Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1301 - 1320 of 1333 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hey, @wade & @Kokomorel, I was cleaning the garage out and came across this old meter. It measures light, pH, and moisture levels in the soil...seems to work pretty well. I'm gonna try to experiment with it next spring to see if we come up with any new morel patterns. I'm posting this because I have a terrible memory and might need a reminder to bring it with me.

View attachment 43896
Is there a brand name on that meter? I had a moisture meter that I found in my Mom's garage after she passed. Loved that thing, but lost it a couple years ago. Yours looks like a really nice multi-meter. I hope to be able to Google it, and find out where I can get one. I also plant a veggie garden, so it would have multiple uses.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Is there a brand name on that meter? I had a moisture meter that I found in my Mom's garage after she passed. Loved that thing, but lost it a couple years ago. Yours looks like a really nice multi-meter. I hope to be able to Google it, and find out where I can get one. I also plant a veggie garden, so it would have multiple uses.
No name brand, and it's made in China. That means I probably found it on eBay. It's solar powered, and has a switch to flip between the three readings. The sensors go 6-8 inches deep.

The only information the packaging gives is a plant watering guide, which would be useful if it weren't mostly Asian plant species...for example: aloe and cactus should be in the "red" moisture zone (1-3), the "green" zone (4-5) is begonias and philodendron, 5-6 is African violets and rubber plant, and 6-7 is lilies, ferns and orchids.

The light meter really has me curious. I tried it out in a few different areas...shade under a tree that gets sun 2/3 of the day, shade under 1 that gets sun 1/3, and an open spot that gets a lot of sun. All three readings were different, and represented the amount of sunlight the spot received pretty well.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Pretty slow on here just how many of you plan on hunting summer and fall shrooms. It’s not going to be long. Been trying to fill up the freezer with fish till the shrooms start good luck out there and be safe
Hey buddy, I plan on hunting summer shrooms but I think you knew that!
Keep me posted on here when you start seeing the chants please.

In the meantime, I got the my boat (Th'Seacock) ready for some fishing.

Boat Watercraft Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi wade , How are you feeling lately? Hope you are still on the mend! I see from previous posts that you like farm antiques. Here is a project that I couldn't pass up. Found on the southside of Indy. Was a family heirloom from Ky. Hope this cheers you up.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system
Using it as a garden ornament. Hang in there buddy! I'm sure everyone would like an update.

·
Administrator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,307 ·
Hi wade , How are you feeling lately? Hope you are still on the mend! I see from previous posts that you like farm antiques. Here is a project that I couldn't pass up. Found on the southside of Indy. Was a family heirloom from Ky. Hope this cheers you up. View attachment 43934 View attachment 43935 Using it as a garden ornament. Hang in there buddy! I'm sure everyone would like an update.
Howdy @jim_t57 and Everyone..
Good job , on Preserveing that old Planter,
I am Really Good 👍🏻 🤠✌ and Everyday above ground is a good one, Right !!..
Just had my after surgery follow-up appointment today, which it was like a joke to me because it was like, Hi how are you , ok bye 👋
Bout 7 minutes max , .. I was expecting a little more of an Examination,.. But same as They...
I myself Assume that I am ok and Healed-up inside..
I've been outside every morning working on Treehugger little at a time.. but still taking it Really easy, got one knee still hurting me to walk on... my guess and hope is that in July I will be way all ok 👍🏻 and begin a very lite exercise program , real lite like yoga, and a sit-up then add in bicycle Rides 🚲 😀....
So I'm really doing Good now.. and a little better everyday, just a little ...
I fully believe and intend to be Better than ever before for Morel Season 2023 🇺🇲🦅🍄✌🍄🌞

·
Registered
274 Posts
Howdy @jim_t57 and Everyone..
Good job , on Preserveing that old Planter,
I am Really Good 👍🏻 🤠✌ and Everyday above ground is a good one, Right !!..
Just had my after surgery follow-up appointment today, which it was like a joke to me because it was like, Hi how are you , ok bye 👋
Bout 7 minutes max , .. I was expecting a little more of an Examination,.. But same as They...
I myself Assume that I am ok and Healed-up inside..
I've been outside every morning working on Treehugger little at a time.. but still taking it Really easy, got one knee still hurting me to walk on... my guess and hope is that in July I will be way all ok 👍🏻 and begin a very lite exercise program , real lite like yoga, and a sit-up then add in bicycle Rides 🚲 😀....
So I'm really doing Good now.. and a little better everyday, just a little ...
I fully believe and intend to be Better than ever before for Morel Season 2023 🇺🇲🦅🍄✌🍄🌞
Excellent! That's what I wanted to hear! You are headed down the right course. Definitely up to you to do what's best for you.Doctors got what they wanted... several procedures to bill. Limit your intake of poisons and try some anti inflammatory natural herbs. Without a spleen to disburse them they can accumulate in the body. Sweat a lot if you can stand it. I'm sure your garlic bed can help with that. Hang in there the next 100 year morel season is just around the corner.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Whats the earliest you have ever found chanterelles in Indiana please give dates and county
I found a couple chants in NW Indiana during morel season last year (mid-May)...easily the earliest I've ever seen them, but I don't actively hunt them too often. They happened to be near a canopy oak, at the bottom of the north side of a hill...opposite side of where I found some my first morels last year. I normally find late morels in that area, but came across chants in their place.

It was weird cuz there was a cold spell that tampered the yellow morels up here. We got back up to the 70s and lower 80s in time, but the nights were still kinda cold. The spot gets a lot of early and mid-spring sun, and still gets some after the trees fill in, but I hadn't seen that hole come in like that in something like 12 years of hunting there.

FYI, I didn't see chants this year. I think the last time I looked was around May 17-18...I found a handful of morels in the same forest, but that's it. Normally, that forest is teaming with all kinds of different fungi species, but I saw very little of anything this season.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Whats the earliest you have ever found chanterelles in Indiana please give dates and county
I have been working on identifying more every year , finally found my first oysters and felt confident enough to eat them ,taste great and I aint dead, I am almost positive I have found chanterelles but not been confident enough to try I will be watching threw out the summer for pictures and advise ,its my next goal

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have been working on identifying more every year , finally found my first oysters and felt confident enough to eat them ,taste great and I aint dead, I am almost positive I have found chanterelles but not been confident enough to try I will be watching threw out the summer for pictures and advise ,its my next goal
Good job buddy!
Slow and steady and soon you'll be eating all kinds of wild mushrooms!

·
Super Moderator
Summer and fall shrooms are my addictions
719 Posts
We've had rain and heat in SW MI so I'll go check per your advice soon and report back.

Thanks for the heads up.
With these temperatures if you have moisture you have shrooms. I did pick a handful of oysters on our hike this morning and took a few pics
Plant Flower Petal Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Water resources Plant Plant community Green Natural environment
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Twig
Plant Terrestrial plant Flower Natural landscape Twig
Flower Wood Plant Terrestrial plant Natural landscape
Plant Natural environment Terrestrial plant Grass Trunk
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Trunk Fungus

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
The first time I ever found chants was late June in someone's back yard where we were working. The yard was full of large oaks and there were all kinds of Boletes as well as russulas. Think I'll hit the woods this weekend!
Good Luck let us know what you find

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
The first time I ever found chants was late June in someone's back yard where we were working. The yard was full of large oaks and there were all kinds of Boletes as well as russulas. Think I'll hit the woods this weekend!
Yesterday was the earliest I have found chants

1301 - 1320 of 1333 Posts