Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Some of my relatives in PA, would drive out to a place where there was a big rock overhang near the road. There was a big pull off there, which was a good thing, because you had to stand in line to get water! someone drove a pipe into a crack in the rock, and the water would pour out of the pipe. Incredible tasting water! The next best I think I've ever had was well water from my buddy old homestead. It was sited over a big limestone dome. The well driller hit water at 100 feet, but his folkd told him to keep drilling. Ended up at 220 feet and pulled water right off the top of that dome. Sweetest well water I ever tasted!

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That Spring Water is good as Gold... I hope someday that I can buy a property with a spring . I looked at a 35 acre property with a huge Original cabin from the 1700's which was used as a Civil War hospital and Trading Post..
The spring at the bottom of the hill just 150'feet below the Cabin.. I estimated was flowing at Easily more than 20-gallons per minute
Very interestingly located Exactly 💯 100- miles from Indianapolis and Louisville and Cincinnati and Evansville

·
Registered
918 Posts
When scouting a new area of a state park where I deer hunted, I found the site of an old homestead and what was left of the spring house. It had fallen apart, and didn't seem to be flowing very well. At my fish & game club, our main fishing lake is an old limestone quarry. Near where the canoes and kayaks are kept several springs enter the lake right at the shoreline. You can see the "bubble" on the water. Stick your hand in there and they are ice cold! That's why the trout we stock in the Spring can Summer over. You never see dead trout floating in our lake!

·
Registered
918 Posts
But, that doesn't mean that you can catch those trout! When the weather warms up, they abandon their Spring spots, and I figure that they go hang around those cold springs! In fact, when I discovered the springs that entered our lake near that boat storage area, I looked out in the water to see about a half dozen trout hanging out just offshore. They were probably enjoying that colder flow of water. I was told this by an old timer when fly fishing in PA. He told me that when the weather got hot, I should abandon even my lightweight, breathable waders! Just put on the wading shoes and wade wet! He told me that if I hit a patch of water that was a lot colder than the surround water, that I was downstream of a spring that came up in the creekbed! He said trout would hang out there and I should mark these locations carefully. I wouldn't get much dry fly action there, but drifting nymphs through there would probably get me some trout!

You can learn a lot listening to the old timers!

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think I have only fished one time since 1984
I did fish growing up...
I gave up my Hunting Trapping and Fishing, to focus more time on working to make money.
Thinking I would be able to Retire Young and buy Hundreds of Acres to share with friends and finish out my life, out there Hunting again.
Now .. I still wish /plan for a way to buy Hundreds of Acres.. but I think I just want to Hunt Fungi now.🤠❤🇺🇸🦅🏕🌎🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We are getting a couple of days with temps in the 40's... so I will be getting some work done outside

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Still No Snow only a couple flurries across INDIANA... we will have to wait and see..
But while I wait.. I wonder... Will we get any Big Burry us Deep Blizzards over the Next 70 days

·
Registered
918 Posts
I hope not. The one we got Sunday night was enough to last me till Summer! Thank God the next door neighbor lady found us a guy to plow our driveways out. If she hadn't I'd still be shoveling! Took me long enough to just dig the truck out!

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I hope not. The one we got Sunday night was enough to last me till Summer! Thank God the next door neighbor lady found us a guy to plow our driveways out. If she hadn't I'd still be shoveling! Took me long enough to just dig the truck out!
What.. I didn't know there was any accumulated in Indiana...
But Man .. I still like a Great Big Beautiful Blizard
Long as No one gets Hurt or Dead... Being in the Survivel Fram of Mind for a few days feels good to me...and I like Sled Riding
Cartoon Art Painting Drawing Rectangle
Photograph Vehicle Snow Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
506 Posts
@wade well it's the 24th of January n we are finally getting are first snow least in this area of Indiana. Definitely can tell it's the first one to, people are just driving dumb to put it politely lol.
As far as sledding you definitely have some good hills for it, so walk on to the top of that hill where the park is n go down that one, believe it be a good one.

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@wade well it's the 24th of January n we are finally getting are first snow least in this area of Indiana. Definitely can tell it's the first one to, people are just driving dumb to put it politely lol.
As far as sledding you definitely have some good hills for it, so walk on to the top of that hill where the park is n go down that one, believe it be a good one.
I know it ..all the Young people sled there every year.. but Robin and I have never sled there..
I do want to do it someday..maybe this year

·
Registered
506 Posts
I know it ..all the Young people sled there every year.. but Robin and I have never sled there..
I do want to do it someday..maybe this year
If you was able to go down the road from top to bottom, believe that would be one hell of a ride, you'd be like chevy chase in Christmas vacation lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts