Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1061 - 1080 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Boy you can tell things are slowing down in Cental and southern Indiana. The thread is very quiet won’t be long and we’ll be hunting summer shrooms. Hope everyone has had a good time this year. Happy Shroomin everyone
@Kokomorel check your private conversations. I replied to you with a report.

·
Registered
137 Posts
False morel Plant Mushroom Terrestrial plant Gyromitra

False morel Plant Terrestrial plant Mushroom Natural material

False morel Plant Mushroom Organism Terrestrial plant

Plant Mushroom Terrestrial plant Wood Vegetation

False morel Plant Plant community Mushroom Natural environment

False morel Plant Mushroom Twig Terrestrial plant

False morel Plant Mushroom Terrestrial plant Fawn

False morel Plant Terrestrial plant Natural material Gyromitra

False morel Plant Mushroom Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

Trying to hit all my spots before the heat kills them… That’s the problem with having twenty plus spots in four counties across two states, not enough time in the day… Haven’t seen much new growth up here lately, I’m thinking this is the beginning of the end… We will see… Brought home six more pounds today… Happy Hunting & Stay Hydrated!!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. He's probably out hunting. Here in NE Ohio found about another pound and a half today. Hunted my "low" spot, and it was way different than last Thursday when I hunted my high spot. Definitely a one here, one there kind of day. And apple trees only produced one morel for me. Sycamore and black cherry were the stars today. It will be in the low 80's for the next three days, but the over night lows will be reasonable. I'll hunt again tomorrow, then rest on Thursday because my knees are killing me. Probably have to cut the grass again on Friday. Then we're in for a rainy weekend and cooler weather again. I think the season, at least here, could keep going.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. He's probably out hunting. Here in NE Ohio found about another pound and a half today. Hunted my "low" spot, and it was way different than last Thursday when I hunted my high spot. Definitely a one here, one there kind of day. And apple trees only produced one morel for me. Sycamore and black cherry were the stars today. It will be in the low 80's for the next three days, but the over night lows will be reasonable. I'll hunt again tomorrow, then rest on Thursday because my knees are killing me. Probably have to cut the grass again on Friday. Then we're in for a rainy weekend and cooler weather again. I think the season, at least here, could keep going.
I thought he actually said he was going to Michigan. If so, good for him cuz a flush is coming in multiple parts of the state

·
Registered
345 Posts
Was 3 for 4 in forests (6 hours of walking), and ended with 174. Not sure of the weight, but I would set my bag down while looking. It got pretty heavy, and I couldn't possibly have left them in the car and expected them to hold moisture. I'd say over 15lbs., but less than 20, and that's with 25% tulip morels.

One of my favorite spots FINALLY gave me something today...it pooped out some blacks and tulips for me. Poplars seem to be the ones pushing them out everywhere I went.
Plant Organism Vegetation Reptile Terrestrial plant
Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Fungus Twig
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Twig Terrestrial animal
Plant Organism Twig Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal

Organism Beak Terrestrial animal Twig Bird

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Mushroom
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass
Wood Organism Twig Plant Terrestrial plant

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Was 3 for 4 in forests (6 hours of walking), and ended with 174. Not sure of the weight, but I would set my bag down while looking. It got pretty heavy, and I couldn't possibly have left them in the car and expected them to hold moisture. I'd say over 15lbs., but less than 20, and that's with 25% tulip morels.

One of my favorite spots FINALLY gave me something today...it pooped out some blacks and tulips for me. Poplars seem to be the ones pushing them out everywhere I went.
View attachment 43194 View attachment 43196 View attachment 43198 View attachment 43202
View attachment 43200
View attachment 43193 View attachment 43201 View attachment 43197
Looks like you got some younger growth… Your spots might survive the heat wave… I’m checking my berrien spots tomorrow…

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks like you got some younger growth… Your spots might survive the heat wave… I’m checking my berrien spots tomorrow…
You saw that I was there yesterday checking on things...from New Buffalo to Chikaming. There were a couple spots that needed all of this heat, but a lot of forests were really close. These high overnight temps are what's really gonna drive them out of the ground, and it might be tonight

Once again, also look to the trees..If you're seeing the canopy as majority green, with leaves at half their full size or more, that forest should already have yellows, or is about to let 'em go. You really want the mature elms to have turned the corner for maximum potential. That indicator can really help close to the lake.

I'll have a few good spots make it, and the temps are going to return to normal next week, which will extend the flush. A couple holes are definitely winding down, but they are smaller forests.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Cool encounter but nothing to worry about. The Blue Racer is harmless to humans (non-venomous/poisonous). Still wouldn't be fun to get bit!
Exactly...especially in shorts. lol

That pic of her slithering is her going back to the nest that I came close to stepping on. If she hadn't rattled the leaves, I might've stepped on them both. I was scouting a new forest that wasn't ready, so I didn't look down until she did that.

That's a good mama right there, cuz she had no other way to let me know...I have size 14 shoes and was walking at a normal pace. Once I moved away from the nest, we were cool with each other, and it was a nice little moment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Boy you can tell things are slowing down in Central and southern Indiana. The thread is very quiet won’t be long and we’ll be hunting summer shrooms. Hope everyone has had a good time this year. Happy Shroomin everyone
worst season for me in a while, going to give it one more shot, food for thought in years past it seamed like if we had a lot of snow (which we usually did) it was a good year, we haven't had more than one good snow a year if any in central IN. lately ,and I have never had so much trouble finding than the last few years and I am putting in way more effort.

·
Registered
345 Posts
With this heat, I slept a little extra and stayed local...went to check a couple spots closer to home. Found another 8 black in the same forest I found yesterday (about 20 min looking), and I just had another forest provide me with my first find of the year. 23 there in an hour, mostly large black. I thought I'd have to write off my early spots, but I was wrong.
Plant Reptile Organism Terrestrial plant Lizard
People in nature Wood Thigh Fungus Waste
Plant Mushroom Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Agaricaceae
Terrestrial plant Frog Toad Terrestrial animal Plant
Plant Tree Wood Natural landscape Terrestrial plant
Plant Tree Wood Twig Trunk
Food Ingredient Recipe Baked goods Cake
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Twig Natural landscape
Plant community Plant Wood Branch Tree

·
Registered
266 Posts