Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1321 - 1333 of 1333 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hit the woods Sun. morning hoping for some summer shrooms and did not find a single fungus. We had major heat with a couple thunderstorms last week so I thought it would be good. This weeks forecast looks about the same. Should be any day now. On the brighter side, my grandson and I went trolling for pike last evening and caught and released 16 in about two hours. They were biting good!

·
Registered
91 Posts
View attachment 43986
I found this on my oyster log this week. I haven't seen oyster take this shape before. has anyone seen oysters shaped like a vase or are these something else?
These are oysters- they are simply aged oysters. As oysters get older the caps turn from concave to convex (as pictured). For flavor, oysters are best harvested when their caps are still in a concave shape. You can see one at the bottom of this cluster is still concave while the ones in the center are convex. You can still eat them all they just won't have quite the strength in flavor as they do when younger! When cultivators harvest their oysters that you'd see on the shelf of any store they harvest them when the caps are still concave because 1) longer shelf life as it's still young and 2) better flavor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been working on identifying more every year , finally found my first oysters and felt confident enough to eat them ,taste great and I aint dead, I am almost positive I have found chanterelles but not been confident enough to try I will be watching threw out the summer for pictures and advise ,its my next goal
The way to be confident you've found chanterelles is that they have what are called 'false gills'. A true gill on the underside of a cap is like the page of a book you can reach out and rip it off singularly. A false gill won't appear like this- instead it is like a ridge on the underside of the gold, orange, yellow, or pink chanterelle. You wouldn't be able to rip it off. Secondly, if you open up what you think is a chanterelle and it has both the book sheet like gill and a yellow/orange inside, do not eat it it's not a chanterelle. A chanterelle will have a white inside flesh with the ridge like gill and nothing else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These are oysters- they are simply aged oysters. As oysters get older the caps turn from concave to convex (as pictured). For flavor, oysters are best harvested when their caps are still in a convex shape. You can see one at the bottom of this cluster is still convex while the ones in the center are concave. You can still eat them all they just won't have quite the strength in flavor as they do when younger! When cultivators harvest their oysters that you'd see on the shelf of any store they harvest them when the caps are still concave because 1) longer shelf life as it's still young and 2) better flavor.
[/QUOTE

Ok thanks for the response. These oyster were not there 6 days before this picture but I guess in this heat we have been having they went that way in a hurry. I thought they were still oysters I just haven’t seen them curl like that before

·
Registered
91 Posts
1321 - 1333 of 1333 Posts