Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1441 - 1460 of 1476 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Howdy Everyone.. Wade here, I'm doin Really good, and Continue to be a little better everyday
I have been Working around home , all the normal summer chores..
I hope all is goin good for everyone here ...
Good to hear from you brother, we have missed our Sgt. Hulka, our Big Toe, glad you are hiking the road to recovery.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I Headed to Lexington Indiana to the in-laws for the weekend with the beagles, my wife and the female side of the families were at our house for a bachlorette party, but I dirgress.

Got lot's of mowing, weed eating and wood cut, then some catfishing, and I mean catfishing on steriods. Within the first hour Saturday evening I caught 6 channels, setting a new PR with a 15-2, caught 2 more sunday morning, a couple of 10 lbs + thrown in for good measure. Caught them on shrimp, didn't have much, the last two were caught on turkey sausage. Will post some pics if I am able.

Squirrelfest 2022 begins Friday.

Oh, yea, did get in the woods for an hour sunday morning, nothing found on the edible side, figured i better throw in some shroom info, still good to be out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Y'all, I went out to Bowling Green, IN last week and had an AMAZING day. I found loads of chanterelles (another 8 pounds) which brings me closer to 25 pounds this season including my finds in Acton, IN. Aside from the gorgeous chanterelles I found some old man of the woods, a rare/unidentifiable dark chanterelle that's not a pig's ear and not a horn of plenty but I ate it and it was SUPERB like 10x the flavor of a golden chanterelle. i'll post some videos and photos as soon as I get a chance. Alongside that, because @jashroomer mentioned his friend finding the eastern cauliflower I had my eyes open for some and found a new area with three clusters of sparassis spathulata. I fried it up in just egg and butter and unfortunately found out I'm one of the small percent of people that have a very negative GI response to eating sparassis. holy cow, woke up in the middle of the night with a completely distended stomach however the cauliflower flavor and texture was phenomenal so I think it's worth the risk. If you run across some I'd just recommend trying one to two pieces the first night to see how your stomach reacts before going all in.

I also found a very beautiful quilted green/cracking green russula. will get photos up ASAP

·
Administrator
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,444 ·
Y'all, I went out to Bowling Green, IN last week and had an AMAZING day. I found loads of chanterelles (another 8 pounds) which brings me closer to 25 pounds this season including my finds in Acton, IN. Aside from the gorgeous chanterelles I found some old man of the woods, a rare/unidentifiable dark chanterelle that's not a pig's ear and not a horn of plenty but I ate it and it was SUPERB like 10x the flavor of a golden chanterelle. i'll post some videos and photos as soon as I get a chance. Alongside that, because @jashroomer mentioned his friend finding the eastern cauliflower I had my eyes open for some and found a new area with three clusters of sparassis spathulata. I fried it up in just egg and butter and unfortunately found out I'm one of the small percent of people that have a very negative GI response to eating sparassis. holy cow, woke up in the middle of the night with a completely distended stomach however the cauliflower flavor and texture was phenomenal so I think it's worth the risk. If you run across some I'd just recommend trying one to two pieces the first night to see how your stomach reacts before going all in.

I also found a very beautiful quilted green/cracking green russula. will get photos up ASAP
That sounds so.. very good... I Love Kentucky Outdoors.. Back in 1993 .. I almost, ALOMOST
decided to Live in Mammoth Cave National Park for the Rest of My Life, But at that cross road,
I did not.....
UnRelated; why am I finding Locust shells did these guys oversleep?

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Summer and fall shrooms are my addictions
756 Posts
I did find 1 that was still white underneath and it was smaller. I threw out the bigger ones they were pretty spongy. I havent tried the smaller one yet
They will turn whatever your cooking with them black. I dry them and grind them up it makes great seasoning on meat. Good Luck Shroomin

1441 - 1460 of 1476 Posts