Votes: 6 35.3%
  • bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
With the Indiana board starting to warm up,
I thought I'd start the good ol' annual 2022 board for Pure Michigan.

Rain has been falling (and snow!) in SW MI all month and I'm starting to get the fever.

How is everyone doing and what are your thoughts on the upcoming season?
What is the timing for your season up there

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s starting to warm up here in Michigan as well. We are slowly creeping into the high 50s-60s, I’m hoping by next week I can start the hunt!!!

Yes @Riss, I think next week is a good time to begin. I'm going to go tomorrow and don't expect much, but the weather is favorable overall. What part of the state do you hunt?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not now at least, I just started my search for Morels seriously in the last two years, my first attempt was in 2020, I found 2 big ones. Last year I think I waited too long, but I have been gearing up reading books and what not to prepare my self for this season so fingers crossed! (y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not now at least, I just started my search for Morels seriously in the last two years, my first attempt was in 2020, I found 2 big ones. Last year I think I waited too long, but I have been gearing up reading books and what not to prepare my self for this season so fingers crossed! (y)
I hunt all of SW MI and Northern IN. Do you hunt any other mushrooms beyond morels?
I have heard good things about the SW I have some friends in KZOO who have been very successful.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh ok! So you're a newbie. I would highly suggest following and
posting questions on the Indiana Board as its very active.

The same tips and tricks work in Michigan as they do Indiana.

Once you select Indiana as a state, look for and Follow the thread below:

Rectangle Font Brand Art Logo

And start asking questions!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh ok! So you're a newbie. I would highly suggest following and
posting questions on the Indiana Board as its very active.

The same tips and tricks work in Michigan as they do Indiana.

Once you select Indiana as a state, look for and Follow the thread below:

View attachment 41536

And start asking questions!

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much, will do!! :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just give it time, it will happen! I started with morels about 10 years ago, and eventually branched out. I have about a dozen on my life list now with, hopefully, more to come. In addition to the Indiana board which is, by far, the most active board on this forum, go to You Tube and search "Learn Your Land". Great videos about gathering wild food!

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you're interested in adding an "easier" to find mushroom while in the Morel woods, study up on pheasant backs. Easy to identify and you'll find them in the same areas. If you strike out on Morels, you can often come home with some pheasant backs for the fry pan.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're interested in adding an "easier" to find mushroom while in the Morel woods, study up on pheasant backs. Easy to identify and you'll find them in the same areas. If you strike out on Morels, you can often come home with some pheasant backs for the fry pan.
Ya @Riss, @Kbart makes a good point for newbies: Learn some easy to ID mushrooms and get your confidence up.

The Pheasant back is a good one to start with because of what kbart said. Also, check out chicken of the woods too for simplicity and deliciousness.

The funny thing is the morel is one of the hardest to see of all mushrooms and most of us begin with this mushroom.

Maybe more people would be lifelong mushroom hunters if they started with easier ones to begin with? I remember the day I told my mentor (for morels) that I'm quitting. "It's just too hard!" I said. Luckily, he talked me out of it.

Now, I hunt all year round and love it more than anything!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ya @Riss, @Kbart makes a good point for newbies: Learn some easy to ID mushrooms and get your confidence up.

The Pheasant back is a good one to start with because of what kbart said. Also, check out chicken of the woods too for simplicity and deliciousness.

The funny thing is the morel is one of the hardest to see of all mushrooms and most of us begin with this mushroom.

Maybe more people would be lifelong mushroom hunters if they started with easier ones to begin with? I remember the day I told my mentor (for morels) that I'm quitting. "It's just too hard!" I said. Luckily, he talked me out of it.

That is my end goal, I want to become familiar and forage for all mushrooms not just Morels. The reason I am so fueled about finding Morels is because this is the first mushroom I have foraged, and quickly became hooked by the mesmerizing taste.:love:🍄

·
Registered
20 Posts

That is my end goal, I want to become familiar and forage for all mushrooms not just Morels. The reason I am so fueled about finding Morels is because this is the first mushroom I have foraged, and quickly became hooked by the mesmerizing taste.:love:🍄
Also, Kbart I was wondering if you had some guidance or recommendations on areas around Grand rapids worth hunting. I have spots picked out in KZOO And Allegan I will be searching, but am struggling to located a good spot/ park here in GR due to such high foot traffic.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I got started hunting morels when I joined an area fish & game club and a couple of members informed me that morels grew on the property. Once I was successful at finding some, which took 2 years BTW, the fuse was lit. I guess that once you open your eyes you tend to keep them open. I've found mushrooms just driving down the street!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also, since you seem really inclined to learn, I highly suggest trying to find a mentor. They can flatten the learning curve dramtically.
I totally agree, but that is easier said than done. Surprisingly their are not many people in my age group who take an interest to my hobby lol. But I am planning on attending the mushroom festival in Mesick, as well as a morel hunt hosted by Howard Christensen Nature Center! But I have found them before so I am optimistic.

1 - 20 of 333 Posts