Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1101 - 1120 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hadn't been feeling good all year long, I thought maybe i had gotto Limes disease..
So In November of 2018.... I went to a Doctor,
Whom diagnosed me with, Mantel Cell Lymphoma or " MCL" I was told I had about 2'yrs of Quality Life left before my health would begin failing..
The Doctor could tell that what he had just told me didn't seem to have phased me.. so he began Expressing Very directly at me.. its Cancer Stage stage four, non-Hodgkins Lukemia, it's in your blood and Lymphoma thur out every organ in your Body and in your bones....
So..I say ok what should I do now..
Doctor says; go home be happy, maybe take a vacation, some place you've always wanted to go..spend time with your family and Loved ones..
So I ask; ? I mean should I do some kemo treatment or...
But before I could even ask he was already shaking his head and Stoped me Saying No...
No.... Saying No....
the Doctor continues his efforts to help me comprehend and directly Says There is No Cure. . No Cure has been found for your Lymphoma and Kemo doesn't touch it..
There is No Currant Cure or treatment for MCL...
Your Dying
There is Nothing We can do for You
Go Home Live happy and make the most of the time you have left now,
Follow up here in Six Months.
I've made it along for 3 1/2 Years now
But and I knew I wasn't feeling right, Then on this past Thursday May 5th 2022... after Hunting 4 & 1/2 Beautiful days with Robinbluebird.. it was hard for me to make it out of the woods to the car..
I felt worse thur the night.. by Friday morning We drove me to the ER ....
They Kept me...
As I agreed to stay for Emergency Surgery Saturday at 10am
to remove my Enlarged Spleen..
This Major Surgery is where I have been..
I'm in Bad Shap Right Now, but I am Above Ground and Happy 🤠✌
God bless you and keep you, healthy! Amen

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hadn't been feeling good all year long, I thought maybe i had gotto Limes disease..
Whom diagnosed me with, Mantel Cell Lymphoma or " MCL" I was told I had about 2'yrs of Quality Life left before my health would begin failing..
The Doctor could tell that what he had just told me didn't seem to have phased me.. so he began Expressing Very directly at me.. its Cancer Stage stage four, non-Hodgkins Lukemia, it's in your blood and Lymphoma thur out every organ in your Body and in your bones....
Doctor says; go home be happy, maybe take a vacation, some place you've always wanted to go..spend time with your family and Loved ones..
But before I could even ask he was already shaking his head and Stoped me Saying No...
No.... Saying No....
the Doctor continues his efforts to help me comprehend and directly Says There is No Cure. . No Cure has been found for your Lymphoma and Kemo doesn't touch it..
Your Dying
But and I knew I wasn't feeling right, Then on this past Thursday May 5th 2022... after Hunting 4 & 1/2 Beautiful days with Robinbluebird.. it was hard for me to make it out of the woods to the car..
They Kept me...
No.... Saying No....
Your Dying
They Kept me...
Wade,

You've been a big part of my life "unknowingly" since April of 2020 when my father passed. He grew up on big hurricane around hunters honey farm, Max Kindred was his name. I took up mushroom hunting shortly after to help with the emptiness and sorrow. I would of gave up if it wasn't for this forum and your knowledge. This year I find myself looking for your post to direct me often while crying in the woods. You are an incredible person and a huge influence on my life. Thank you sir and I look forward to your post until the good lord calls us home.

Joey

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
Wade,

You've been a big part of my life "unknowingly" since April of 2020 when my father passed. He grew up on big hurricane around hunters honey farm, Max Kindred was his name. I took up mushroom hunting shortly after to help with the emptiness and sorrow. I would of gave up if it wasn't for this forum and your knowledge. This year I find myself looking for your post to direct me often while crying in the woods. You are an incredible person and a huge influence on my life. Thank you sir and I look forward to your post until the good lord calls us home.

Joey
Awesome

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wade,

Joey
Agreed… This hobby/addiction of ours is something that gives us comfort and reassurance in the seasons and things we can’t control… If I’ve learned anything from your posts, it’s that perseverance always prevails… You are truly a guiding light in this dark world and many more hunts are in your future… Take care my Fungi friend…🙏

·
Registered
244 Posts
Even though I have never met you Wade like KYgoodoldboy said you have become a part of my life. I feel like I know the people on this site with our common passion of Morels. Keep up the fight Wade. Last July my family got a shock as my brother was diagnosed with lung cancer at 58. Guy has never smoked or drank in his life. The older we all get the more we take care of ourselves and get our routine checks. Had my first Colonoscopy last June. Nothing to it. If you dont want to do it for yourself do it for your family and loved ones.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wade, so sorry to hear this. Have you Googled Mantle Cell Lymphoma? Apparently the Cleveland Clinic and some other places have been working on it, and new treatments have been developed. Can't hurt to check it out. Might not be a complete cure, but can prolong your life. And if you can stick around long enough, maybe a cure will be found.

