Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
For those of you that might be feeling a little anxious due to almost no reported finds in Ky so far this year. These are my earliest find dates for the past 9 seasons.
2012 3/24
2013 4/6
2014 4/5
2015 4/3
2016 3/16
2017 3/3
2018 3/30
2019 3/25
2020 3/9

And the years that I found some on 3/16 or earlier, I found very few until late March and early April. It won’t be long until we’re picking and grinning!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Picked 15 1 inch to 2 1/2 inch blacks today in Hart county. Would have preferred to leave them to grow until Friday but I was worried about the forecasted subfreezing temps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thank you, Rick. I'll be hitting you up in another 9/10 days. I'm wanting to see those canopy trees barely start to blossom so I can make the most of my time down there. Found yellows last year on the 9th, but might give it another couple days (if I can keep my itch in check).
I was surprised how much the woods progressed in Central KY from Saturday am to Sunday am. Redbuds went from no color to showing color and the poplar leaves were starting to show on the ends of branches. Pretty abrupt 24 hour change. I picked 15 blacks that had roughly doubled in size from Saturday to Sunday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was surprised how much the woods progressed in Central KY from Saturday am to Sunday am. Redbuds went from no color to showing color and the poplar leaves were starting to show on the ends of branches. Pretty abrupt 24 hour change. I picked 15 blacks that had roughly doubled in size from Saturday to Sunday.
Not me but a buddy found those in butler county.
Not me but a buddy found those in butler county.
Rick,
Are you finding blacks on ridge tops in predominantly hickories?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rick,
Are you finding blacks on ridge tops in predominantly hickories?
That is exactly where I’m finding them in Hart county on East and North Facing ridges and hillsides but not right on top of the ridges. Most have been just off the crest of the ridge near pignut hickories.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Man these forecasted lows for the coming Thursday and Friday mornings really suck. 29 Thursday and 24 Friday. I can’t imagine those little ones that are up already not suffering damage from those extreme temps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is exactly where I’m finding them in Hart county on East and North Facing ridges and hillsides but not right on top of the ridges. Most have been just off the crest of the ridge near pignut hickories.
Thanks for the help- We were up on ridges in McCreary County yesterday and struck out. Looking to expand our range to some new hunting areas, and we’ve never been able to find early blacks- only found a few last year amongst the spot we find yellows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We walked a little over six miles in Grayson Co Sunday on our farm with no luck at all. Checked ridges around hickory, cedar and poplar with no luck. Started working each shelf down all the way to the creek. Lots of May Apples starting to pop, Buckeyes starting or a few days in leaf but no morels. Worried about these temps as well. Might try another farm this evening weather permitting. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I knew that the pouring rains last night would bring forth some, and I was right! I didn't find that many, but these are the first flush of the season, so hopefully there will be more. With the sub zero temps expected for tonight and tomorrow, how will this affect any more from fruiting? Also, it looks like no more rain anytime soon, when should I check back with these temps? I also found a meals worth of oysters too!

21 - 40 of 116 Posts