year @ March 8th but that’s not going to happen this year. That graph shows the 2 in depth soil temps the past month.
8285661A-3648-4203-B955-91BB00A3CAA7.jpeg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looking more and more like a delayed a season due to the cold February temps. I checked the soil temps a few weeks ago and again recently and wow what a change. There were some finds of blacks morels in Ky last year @ March 8th but that’s not going to happen this year. That graph shows the 2 in depth soil temps the past month.
8285661A-3648-4203-B955-91BB00A3CAA7.jpeg
Come on sun!!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had my best March ever for black morels in the 30 years I hunted them. This late winter weather pattern is really going to make this season’s arrival much later than last year. But the snow cover coming will provide great moisture. We’ll just need to get a warm spell to bump the soil temps.
May I ask a question? What is the environment like where you find blacks? I'm up here in NE Ohio, and have never found a black morel. I've managed to develop quite a few spots for yellows in the 12 or so years I've hunted for them, but the blacks elude me. I attended a seminar by John Maybrier who is from Michigan. When I asked him he said that he prefers a "popple" woods for blacks.

Well, we don't have many of those around here. It's mostly oak, maple, beech forest. Sometimes, alongside the road, you can spot an isolated copse of popple trees, which are actually big tooth or dog tooth aspen. We've driven up through Michigan many times on the way to a Canadian fishing camp, and once you get so far up in there Michigan starts looking a whole lot like Canada!

I figure Kentucky and Ohio more strongly resemble each other, so I figured I'd ask the question.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In Kentucky I focus primarily on woods that have a lot of tulip or yellow poplars. I find most of mine on east and north facing hillsides or near the crest of those ridges again facing east and north. I do find some near or around beech and pignut hickories but there are almost always poplar nearby also. If the woods are predominantly oak I don’t even bother to look. Most of my better black morels spots are in extremely hilly terrain.

·
Registered
746 Posts
In Kentucky I focus primarily on woods that have a lot of tulip or yellow poplars. I find most of mine on east and north facing hillsides or near the crest of those ridges again facing east and north. I do find some near or around beech and pignut hickories but there are almost always poplar nearby also. If the woods are predominantly oak I don’t even bother to look. Most of my better black morels spots are in extremely hilly terrain.
Thanks for the reply. There don't seem to be many tulip trees in my area either. The biggest bunch of them growing together is 4 trees! If I see them, I can tell what they are. Another member told me on the Ohio boards about a place that has lots of them near a state forest and state park. Hillier country there than around here, but it's about a 2 hour drive one way. I know where the biggest beech woods is in this area, but it's as flat as a table top! I've thought about looking their for the King Bolete. That one is definitely on my want to find list!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the reply. There don't seem to be many tulip trees in my area either. The biggest bunch of them growing together is 4 trees! If I see them, I can tell what they are. Another member told me on the Ohio boards about a place that has lots of them near a state forest and state park. Hillier country there than around here, but it's about a 2 hour drive one way. I know where the biggest beech woods is in this area, but it's as flat as a table top! I've thought about looking their for the King Bolete. That one is definitely on my want to find list!
A little later mid April low lying areas creeks river bottoms with Sycamore trees is also good morel territory or north facing hill sides with ash trees and black gum are also good areas good luck and happy hunting

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll be headed to Ft. Knox (Hardin County) 19-23 April. Anyone knows if the season will be in full swing by then?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'll be headed to Ft. Knox (Hardin County) 19-23 April. Anyone knows if the season will be in full swing by then?
During a typical season that is usually close to the peak period in that area. You may find some mature blacks, the smaller yellows/greys will be peaking and the big yellows just starting. As you know, the weather will have everything to say about the timing. I plan on turkey hunting Ft Knox in April, so I’ll post any morel finds from Knox on here. In the past we have found blacks, greys and yellows at Ft Knox.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m liking the warm rain forecast for late Wednesday/early Thursday. Central and Southern KY should have some blacks popping this coming weekend.
Ground temps have warmed to mid fifties should be prime this week for the early blacks got to get in the woods for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks, Rick. I've got a spot I found when I was stationed there that bears black and yellows. Hope I catch them at them at the right time.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts