Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Going to look in two nature spots in San Marcos area tomorrow. Been scouring one area for a week now to no avail. Friday I'll probably check in Wimberley/Pedernales areas to see what I find, but gosh this central Texas terrain is different than the Red River Valley up north that I'm used to hunting in.

· Registered
62 Posts
My reliable central Texas sites are bone-dry. They don't seem to have gotten the same rainfall we got in the metroplex a week ago today. Tuesday night into Wednesday there's a chance for rain across the entire 35 corridor, but it likely won't be significant, and certainly nothing like last Monday. The temperature forecast has moderated a bit for the coming week, so North Texas may still have a chance for a fair season, especially if there's rain mid-week. But we've already hit 90, and that's bad news for morels. I'm not expecting anything south of the Metroplex to produce in any significant way this year. Spring came too late, and we're still in critical drought. Gotta head north in a couple of weeks if you want bags full!

· Registered
8 Posts
My reliable central Texas sites are bone-dry. They don't seem to have gotten the same rainfall we got in the metroplex a week ago today. Tuesday night into Wednesday there's a chance for rain across the entire 35 corridor, but it likely won't be significant, and certainly nothing like last Monday. The temperature forecast has moderated a bit for the coming week, so North Texas may still have a chance for a fair season, especially if there's rain mid-week. But we've already hit 90, and that's bad news for morels. I'm not expecting anything south of the Metroplex to produce in any significant way this year. Spring came too late, and we're still in critical drought. Gotta head north in a couple of weeks if you want bags full!
I agree

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
IF this rain doesn't happen today then the season is over for me here in East Texas. They just started coming up after the last rain we had about a week ago and it was only a dozen. They are prime to explode in growth, but the heat is already here. Will be a very short season unfortunately.

· Registered
229 Posts
Do you guys down in Texas get all the other edible mushrooms that pop right after the morel season?
Up here in Missouri the morel season is just the beginning of the total mushroom season that lasts until winter.

· Registered
62 Posts
Do you guys down in Texas get all the other edible mushrooms that pop right after the morel season?
Up here in Missouri the morel season is just the beginning of the total mushroom season that lasts until winter.
Our seasons run with the rain, rather than the months. Once it's good and hot, and we have several straight days of rain, we get chanterelles, and they can show up any time from May until winter, but are most prolific in hot, wet weather, as are most of our edible boletes. Oysters pop whenever we get a hard rain alongside a change in temperature, whether it's hot to cold, or vice versa. The transition to cool, wet weather in fall brings out Lion's Mane and other Hericium. Sometimes the Texas Hill Country has an odd autumn morel season if a cold snap comes early (pre-Thanksgiving), stays for awhile, and then it gets back up into the 80s with lots of rain, mimicking their short, mild winters and tricking the mycelium into thinking it's spring.

· Registered
41 Posts
IF this rain doesn't happen today then the season is over for me here in East Texas. They just started coming up after the last rain we had about a week ago and it was only a dozen. They are prime to explode in growth, but the heat is already here. Will be a very short season unfortunately.
I'm still holding out hope that I'll find a few. My spots south of DFW did get rain last Monday and again overnight. And soil temps were still pretty low over the weekend...54-55 at one spot and 51-52 at another. Not expecting much but not quite done looking for the year. Good luck!

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Typically, in late May we start to get Chanterelles in the East Texas area. Oysters and subspecies of oysters tend to grow year-round. Rarely do I ever find chicken of the woods. Bolete's grow like crazy here but I'm too scared to eat one. Always worried about the bad ones that give you the poopy syndrome. I do find the Indigo Milk Caps here but again....afraid to eat one because of their extremely close cousin the Milk Cap is toxic. So...yes we do have other edibles here to eat. I do have a spot where ink caps grow crazy but its also around the same time morels grow so I don't even bother picking those when their flavor is subpar compared to boletes. Also, Elves Ear grows all over the place as well... with this all said.. Like Ben spoke of earlier...all rain dependent.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.