Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1461 - 1476 of 1476 Posts

·
Administrator
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,462 ·
Finally made it out today been laid up for a few weeks. Very dry in my neck of the woods did manage to find some chicken harvested one small tender one and found 3 to old. Get out there there up good Luck Shroomin and have some fun in the woods 🍄🥩🍺 View attachment 44344
Shrooms, Steak, Beer .....Hhhhmmm got me thinking now... I want some... I will make a Beer and Steak Run...
Actually it's 4:30am, I'm just gonna start with a coffee ☕ till the sun gets up 🤠✌🍄

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Are you referring to the pic immediately above your post? Those are chicken of the woods (Laetiporous sulfureus), and they are incredibly edible! Here's one way to fix them. Mind you, even though they are edible, some people have a reaction to polypore mushroom. So, if you find some, eat only a very small amount the first time.

Notice that these are from the Pacific Northwest and are Laetiporous conifericula. The two types I''ve found in NE Ohio are Laetiporous sulfureus, and Laetiporous cincinnatus.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you referring to the pic immediately above your post? Those are chicken of the woods (Laetiporous sulfureus), and they are incredibly edible! Here's one way to fix them. Mind you, even though they are edible, some people have a reaction to polypore mushroom. So, if you find some, eat only a very small amount the first time.

Notice that these are from the Pacific Northwest and are Laetiporous conifericula. The two types I''ve found in NE Ohio are Laetiporous sulfureus, and Laetiporous cincinnatus.
Found a 20 lb chicken this last weekend!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
It would be much more worthwhile if I could get my videos of this thing to load. Although it looks like multiple mushroom heads it ended in one large base. I ate the dang thing and the flavor was like 10x better than the average chanterelle. I reached out to these mushroom hunters overseas in Turkey that I've found online that seem like experts. They thought it might be a deformed 'Ashen Chanterelle' It's definitely not a horn of plenty and it's definitely not a pig's ear. Anyone on here have some ideas? I'll try to get some videos to post tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
One more photo of me with the load of chickens
Holy crap! I've only seen something like that one time in my life. I took pics, so let me see if I can find it.

Plant Plant community Tree Polyporales Wood

I can't believe I found it! I have so many pics stored and it's hard for me remember where they all are and how to search for them. And, I found these from about 250 yards away. I had design to hunt a creek valley for these mushroom and found a high spot where I could use binoculars to glass the valley. Since chickens are so brightly colored, I figured that they would easy to spot, and they were!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I found some early hens a little over a week ago but they were already covered in larvae. Anyone have any advice for this situation? Was a major bummer! They were bright orange larvae that jump chaotically and it's like there's millions of them over the whole shroom

·
Administrator
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,476 ·
I found some early hens a little over a week ago but they were already covered in larvae. Anyone have any advice for this situation? Was a major bummer! They were bright orange larvae that jump chaotically and it's like there's millions of them over the whole shroom
I'm thinking Rambo, would have pull his Knife out and cut off some big/Buggy/ juicy mouthful bites

1461 - 1476 of 1476 Posts