Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Rick- do you guys just wash or soak and straight to flour or do you dip in egg and then flour before freezing? Never found more than I could share/eat in a week or so and wondering how you prefer to freeze/store them. Thanks
When preparing them to freeze we dip them in an egg/milk wash and dip in flour and/or Weisenberger Farms dry fish batter mix and lay them out on a cookie sheet. Immediately put the cookie sheet in the freezer. Freeze them solid then use a spatula to remove them from the cookie sheet. I place mine In a zip lock freezer bag but I believe it would be better to vacuum pack them. Place the bag of frozen morels in the freezer as quickly as possible to avoid them flawing. They will stick together if you take to long to get them back in the freezer. You can then remove however many you want from the freezer bag when you’re ready to fry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don’t know what my deal is... I did another FULL day, scaled 400’ down the palisades then a 4+ mile trek along the River flood plane to the trail back up and then another 4 hours on the plateau.
Found nothing!
All the signs looked good, may apples are up, the wildflowers are going nuts!
Found thousands of white ramps, good clusters of oysters, pheasants back was everywhere! Even found some enoki, but I didn’t harvest any of it...

3 days ago I was in estill county, right off the red River... 8 solid hours of walking and checking trees yielded one tiny gray...

Disheartening...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Picked a few while turkey hunting today in Hart. 7 blacks, 1 large yellow and 3 small yellows. 5 of the blacks were still fresh.
View attachment 37831
Glad you are still finding, haven't had too many opportunities to get in the woods here up north near Indy, so hoping the 1-3 inches of snow comes and goes and I can find a few. Or, better yet it is a cold rain.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey rick, we are headed to Mammoth Cave tomorrow for a couple of days. Any last minute advice.
You might find some mature blacks. I picked a few 2-3 days ago that were still edible. Small greys and yellows are up. Hunt the east and North facing hillsides of poplar and pignut hickory. We got a really good rain last night so yellows and greys should pop. I’m turkey hunting my farm in the Mammoth Cave area today and will check my yellow/grey patches between working birds and report back later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You might find some mature blacks. I picked a few 2-3 days ago that were still edible. Small greys and yellows are up. Hunt the east and North facing hillsides of poplar and pignut hickory. We got a really good rain last night so yellows and greys should pop. I’m turkey hunting my farm in the Mammoth Cave area today and will check my yellow/grey patches between working birds and report back later.
Thanks rick, we're driving up from N. Alabama this morning and are staying at the campground until Wednesday.
I'll report back, good or bad.
Thanks for taking time to respond and good luck with the turkey hunting.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Past 2 days have been a bust for me in Hart county. Nothing the past 2 days after only picking 11 2 days ago. Ordinarily this would tell me that we are near the end of the season but I’m holding out hope that last nights rain will create 1 more flush.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Past 2 days have been a bust for me in Hart county. Nothing the past 2 days after only picking 11 2 days ago. Ordinarily this would tell me that we are near the end of the season but I’m holding out hope that last nights rain will create 1 more flush.
We made it to Mammoth Cave this afternoon and got camp set. Decided to go look for a couple hours before dark.
Only found two, but I was very happy to find my first Kentucky morels.
Thanks rick, they were right where you said they would be. We will try again tomorrow.
10408.jpeg

·
Registered
374 Posts
We made it to Mammoth Cave this afternoon and got camp set. Decided to go look for a couple hours before dark.
Only found two, but I was very happy to find my first Kentucky morels.
Thanks rick, they were right where you said they would be. We will try again tomorrow. View attachment 37994
Cool! You did better than I did today and I
was looking in patches I have picked for
20 years. If you happen to be near any creek bottoms, check around sycamores and elms for the bigger yellows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cool! You did better than I did today and I
was looking in patches I have picked for
20 years. If you happen to be near any creek bottoms, check around sycamores and elms for the bigger yellows.
Yeah, we plan on walking some creeks tomorrow as well as hillsides.
Found those two right at the base of a poplar tree on north facing slope.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
One last check on the half free patch yielded another 11 bringing the total for that small patch to 607. Crazy! This patch was probably only 440 sq ft. Never seen anything like it. Also found 16 small yellow and 1 small grey. About half of all I picked today were getting brittle stems. This was in Jefferson. Added 1 more this afternoon found behind my house next to a poplar.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts