Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1081 - 1100 of 1276 Posts

·
Administrator
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,086 ·
I hadn't been feeling good all year long, I thought maybe i had gotto Limes disease..
So In November of 2018.... I went to a Doctor,
Whom diagnosed me with, Mantel Cell Lymphoma or " MCL" I was told I had about 2'yrs of Quality Life left before my health would begin failing..
The Doctor could tell that what he had just told me didn't seem to have phased me.. so he began Expressing Very directly at me.. its Cancer Stage stage four, non-Hodgkins Lukemia, it's in your blood and Lymphoma thur out every organ in your Body and in your bones....
So..I say ok what should I do now..
Doctor says; go home be happy, maybe take a vacation, some place you've always wanted to go..spend time with your family and Loved ones..
So I ask; ? I mean should I do some kemo treatment or...
But before I could even ask he was already shaking his head and Stoped me Saying No...
No.... Saying No....
the Doctor continues his efforts to help me comprehend and directly Says There is No Cure. . No Cure has been found for your Lymphoma and Kemo doesn't touch it..
There is No Currant Cure or treatment for MCL...
Your Dying
There is Nothing We can do for You
Go Home Live happy and make the most of the time you have left now,
Follow up here in Six Months.
I've made it along for 3 1/2 Years now
But and I knew I wasn't feeling right, Then on this past Thursday May 5th 2022... after Hunting 4 & 1/2 Beautiful days with Robinbluebird.. it was hard for me to make it out of the woods to the car..
I felt worse thur the night.. by Friday morning We drove me to the ER ....
They Kept me...
As I agreed to stay for Emergency Surgery Saturday at 10am
to remove my Enlarged 17-pound Spleen..
This Major Surgery is where I have been..
I'm in Bad Shape Right Now, but I am Above Ground and Happy 🤠✌

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hadn't been feeling good all year long, So In November of 2018.... I went to a Doctor,
Whom diagnosed me with, Mantel Cell Lymphoma or " MCL" I was told I had about 2'yrs of Quality Life left before my health would begin failing..
The Doctor could tell that what he had just told me didn't seem to have phased me.. so he began Expressing Very directly at me.. its Cancer Stage stage four, non-Hodgkins Lukemia, it's in your blood and Lymphoma thur out every organ in your Body and in your bones....
Doctor says; go home be happy, maybe take a vacation, some place you've always wanted to go..spend time with your family and Loved ones..
But before I could even ask he was already shaking his head and Stoped me Saying No...
No.... Saying No....
the Doctor continues his efforts to help me comprehend and directly Says There is No Cure. . No Cure has been found for your Lymphoma and Kemo doesn't touch it..
Your Dying
I hadn't been feeling good all year long, So In November of 2018.... I went to a Doctor,
No.... Saying No....
Your Dying
sorry to hear that will pray for ya

·
Registered
345 Posts
No.... Saying No....
Your Dying
But and I knew I wasn't feeling right, Then on this past Thursday May 5th 2022... after Hunting 4 & 1/2 Beautiful days with Robinbluebird.. it was hard for me to make it out of the woods to the car..
They Kept me. As I agreed to stay for and Emergency Surgery Saturday at 10am
to remove my Enlarged Spleen..
I'm in Bad Shap Right Now, but I am Above Ground and Happy 🤠✌
Wasn't expecting that

My uncle had the same. He was quite the crazy jerk for a long time, but after that diagnosis, he became the kindest, most thoughtful person. Lucky for me, that's now how I remember him.

You have my regards and empathy, Wade. I'll surely be thinking of you whenever I find "nothing".

·
Registered
137 Posts
Umm...Jtr? These were in your backyard (figuratively, of course). Look at the stems

View attachment 43262 View attachment 43264 View attachment 43265 View attachment 43266 View attachment 43268 View attachment 43269

67 by 11am...mostly yellows, with 1 tanned bigfoot (I call 'em big hidders). Never doubt the system! lol
I usually end my season when they get big… I prefer med to large greys while the nooks and crannies are still tight… I feel they have the best flavor, I prefer blacks above all else(most intense flavor)… I’m still finding them but my season is winding down…

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hadn't been feeling good all year long, I thought maybe i had gotto Limes disease..
No.... Saying No....
Your Dying
They Kept me...
I'm praying hard for you👍

·
Registered
345 Posts
I usually end my season when they get big… I prefer med to large greys while the nooks and crannies are still tight… I feel they have the best flavor, I prefer blacks above all else(most intense flavor)… I’m still finding them but my season is winding down…
I agree about blacks being more flavorful...that's why I hunt them as hard as anything. I'll still be finding some here and there for a little longer. The patches I found them in a few days ago usually produce a couple/few hundred more. They might still show. If they do, I'll be very happy.

A lot of the yellows I found today were just starting out...3-4 inchers. I really enjoy those as much as the greys. I don't usually hunt for the bigguns anymore because of the knees and the heat, but they sure were fun to hunt when I was younger. I've got 1 or two big forests in me per year if I'm lucky, and I normally have to call it quits within 4 or 5 hours, or pay dearly.

Still one of my favorite things to do...and eat! :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
No.... Saying No....
Your Dying
They Kept me...
I'm glad you shared that Wade. You are my best morel bud and we had big plans for this season. I truly believe next year will be the year our plans work out. I still think it will be (and so far has been) epic up here and we could drive you around Tin Shanty and hunt from the truck. The only problem with that is it is very dry up there and hit 94 degrees today. Plus the price of gas... O.M.G. Just focus on healing so you can come up for our hen, hedgies, black trumpet and chanterelles.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So sorry to hear your diagnosis Wade. I can relate a small bit with you. I had Hodgkins lymphoma when I was just 28. stage 1. Caught it early. Radiation for 14 weeks. I have been dealing with side effects ever since. This year it was exhausting just to get to the woods. But I know we are both driven by morel madness. Hang in there buddy, everyone will be praying and wishing you well.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
No.... Saying No....
Your Dying
They Kept me...
Wade, so sorry to hear this. Have you Googled Mantle Cell Lymphoma? Apparently the Cleveland Clinic and some other places have been working on it, and new treatments have been developed. Can't hurt to check it out. Might not be a complete cure, but can prolong your life. And if you can stick around long enough, maybe a cure will be found.

Consider this story from Paul Stamets. Who? That's what I thought the first time I heard of him. He's a mycologist (studies fungi), who originally comes from Columbiana, OH, a little town about 20 minutes south of me. When his Dad died he moved his Mom out to Washington State to be near him and his Brother who was also out there. She called him one day, her voice quivering, telling him that she was scared. Her right breast was five times the size of her left, she had six angry lymph nodes running down her right side. He rushed her to the best breast cancer clinic in Seattle, and the doctors diagnosed her with advanced stage four breast cancer, said she should have seen two years prior. She was a Charismatic Christian and had not seen a doctor since 1968! The doctor gave her three months to live, at best!

The cancer had broken through the barrier and invaded her sternum and liver. She made her own funeral arrangements, buying the cheapest pine box she could find, because she wasn't afraid to die because she would go to Jesus. The doctor started her on Taxol, to which she had horrible side effects and refused to take it. So, they switched her to Herceptin, and the doctor mentioned that some interesting studies had been done about turkey tail mushrooms boosting the immune system, and that might help the Herceptin work better. She said that her Son was in that business so she gave him a call. Stamets looked up the research literature and and made extracts of turkey tail mycelium and got them to his Mom.

She was 83 when they started treatment, and she lived past 92! Wade, I think that you might need a second opinion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree about blacks being more flavorful...that's why I hunt them as hard as anything. I'll still be finding some here and there for a little longer. The patches I found them in a few days ago usually produce a couple/few hundred more. They might still show. If they do, I'll be very happy.

A lot of the yellows I found today were just starting out...3-4 inchers. I really enjoy those as much as the greys. I don't usually hunt for the bigguns anymore because of the knees and the heat, but they sure were fun to hunt when I was younger. I've got 1 or two big forests in me per year if I'm lucky, and I normally have to call it quits within 4 or 5 hours, or pay dearly.

Still one of my favorite things to do...and eat! :)
Out of curiosity what habitat and what trees do you find black morels in? I'm trying to get some black morel spots up in Minnesota/Wisconsin.

1081 - 1100 of 1276 Posts