Consider this story from Paul Stamets. Who? That's what I thought the first time I heard of him. He's a mycologist (studies fungi), who originally comes from Columbiana, OH, a little town about 20 minutes south of me. When his Dad died he moved his Mom out to Washington State to be near him and his Brother who was also out there. She called him one day, her voice quivering, telling him that she was scared. Her right breast was five times the size of her left, she had six angry lymph nodes running down her right side. He rushed her to the best breast cancer clinic in Seattle, and the doctors diagnosed her with advanced stage four breast cancer, said she should have seen two years prior. She was a Charismatic Christian and had not seen a doctor since 1968! The doctor gave her three months to live, at best!

The cancer had broken through the barrier and invaded her sternum and liver. She made her own funeral arrangements, buying the cheapest pine box she could find, because she wasn't afraid to die because she would go to Jesus. The doctor started her on Taxol, to which she had horrible side effects and refused to take it. So, they switched her to Herceptin, and the doctor mentioned that some interesting studies had been done about turkey tail mushrooms boosting the immune system, and that might help the Herceptin work better. She said that her Son was in that business so she gave him a call. Stamets looked up the research literature and and made extracts of turkey tail mycelium and got them to his Mom.

She was 83 when they started treatment, and she lived past 92! Wade, I think that you might need a second opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a book I think you should read Wade, and anybody else that has concerns about the dreaded disease; The truth about cancer by Ty M. Bolinger. I got it on amazon. Very eye opening . I think you will benefit and it will give you hope and you will be with us for a long time. I know you are a strong person and have a massive amount of support! In the famous words of Jimmy Valvano(don't ever give up!)

·
Registered
769 Posts
@wade I hadn't checked in on the Indiana page lately and even though I already knew about the mcl I am so sorry to hear about the surgery and the fact your not feeling the best. I know you tho your not done yet! Got too much stubbornness in ya and you gotta make it to next season cause we didnt get to hunt together this year! I'm glad you and robin had some quality time in the woods. My daughter is still fighting her fight even though at 14 they said 8 mos she just hit 27 in march! Get feeling better my friend you got my number plz keep me updated as I haven't had alot of time to check the forum lately.
Here's some tree pics for ya
Plant Tree Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk
Plant Plant community Tree Wood Twig
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Branch Wood
Plant community Plant Twig Wood Terrestrial plant
Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Wood Trunk

Plant community Plant Twig Wood Natural landscape
Mushroom Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Natural landscape
Plant Automotive tire Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk
Brown Plant Tree Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Out of curiosity what habitat and what trees do you find black morels in? I'm trying to get some black morel spots up in Minnesota/Wisconsin.
In all honesty, Glenn from Michigan could probably help you a little better that far north. You should hit him up on the Michigan thread.

Ash trees harbor more blacks for me than most other trees, and I look more in spots that get both morning and afternoon sun...I usually start in the SE or south-central parts of the forest, and look for the warm spots

·
Registered
345 Posts
I went out to check a couple spots closer to home this morning, and everything is scorched. Porter County forest canopies look like they could have them, but the sun is baking everything.

The spots where I was finding blacks are burned bad...the fiddles, ramps, and every bit of ground cover is yellow and dying. The rest of the forest filled in so quick that even my late season spots in those forests aren't producing. I found one burned up yellow in a spot I walked through on Thursday, when it wasn't there. If it rains, I'll go out after and asses the situation. But, without the rain, the lower temps might not save us.
Plant Terrestrial plant Reptile Flower Grass

·
Registered
351 Posts
No.... Saying No....
Your Dying
They Kept me...
It would seem strange to most (and to me years ago) that there would be such a kinship formed by a bunch of people who like to wander around the woods looking for mushrooms… The advice, encouragement and humor shared by you and others helps keep me motivated. @wade although we have never met I will always have you with me when I’m in the woods.. I pray for many more hunts for you………. ED

·
Registered
58 Posts
In all honesty, Glenn from Michigan could probably help you a little better that far north. You should hit him up on the Michigan thread.

Ash trees harbor more blacks for me than most other trees, and I look more in spots that get both morning and afternoon sun...I usually start in the SE or south-central parts of the forest, and look for the warm spots
Sounds good, I'll go over and try and get a hold of him.👍

·
Registered
558 Posts
Was able to find a couple, but with this heat won't be but a day or two n they will be done for in my area. Sucks cause was wanting to take the boy out one more time so he could try n find nothing. Guess shall see..
Plant Green Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Food Ingredient Staple food Tableware Cuisine
but on another note the woods are mostly empty now n don't have near as much competition, only bad part is gotta go way back to find anything cause up close has been all trampled down. Guess it's close to time to put the ol golf club up n get the fishing poles out.

1101 - 1120 of 1276 Posts