Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1381 - 1400 of 1437 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Fresh shed I found today and this maitake look a like! I know it's not maitake. It's like if chickens and maitake mated. WHAT IS THIS THING IT IS ALL OVER MY WOODS!?!?!?! EVERY YEAR?!?! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It looks to me like it is growing close to the roots of oak trees! Hmmm! Yes, we normally expect Hen of the Woods later in the year, but i've found Meadow Mushrooms, 'Pinkies", Agaricus campestris, in June here in NE Ohio! This was in an extremely wet year. They flush under a couple of maple trees in a public park that borders the road! I spotted them while waiting for a traffic light! They are usually a very late flushing species, arriving in mid-Fall right up until the first frost!

Let's face it. Muchrooms flush when they want to, and we can't always predict it! I've had morel seasons set up like they were going to be ideal, and I couldn't find crap! Others didn't look so good and there were morels everywhere! We really do not know what makes them function, although we would like to think that we do!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Fresh shed I found today and this maitake look a like! I know it's not maitake. It's like if chickens and maitake mated. WHAT IS THIS THING IT IS ALL OVER MY WOODS!?!?!?! EVERY YEAR?!?! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP LOL
This is the closest specimen I could find in my field guide. If it is it is amazingly fresh and hasn't developed the darker colors yet. The pic I sent shows upturned rosettes where your pics show more downturned . It would be interesting if you go back there to see if they have changed . the closest other was Velvet toothed polypore. So I guess the only thing for sure is that it is a polypore. lol
Ingredient Mushroom Recipe Polyporales Reptile
Book Publication Font Material property Handwriting
Hope this was somewhat helpful

·
Registered
122 Posts
It looks to me like it is growing close to the roots of oak trees! Hmmm! Yes, we normally expect Hen of the Woods later in the year, but i've found Meadow Mushrooms, 'Pinkies", Agaricus campestris, in June here in NE Ohio! This was in an extremely wet year. They flush under a couple of maple trees in a public park that borders the road! I spotted them while waiting for a traffic light! They are usually a very late flushing species, arriving in mid-Fall right up until the first frost!

Let's face it. Muchrooms flush when they want to, and we can't always predict it! I've had morel seasons set up like they were going to be ideal, and I couldn't find crap! Others didn't look so good and there were morels everywhere! We really do not know what makes them function, although we would like to think that we do!
I would have potentially believed this was an early hen if I hadn't already harvested around 50 pounds of hens total last fall off this property and they are distinctly different! I hear you though that sometimes with a cool drop we'll get a fall species a little early! I think I did identify this species though. Spent an hour in David Aurora's "Mushrooms Demystified" and finally ran across the 'Bondarzewia Montana' aka Grifola Mesenterica and it has to be this species! The description and photos online fit perfectly. Unfortunately, it's listed as extremely bitter and tough- not a preferred edible! But hey- it's massive and gorgeous!

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is the closest specimen I could find in my field guide. If it is it is amazingly fresh and hasn't developed the darker colors yet. The pic I sent shows upturned rosettes where your pics show more downturned . It would be interesting if you go back there to see if they have changed . the closest other was Velvet toothed polypore. So I guess the only thing for sure is that it is a polypore. lol View attachment 44123 View attachment 44124 Hope this was somewhat helpful
I found it in David Aurora's "Mushrooms Demystified," it's a Bondarzewia Montana aka Grifola Mesenterica not a good edible though :( wonder if it's medicinal properties range close to the frondosa though- could make a good tincture! Will be looking into medicinal properties here soon online

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found a few of these a few weeks ago. I always thought they were black staining polypores and just left them alone.
Polyporales Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Groundcover

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey guys, this is from the Caldor Fire thread (California). Anybody have a clue as to what it might be?

from @pescgato :
I was just up in the Caldor Fire area yesterday finding some nice ones, definitely saw some that were already cut so maybe those were the ones you left behind! If so thank you! Also found this massive "Morel?" it has characteristics of a Morel but is lacking a completely hollow interior as you can see there's pockets. At the same time this doesn't seem to 100% fit a false morel as well. Any idea of what this one might be?

Wood Adaptation Plant Soil Tree

Fur clothing Wood Hide Natural material Trunk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I found a few of these a few weeks ago. I always thought they were black staining polypores and just left them alone. View attachment 44126
One difference I'm finding in David's Book is that the black-staining polypore is typically at the base of a living deciduous tree. The majority of the ones I'm finding are by stumps/dead trees which is closer to the Bondarzewia montana. However, the bondarzewia is more commonly found on the west coast. How about yours, are they near dead stumps or living trees? I'll let y'all know what I find when i try to get one to stain next time I'm out in bowling green

1381 - 1400 of 1437 Posts