Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Went for a stroll at Morgan Monroe today to check the status of the woods. Very little greenery. But the devils urns are in the infant stage and also the false morel.(elephant ear to me). Nice day to be out. Blacks and grays very soon..If you are fortunate enough to have a black patch keep your eyes peeled. Good luck! This was Morgan county side could be some up on the southern Monroe side.

Attachments

· Registered
284 Posts
When I see these wild plum boom, There is usually blacks up in the area somewhere. Saw a post on Morel progression Facebook, Blacks found in Jennings county. Dated receipt beside them. These blooming trees were between Waverly and Brooklyn in northern Morgan county today. Will be in my black spot checking in the morning. Found my first last year on Mar. 29th. as posted on the 2021 blog. Good luck out there.
Plant Automotive side-view mirror Window Sky Mirror
Plant Sky Cloud Ecoregion Leaf

· Registered
284 Posts
Well Jeremiah has the fever now that I found that 1st shroom so we are both taking off work friday and heading to Kentucky to hunt.
My observations for owen co. Were the may apple's are about an inch unopened, spotted a few scarlet cups but I'd say a week or two before anything good, I had to walk 3 miles to get to my 6 or 7 shag barks they usually have a handful or so blacks but this year just the 1. View attachment 41481
I always drag my feet going to Owen Co. Guess that's why I rarely find any blacks there. Thanks for the heads up. Good luck in Ky.
d

· Registered
284 Posts
I' m not to worried about the cool weather. I have broken them off frozen in Michigan a few times. I am more concerned with the lack of rain in the 10 day forecast and the high winds that wick the surface moisture away pretty quickly. Totally my opinion, not an expert. I really love intermittent rain and sunshine. I remember a spring in the the 1990's where it stayed cool and it seemed like we found them for 6 weeks or more. We didn't quit until the foliage was so thick and there was a snake at every step.Lol.

· Registered
284 Posts
Mowed today. Couldn't stand it. Jumped in the truck and headed back to M/M. Found 6. One I probably missed ,left it to spore out. Was out bout 2 hrs this eve. The one little guy likes his little Ash host. Guess he doesn't have much choice with the mature ones about gone. Keep after em.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 108 Posts