Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
10-4. I do the same, just check around home mostly. I want to check out more places, including LBL. I didn't find anything yesterday along the Greenway. I'll continue to look and keep you posted!
I have yet to find anything in Paducah but some Phesant backs, and boy, were thye good! Maybe tonight's rain will bring forth some good morels, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Picked 28 blacks is today in Hart. Most were starting to get dry but will revive with a bowl of water. Here comes the rain. Hope it reaches everybody patches.
View attachment 37389 View attachment 37390
Still planning a trip to Mammouth Cave. Rain predicted for this weekend and then cooler temperatures at the end of next week.
Looking at coming April 14-16 or April 19-21. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Still planning a trip to Mammouth Cave. Rain predicted for this weekend and then cooler temperatures at the end of next week.
Looking at coming April 14-16 or April 19-21. What are your thoughts?
I will be picking my farm again 4/9-4/11 and I will report my finds. The rains missed that area tonight before dark so I’m hoping over night rains happen. If so then the yellows and greys will be popping big time by Friday. I’m hoping for a final flush of blacks also but the ground temps may have already gotten to high. It was in the low 80’s down there today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone is interested in hunting together I’d happily travel about an hour out of Lexington.
I’ve been at it about 10 years, totally self taught.
I hunt around central KY cuz that’s where I live but I don’t have any GOOD spots. If you like we can check in the woods I usually hunt, but they are public and one of them is riddled with ticks and brambles... it is not a fun walk but I usually pull a few out of there a year.
I’ve got pretty good eyes and I’ve done my homework, elms, hickory, ash, poplar, sycamore, cedar, but I know that every where is different, I’ve only even found poplar morels except once under a cedar grove and once under a sycamore, not one under and elm! It’s crazy!
But I’m not a total charity case is the point!

I like the hunt way more than eating them,me an my daughter do love to eat them... but it’s the hunt!
It would be phenomenal to find a real flush of em like some folks get... but really I’m not greedy, if you’ll meet me at some woods that produce then I’ll be more happy to split my haul with you.

I just want some fertile ground to walk that actually has a chance of producing... walking 11 hours to bring home 3 sad grey morels per tripjust isn’t as much fun and loading up 30 off a single tree!
Thanks for reading, if you feel like helping then thank you very much
I'd be happy to take you out to a public spot I have hunted for 15 plus years and have pretty good luck there always. Message me when you see this , Clint is my name my fiance is who created this account I think so it may have Katherine listed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will be picking my farm again 4/9-4/11 and I will report my finds. The rains missed that area tonight before dark so I’m hoping over night rains happen. If so then the yellows and greys will be popping big time by Friday. I’m hoping for a final flush of blacks also but the ground temps may have already gotten to high. It was in the low 80’s down there today.
LBL or Mammoth Cave this weekend? An inch+ hit LBL in last 48 hours, is that area known to produce?

·
Registered
374 Posts
LBL or Mammoth Cave this weekend? An inch+ hit LBL in last 48 hours, is that area known to produce?
I’ve never hunted morels at LBL. I will hunt my farm tomorrow that is just outside of Mammoth Cave National Park. Hoping the greys and yellows come up from the recent rain. I’ll post tomorrow after or during my hunt.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hunted some patches in Jefferson today that have always produced a lot of greys and yellows. Didn’t find any but did pick 2 blacks that had just popped.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just spent 3 hours searching in the black patches I have picked the past 2 weeks on my Hart county farm and it appears to be all but over for the blacks. Found 3 that were mature and starting to dry some. Also checked 2 areas that typically produce a lot of greys and yellows and didn’t find the 1st one!

61 - 80 of 128 Posts