Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd be happy to take you out to a public spot I have hunted for 15 plus years and have pretty good luck there always. Message me when you see this
thanks man, I sent you a message a few days ago. Busy busy...
It’s pouring rain right now... gettin me excited!
I’d love to try some new spots with you, or anyone willing, but after this rain I’ll be out in the woods some where... and soon!

thanks a bunch for the offer, not many folks would bother.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I know this is very Taboo, but does anyone have any public land they can show me or areas I can search for morels that they know they grow. I have been searching for the past 4 years here in KY and have had no luck. I live in Barren Co. I have went to Mammoth Cave last 2 years and found just one small one and haven't had any luck there. I know people find alot there I just can't seem to get on a patch. I just don't want to get skunked 5 years straight. I have also search around Barren River Lake area and no luck :( I look for tulip trees, runoffs, south facing hillsides all the indicators and still can't find any. Anyone with some help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Decided to recheck the black patches I’ve been picking on my farm along with checking the yellow and grey patches. Picked 12 blacks and ONE grey. I have probably picked a couple thousand yellows and greys in these patches over the past 20 years so I guess we can call ONE a start!

·
Registered
374 Posts
My wife and I hit a spot in Jefferson today that usually produces a good mix of little greys and yellows, big yellows, half frees and an occasional black. Turned out to be the biggest #’s day I have ever had and we were only able to pick for a couple of hours. We walked out of the woods with 387 half frees, 10 little greys and 1 black. We were pickin and grinnin! We felt like a blessing had been returned to us. Last week a friend’s son texted me asking where he could pick some for his grandma’s 90th birthday. Well I wasn’t going to show him spots but I did give them all I had in the fridge, probably 40-50 fresh blacks. Then today happened. Thank you Lord!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wife and I hit a few of our black patches in Jefferson and was pleasantly surprised to find 42 of which more than 3/4 being really fresh. I may hit them one more time in a week but really don’t expect to find any newly popped. Spent the evening freezing and drying a bunch of what we have found the past 2 days. Froze 2 full cookie sheets of blacks and 1 of half frees.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wife and I hit a few of our black patches in Jefferson and was pleasantly surprised to find 42 of which more than 3/4 being really fresh. I may hit them one more time in a week but really don’t expect to find any newly popped. Spent the evening freezing and drying a bunch of what we have found the past 2 days. Froze 2 full cookie sheets of blacks and 1 of half frees.
View attachment 37646 View attachment 37647 View attachment 37648
Rick- do you guys just wash or soak and straight to flour or do you dip in egg and then flour before freezing? Never found more than I could share/eat in a week or so and wondering how you prefer to freeze/store them. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rick- do you guys just wash or soak and straight to flour or do you dip in egg and then flour before freezing? Never found more than I could share/eat in a week or so and wondering how you prefer to freeze/store them. Thanks
My wife dips them in egg then cornmeal or flower (we like cornmeal) and pan fries them.

She freezes them by spreading them out on a cookie sheet until frozen then vacuum pack. When we want some to eat we take them out and while frozen dip in egg and cormeal and fry before they thaw. DO NOT THAW THEM FIRST!! Fry until crisp and they are good as fresh

81 - 100 of 128 Posts