Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey Rick, my daughter and I are planning on making a trip to Mammoth Cave in the next couple weeks. When do you think the peak for that area will be.
Several of the blacks I picked today had just popped and others were a week old but still very fresh. In about 2 weeks the blacks will be much easier to see than they were yesterday. I would also expect the smaller greys and yellows to start popping after the upcoming week of 70’s. Peak will probably be @ 4/10-4/20. Of course that all depends upon a timely rain or two. I’ll keep you posted. The blacks I found in Hart yesterday were about 1 mile outside of Mammoth Cave Park.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh yeah, these were found in Graves county too by the way.
Been looking here in Boaz, no luck yet. Brandon, you hunting private property? I look here at the farm but would like to figure out a couple places to check around here. Ever look at Kaler Bottoms or Clarks River?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Been looking here in Boaz, no luck yet. Brandon, you hunting private property? I look here at the farm but would like to figure out a couple places to check around here. Ever look at Kaler Bottoms or Clarks River?
I actually just go to wooded areas around my house. I have several spots that produce every year. I went to Paducah to hunt he other day but I didn't find anything. I haven't tried Kaler bottoms or Clark's river yet, but they are on my list!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I actually just go to wooded areas around my house. I have several spots that produce every year. I went to Paducah to hunt he other day but I didn't find anything. I haven't tried Kaler bottoms or Clark's river yet, but they are on my list!
10-4. I do the same, just check around home mostly. I want to check out more places, including LBL. I didn't find anything yesterday along the Greenway. I'll continue to look and keep you posted!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If anyone is interested in hunting together I’d happily travel about an hour out of Lexington.
I’ve been at it about 10 years, totally self taught.
I hunt around central KY cuz that’s where I live but I don’t have any GOOD spots. If you like we can check in the woods I usually hunt, but they are public and one of them is riddled with ticks and brambles... it is not a fun walk but I usually pull a few out of there a year.
I’ve got pretty good eyes and I’ve done my homework, elms, hickory, ash, poplar, sycamore, cedar, but I know that every where is different, I’ve only even found poplar morels except once under a cedar grove and once under a sycamore, not one under and elm! It’s crazy!
But I’m not a total charity case is the point!

I like the hunt way more than eating them,me an my daughter do love to eat them... but it’s the hunt!
It would be phenomenal to find a real flush of em like some folks get... but really I’m not greedy, if you’ll meet me at some woods that produce then I’ll be more happy to split my haul with you.

I just want some fertile ground to walk that actually has a chance of producing... walking 11 hours to bring home 3 sad grey morels per tripjust isn’t as much fun and loading up 30 off a single tree!
Thanks for reading, if you feel like helping then thank you very much

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this guy today in Ohio county found 2 more after this they was all three eat up by the frost a few days ago my dad found 4 at his place about thumb length and they was all fine I’d say if it continues to stay warm after we get some rain they should be everywhere

41 - 60 of 116 Posts