Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1421 - 1437 of 1437 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do you have advice for searching for lobsters? I've always read hemlocks are the key, is that so in your case?
I do not see hemlocks in my areas. I find lobsters where I find lactarius mushrooms. I believe these are the mushrooms that are invaded by the paracite. They are usually in small areas of the woods that have shagbark hickory with little ground cover. I only know of a few spots but they come back every year around August. Good luck finding them, they are delicious!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I do not see hemlocks in my areas. I find lobsters where I find lactarius mushrooms. I believe these are the mushrooms that are invaded by the paracite. They are usually in small areas of the woods that have shagbark hickory with little ground cover. I only know of a few spots but they come back every year around August. Good luck finding them, they are delicious!
I know a few spots in my woods with lactarius and shagbarks so I'll start there next time I'm out! I appreciate your input!!!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've been a Happy Camper most of my life. FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is just not part of my psychological makeup.
However . . . I've never harvested a single Lobster Mushroom.

I think I'd like to change that!!

I'm mostly limited to Central OH.

Is it true that Young Dogs can learn Old Tricks?

This seems like something to ponder while out in the woods hunting mushrooms!!

Good adventures to all mushroom hunters. 😎 🌞

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been a Happy Camper most of my life. FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is just not part of my psychological makeup.
However . . . I've never harvested a single Lobster Mushroom.

I think I'd like to change that!!

I'm mostly limited to Central OH.

Is it true that Young Dogs can learn Old Tricks?

This seems like something to ponder while out in the woods hunting mushrooms!!

Good adventures to all mushroom hunters. 😎 🌞
I hadn't either until a few years ago. Now I can find them at three different locations. it may be a mushroom that prefers the northern climate better. I know they find a lot of them in Minn. and N. Mi. I live on the Michiana line. I have found them as far south as Ft. Wayne.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Very nice! Post pick of the pies if you can. Thanks.
Some photos of the savory chanterelle apple pie! Here's what I do. I take 2 lbs of chanterelles and break them down by hand into small bits. I throw them on the hot pan and let all the water exuded out and vaporize away. Then I toss in a medium sized yellow onion cut lengthwise and I add 4-6 tbsps of butter. I cook the chanterelles and onions until the onions are carmelized (this takes a long time- like 50 minutes) when I need to deglaze the pan during the process I use a quality apple cider in splashes.

Once the onions are carmelized I add in 1 inch of fresh grated ginger. Then I add in my two pounds of sliced apples. I cook it for about 3-4 minutes until the apples are soft and I add it to my pie crusts. After taking off the heat add as much honey as you want and stir until the apples are coated in your honey!

For the crust I use my grandma's recipe with one alteration. I take 5 cups of flour and mix in a few pinches of salt. Then I cut in 2 cups of lard with a fork (this time I used goose fat) with my grandma we always used two cups of margarine. Then I take one egg and I crack it into a measuring 1 cup. I lightly beat the egg with a fork and I fill the cup up to the brim with raw cow milk. I throw this in the flour and I mix with my hands. Roll out on a heavily floured surface and pinch your crusts together! Make sure to put in the crow's feet cuts and I always slip a few slabs of butter in the cuts. Then I take a bit more of the milk and I gently rub it around the top of the crust to encourage browning.

I had trouble baking mine this time (you can see in the photos the crust browned a bit more than preferred on the edges). I put the pie in the oven at 420 for 10 minutes than reduced to 360 for another 1 1/2! It took forever to get it bubbling. You want to see bubbling through your cuts. I'd recommend putting it in initially at 425 for about 20-30 minutes and then reducing to 360-375 until bubbling appears. Enjoy! I'll post a photo once it's sliced. This is my dad's favorite pie recipe hands down. He had it the first time last year and hasn't stopped mentioning it this season. Because I get all my mushrooms off his property I'm happy to give back in return but I'll be sure to take a slice home with me after dropping it off!! It's just so delicious!

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some photos of the savory chanterelle apple pie! Here's what I do. I take 2 lbs of chanterelles and break them down by hand into small bits. I throw them on the hot pan and let all the water exuded out and vaporize away. Then I toss in a medium sized yellow onion cut lengthwise and I add 4-6 tbsps of butter. I cook the chanterelles and onions until the onions are carmelized (this takes a long time- like 50 minutes) when I need to deglaze the pan during the process I use a quality apple cider in splashes.

