Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1401 - 1420 of 1437 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
One difference I'm finding in David's Book is that the black-staining polypore is typically at the base of a living deciduous tree. The majority of the ones I'm finding are by stumps/dead trees which is closer to the Bondarzewia montana. However, the bondarzewia is more commonly found on the west coast. How about yours, are they near dead stumps or living trees? I'll let y'all know what I find when i try to get one to stain next time I'm out in bowling green
I believe I have seen them on both dead and living trees, but the dead trees were still standing not stumps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fresh shed I found today and this maitake look a like! I know it's not maitake. It's like if chickens and maitake mated. WHAT IS THIS THING IT IS ALL OVER MY WOODS!?!?!?! EVERY YEAR?!?! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP LOL
I found this one today. It was at the base of a dead standing tree. It took about 10-15 min to start to stain in the red circle after I tore a few chunks off
Polyporales Plant Mushroom Botany Flower
Plant Tree Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Wood

·
Registered
279 Posts
The rain has them growing here in central In. Went out for about 45 mins this late morning. Several species to be seen and enjoyed. Got enough prime goldens to saute and freeze in layers to enjoy on my venison and beef steaks this winter. Like to throw a few on my pizza and pasta sauce also.
Food Kitchen appliance Ingredient Recipe Kitchen
Flower Yellow Petal Finger Thumb
Plant Plant community Mushroom Natural landscape Terrestrial plant
Polyporales Organism Natural landscape Tremella Wood
Plant Leaf Mushroom Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Terrestrial plant Petal Jelly fungus Fungus Natural landscape

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone finding lobsters yet? They usually start around this time. They are one of my favorite mushrooms with a firm texture and a seafood taste.
I've always wanted to find and have yet to find. hopefully this year I'll get the opportunity to stumble across some. I found some shrimp of the woods last year in october which was really cool and is also the result of a parasitic reaction between mushroom species

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thought I would post how I preserved those chants i found earlier this week. First pic to last is 41 mins. Food Ingredient Recipe Yellow Cuisine
Cut in equal sizes. Food Recipe Ingredient Staple food Yellow
Cook on high heat with lid on until their water is released. Food Ingredient Staple food Recipe Deep frying
remove lid Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Dish
and continue cooking on high until liquid is about gone. At this point I add real butter and salt and garlic pepper. If you like them au natural ,you can omit these. Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Cuisine
Remove from heat and freeze in layers on cookie sheet. Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Recipe
After frozen I bag them in resealable freezer bags and just warm them up or use in many recipes. I show the button mushrooms I froze from Sam's Club last month as an example.(didn't want to wait for them to freeze.) Food Cuisine Dish Ingredient Seafood
If this helps one person I will be elated. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
809 Posts
This woke me up!

Today over here in OH, after picking Chanterelles I opened the pasture gate just enough to side step through. Only problem was my shirt was tucked in, billowed out at the back, soaked with sweat and . . . . . it brushed the electric fence . . . . Yup!! . . . it worked! o_O 😖 😄 Laugh was on me.

Enjoy the woods! 😎 🌞

·
Super Moderator
Summer and fall shrooms are my addictions
743 Posts
Just thought I would share this with everyone we found tons of oysters when we were camping this weekend cooked up oysters every day after several cocktails we decided to experiment made oyster chips over the fire. They are very good plan or with dips did find a few chants but the trip was mostly just to relax and live in the great outdoors for a few days. Get out there and enjoy your time together with loved ones and the outdoors. Keep on Shroomin everyone 🍄🌻🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🥂
Plant Vehicle Tree Wheel Land lot
Water Plant Sky Cloud Water resources
Wood Organism Mushroom Natural material Trunk
Food Frying pan Ingredient Recipe Karahi
Yellow Grass Wood Terrestrial plant Plant

1401 - 1420 of 1437 Posts