Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I so want to find some!!! I went out last year as my first year… nada.. I stink at this
Please do not make that assumption! You are not done learning yet! It took me a while, but the change is discernable. You simply get more "into" the outdoor world. And I noticed that I kept my eyes open a bit more, and noticed more things! Like honey and shaggy mane mushrooms growing in people's front yards while driving by! You somehow just become more aware! Keep at it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just keep listening to the experienced members they will give you a ton of info. I've been doing this the past 3 years this will be my 4th. 1st year I remember my 1st find was shaking at the knees cause I was sooo excited I found one that day I found maybe 7 total that year was a great year here in Wisconsin I found maybe 3 to 5 pounds, the next year I kinda knew better watched a ton of info on you tube and read up on stuff that year was supposedly a bad year here I found 15 pounds was super stoked then last year now that was bad no rain at all gir super warm really early with no rain and they started to pop up mid April I believe it was then got super cold and froze everything, still no rain think it rained 1 time entire morel season by me still found 6 pounds but it could've been much better if mother Nature would've helped. Now this winter we were probably 20 to 30 inches below average for snow which is a ton might of broke records for the least amount of snow in a winter season but it has been raining the past day got a half to 1 inch of rain and they are calling for the sane amount if not more in middle of next week. I'm praying it's going to keep a little wet and that it doesn't warm up like last year. Temps look to be in upper 40s low 50s during the day and low 30s to mid 30s at night which can stay like that for a couple more weeks so everything can set up right. You never know what mother nature will bring to you but she is the mother of morels she is the one that will let it be a good or bad year so all you can do is hope. By the way I live in souther Wisconsin and know Northern Illinois had the same horrible year last year. So keep at it you will find one soon just get to know your trees that is the biggest thing besides when to know to go out which they tell you over and over on these threads just read and you will kinda know what to do but experience is everything!!! Good luck

·
Registered
417 Posts
Over here in Kansas City and I agree the first Dandy lions are going to be when it starts. I also think the other old-timey indicators will actually work this year.
I saw my 1st of the year dandelion bloom on 3/21 in Louisville,KY. Picked 3 blacks on 3/21 and 3 more on 3/22. I like the dandelion bloom and the cut leaf toothwort bloom as the best indicator for the blacks.
Plant Mushroom Font Terrestrial plant Fashion accessory

Plant Wood Tree Twig Terrestrial plant

·
Administrator
2,482 Posts
Over here in Kansas City and I agree the first Dandy lions are going to be when it starts. I also think the other old-timey indicators will actually work this year.
Yes..as You say @rOck3m333 the old time indicatetors..
That is the basis of my Question I proposed on Our Indiana Thread.. come over and partake of this Fun Questions..
Also Rock... are you KC Kansas?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How bout it Down in the Most-Southern / Southern-Most ....
of The Beautiful State of Illinois ...
Does Anyone down in there , got yer ears on ??
Yall always have um pop pop poppin before Anywhere in Indiana does.....
Are Yall Finding Any Yet !!
I have seen some post from down there with some sightings posted on fb
so it should blow up down there real soon still in the thirties at night here but the days have been mostly fifties some weeks to go still I have a prediction I will find my first the week of the twentieth but we will see what the good mother has in store for us will post some helpers when I go 👍

1 - 20 of 92 Posts