Once the onions are carmelized I add in 1 inch of fresh grated ginger. Then I add in my two pounds of sliced apples. I cook it for about 3-4 minutes until the apples are soft and I add it to my pie crusts.

For the crust I use my grandma's recipe with one alteration. I take 5 cups of flour and mix in a few pinches of salt. Then I cut in 2 cups of lard with a fork (this time I used goose fat) with my grandma we always used two cups of margarine. Then I take one egg and I crack it into a measuring 1 cup. I lightly beat the egg with a fork and I fill the cup up to the brim with raw cow milk. I throw this in the flour and I mix with my hands. Roll out on a heavily floured surface and pinch your crusts together! Make sure to put in the crow's feet cuts and I always slip a few slabs of butter in the cuts. Then I take a bit more of the milk and I gently rub it around the top of the crust to encourage browning.

I had trouble baking mine this time (you can see in the photos the crust browned a bit more than preferred on the edges). I put the pie in the oven at 420 for 10 minutes than reduced to 360 for another 1 1/2! It took forever to get it bubbling. You want to see bubbling through your cuts. I'd recommend putting it in initially at 425 for about 20-30 minutes and then reducing to 360-375 until bubbling appears. Enjoy! I'll post a photo once it's sliced. This is my dad's favorite pie recipe hands down. He had it the first time last year and hasn't stopped mentioning it this season. Because I get all my mushrooms off his property I'm happy to give back in return but I'll be sure to take a slice home with me after dropping it off!! It's just so delicious!
Thanks so much for the recipe and pics!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks so much for the recipe and pics!!
Totally, no problem! I forgot the final step of adding honey but I went back and edited the recipe to include this step in my original post. Hope someone on here gets to enjoy making this at home too. I'll tell you the carmelizing the onions is really the most time consuming part the rest of it is rather easy

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

Once the onions are carmelized I add in 1 inch of fresh grated ginger. Then I add in my two pounds of sliced apples. I cook it for about 3-4 minutes until the apples are soft and I add it to my pie crusts. After taking off the heat add as much honey as you want and stir until the apples are coated in your honey!

I like the idea of lard for the crust. Back when Emeril Lagasse was still cooking on TV, he did a pastry show, and recommended lard for the fat. claimed it made the flakiest pastry crusts ever! This looks delicious!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Buddy at work found this, Eastern Cauliflower mushroom, we’re going with and if I could get the pic to load I would post it
AWESOME!!! They are wonderful and a choice gourmet! But they are usually more difficult to clean than even a hen! Here's some photos of some I found last year. i hope they come back this year! they are supposedly related to the coral fungi and I found mine very close to where I found the coral fungi (clavicorona pyxidata) earlier this year . Hope you get a photo to share!

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well the report on the eastern cauliflower mushroom, it was really good, maybe better than morels, not my opinion, i didn't get to try it, but my buddy and his kids really liked it, along with some crappie we caught at Cataract saturday morning. But I digress.

I should have some time in the woods this the next couple of weekends. Loading the weed eater, chainsaw, and fishing poles and heading to the inlaws to work and relax. 2 ponds and 50 acres of woods, should see something out there this weekend.

Then the following weekend will be the 41st annual Squirrelfest. Squirrels have been warned.

·
Super Moderator
Summer and fall shrooms are my addictions
743 Posts
Well the report on the eastern cauliflower mushroom, it was really good, maybe better than morels, not my opinion, i didn't get to try it, but my buddy and his kids really liked it, along with some crappie we caught at Cataract saturday morning. But I digress.

I should have some time in the woods this the next couple of weekends. Loading the weed eater, chainsaw, and fishing poles and heading to the inlaws to work and relax. 2 ponds and 50 acres of woods, should see something out there this weekend.

Then the following weekend will be the 41st annual Squirrelfest. Squirrels have been warned.
Sounds like a great time good luck buddy hope you get some good shrooms

1421 - 1437 of 1437 Posts