Votes: 4 21.1%
  • white morels

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
@noskydaddy any luck in Mesick? I’m just north in Benzonia on a fishing trip. We found 4 babies yesterday in about an hour hike. I’m heading back home tomorrow, gonna stop back and see if we can get into them a little bit on the way out. Seems like it’s still a bit early but south facing seemed to be the key. The rest of the week looks great weather wise. Good luck!

· Registered
122 Posts
Not great buddy. Just too cool yet.
Ground is 46-48 degrees.

I've been focussing on southern aspects
but no luck yet.

Admittedly, this is my first Mesick area hunt
so I'm doing a lot of scouting and not enough hunting.

If I were you, I'd head as far south
as you can go on your way home and look there.

I can't wait to get back to SW MI now
cuz it's go time!
Just did a last look on my way back south, definitely still to cool. Had frost on my truck this morning. I’ll check my early spot in washtenaw co this afternoon. Hopefully they’re finally starting down there. Good luck

· Registered
122 Posts
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Vegetation Twig
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Natural material Grass

Took a two hour walk this morning at a place that we hammered it last year and only pulled about a pound and a half. 75% of the trees that produced last year were producing nothing unfortunately. If we don’t get rain really soon I think we could be in trouble. I’ll be checking a couple spots this afternoon after work, and I’m taking the day off tomorrow for an all day hunt, will report hopefully good findings

· Registered
122 Posts
Plant Leaf Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

Tableware White Liquid Serveware Ingredient

Here’s my take for the afternoon. 3 different spots. Found great trees that I fully expected to produce and did not. Mostly apples are bailing me out. Got into a pile of tulip morels that actually had some decent size. Almost everything I was finding I’m picking because they are drying out fast, and these spots get hit hard. Gonna hit it hard tomorrow and hope for the best. I’m just happy it’s morel season, the heat Feels like mid summer and I’m getting beat up pretty bad by thorns and autumn olive but I’m not complaining. I’m happy to be able to bring home any. Good luck everyone, keep those beautiful photos coming @bung23 hopefully we get that rain

· Registered
122 Posts
False morel Hand Leaf Botany Organism
Plant Vertebrate Polyporales Mushroom False morel

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Terrestrial animal Grass

Wood Natural material Ingredient Serveware Table

This is from a 3 hour walk yesterday, we ended with about 4 lbs between 2 of us. The heat wore me out unfortunately. Took a short walk on private land after that but pretty slim pickings there. I’m seeing the bigger blondes already. Some areas the ground is still fairly moist from all the early rain we had but others places have been pretty dry. So far I’d say its been a slightly below average year for me, but no complaints. I’ll get out there today for a couple hours, I have a few more spots to check that typically get over looked

· Registered
122 Posts
For any travelers out there looking to come up to Michigan, I am in Western Washtenaw county and we got a fairly decent soaker this afternoon. Not as good as I was hoping for but I’ll take it. No rain in the forecast until Wednesday but temps are going to start dropping, hopefully that will help

· Registered
122 Posts
Did a quick spot check this morning since we got that rain yesterday. Only had an hour before breakfast with the family. Definitely new growth next to old growth and stems from previous hunters. Sorry no photos had to hurry. I’m not sure if they “pop” over night but this sure seemed like it. More rain in the forecast for tonight now so it looks like we’re in good shape. @bung23 i think you may be right about the whole bonanza idea!

· Registered
122 Posts
False morel Plant Polyporales Mushroom Botany
Plant False morel Mushroom Flower Botany

Plant Terrestrial plant Mushroom False morel Terrestrial animal

Plant Plant community False morel Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Flowering plant

Tableware Bird Bottle Table Phasianidae

One word….BONANZA!! 😂 this is my take for about 4 hours of hunting today. Littles and bigs, the tulip morels were everywhere, and finally got a small mother lode under an apple tree in a new spot. Almost didn’t go there too! The rain we got was huge and more on the way tonight. I’m heading up to the Gaylord area this Friday, Johannesburg to be exact, I’m happy to report if anyone is interested in what’s going on up there. All business indeed!!

· Registered
122 Posts
BonanzaRAMA! All business today huh?
What part of the state are you in buddy?
We’ll my Dad was with me so it was MOSTLY business 😂 he moves slower these days, which means I do too when he’s with me, but I’m not complaining, he’s the one that got me into mushroom hunting, something I’m extremely grateful for. Anyway I’m in western washtenaw county

· Registered
122 Posts
Plant Tree Leaf Natural landscape Biome

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

well my go to spots are pretty well picked out. Didn’t have much time after work today. Checked out a new spot and it was a bust, so went to a reliable spot and got just over a pound. It rained all day by me, I’m thinking it’s time to start hiking in deeper and checking north sides. I’ll be packing tomorrow to head up to Gaylord area Friday-Monday. I’ll post any finds here. May the bonanza continue!!

· Registered
122 Posts
Well getting the truck loaded! We r leaving at 8:30 in the morning, heading up to a spot near cadillac that 4 yrs ago was a big area for us but has been little to nothing since however, I know theres gonna be a time were gonna land on em again! Not to mention me n Jeremiah have bets on it and well u know I hate losing🤣 it's not always easy hunting other states when you cant get out and regularly check your spots🙄 that's why I'm working on purchasing an acre or 2 in Michigan probably put my rv up there, we try to contribute to the state as much as possible supporting small businesses as we dont just go there to shroom, we hike and camp there and in the winter chase the northern lights in the Upper peninsula. I have my heart set on waiting it out to find a small little something near the sturgeon that I can afford but I'm only giving it another year if something dont appear by then I'm gonna broaden my area but not giving up hope just yet! I am so anxious to get up there tomorrow I probably wont sleep much tonight and if I do I'll probably have mushrooms dancing in my head🤣
But by 5 or 6 tomorrow I'll be limpin in the woods
I’m excited for you! Hope you and Jeremiah get into a mess of them. Good luck, looking forward to seeing how you guys do. I’ll be over in the northeast hoping for some luck myself

· Registered
122 Posts
We’re staying at clear lake state park in Atlanta, we had to gather at the bath house and watch. It went juuust north of us. Got pretty nasty for a minute. From what I hear the tornado actually touched down in downtown Gaylord. Was about an hour after we went through there. Two of our party came through after that and said half of Gaylord was shut down

· Registered
122 Posts
Just got back from a hunt at our usual place and found only 2! The ash trees are pretty well wasted. Good thing I had such a nice season in the southern part of the state. Brought up a few pounds so we can have some with dinner. The weather is gorgeous but not sure how much a trip north would be worth it unless you have some go to areas I’m sorry to say

· Registered
122 Posts
I may have to call it a year as well. It’s a bummer too because I know there are still morels out there to be found, but the way my schedule is set up this week I don’t think I’ll have any time to get out until this weekend. The weather is looking fairly decent though. Good luck to anyone still out there and/or traveling north. For what it’s worth, the areas I checked up there the soil still felt pretty cold to the touch. I think we were a little early. Unfortunately I did not have a thermometer with me so I think there is hope up there yet. I did run into some locals that were finding small blondes and grays so I know there are mushrooms up there. They did say they had to move a lot of leaves

1 - 20 of 22 Posts