Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hit some spots on the west side of the CT river today gathering fiddleheads. Still a little cool but we did get a half a pound. Next weekend should be better. I knew it was a bit early but I had to check my one morel spot :D
Those must be hard to find here in CT. See plenty of the other ferns by the thousands.
Early days but they are popping. Get out there and check your spots. This photo was this morning in NW CT. Still tiny, but this weekend should be good.

View attachment 42305 View attachment 42305
how far north? It’s usually a little warmer down by me due to Long Island sound. What is that about pinky sized of a cap?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Good luck and dress warm!!! Feels like a cold February morning! The ever present wind is not going to help. Be careful. Perfect conditions for a Widow maker.!
Be careful for sure, we left the woods in Indiana last week because of the wind. At a campground not far from us two young kids were killed when a tree blew over on the golf cart ther were riding in with their parents. Safe hunting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good luck and dress warm!!! Feels like a cold February morning! The ever present wind is not going to help. Be careful. Perfect conditions for a Widow maker.!
Your not kiddin. It’s pretty bad down by me even. Gonna focus on some open field edges for a few hrs just. Don’t have lots of time today sadly. Wind is howling. I didn’t plan for that when I treated the clothes with the permethrin. Just leave em in the back of the truck or wash em after. Have had a few ticks this year just standing by some brush in the yard even. Or out on Long Island last month got to see my first lone star tick experience.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I need my Mother to have some in her lawn!! That's awesome. And yes the morels are definitely up in Ct.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
having seen your pic, i went out and harvested some of the 'dead' ones - got maybe half again as many (like 12?) So now i have a whole lovely clutch for breakfast tomorrow of those darker ones (i fried one and it was firm and tasted fine!) and strung up another 20 or so to dry.
Building Picture frame Interior design Wood Wall

How long can i expect these to keep growing? Can i expect more next weekend?

·
Registered
194 Posts
If the morels are a little smaller than those let em grow a few more days. But we are not expecting any rain and the heat is coming this week. Keep an eye on them. Watch for burnt tips. No idea if more will pop!? Let's hope so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts