• white morels

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.6%
321 - 340 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Well Jeremiah and I arrived this morning around 730am no sleep got right in the woods🙄 started in Cadillac which we knew was gonna probably be a bust and it was... talked to a few ppl who have been sitting on it and they've all been hunting the area 30 plus yrs and said they've never seen anything like it. We made our way up farther north and I'm not sure how we survived the day or each other🤣 no sleep, hunting mannnn I'm ready to just relax but it's only day 1 🙄🤣 I know I'm complaining now but I'll be whining and pouting when it's over for the year! We ended the day with 2lbs very sad
I hate to say it and Jeremiah dont wanna hear it, but it's not looking good for this area. Tomorrow we will hunt hard but if nothing any better we will be traveling to some new areas to see what we can come up with. Everyone we talked to says they are hunting hard with little reward. To anyone out there this weekend good luck may your bags be full! We gifted ours and the gentlemen said he was having some 4 dinner😊

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well Jeremiah and I arrived this morning around 730am no sleep got right in the woods🙄 started in Cadillac which we knew was gonna probably be a bust and it was... talked to a few ppl who have been sitting on it and they've all been hunting the area 30 plus yrs and said they've never seen anything like it. We made our way up farther north and I'm not sure how we survived the day or each other🤣 no sleep, hunting mannnn I'm ready to just relax but it's only day 1 🙄🤣 I know I'm complaining now but I'll be whining and pouting when it's over for the year! We ended the day with 2lbs very sad
I hate to say it and Jeremiah dont wanna hear it, but it's not looking good for this area. Tomorrow we will hunt hard but if nothing any better we will be traveling to some new areas to see what we can come up with. Everyone we talked to says they are hunting hard with little reward. To anyone out there this weekend good luck may your bags be full! We gifted ours and the gentlemen said he was having some 4 dinner😊
thanks for the report! unfortunately it is the same story as last year. Not enough rain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gosh, I would defer to someone else cuz that seems to be a locgical question.

But I must say they really like paths, I think where water runs down naturally.

Just hiking and walking the trails, you'll start seeing em.

Edibility = Good
Mostly oak down south. I’d say hard wood associates

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good luck to up you have better luck then we did

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
@bung23, we get cinnabars chants up here in michigan buddy. They should be coming out soon. They pop up near or on paths in the woods and such. In other words, they're really easy to find.

And they don't usually get too big. A 3" one would be big. Most of them are about an inch. They're on the smaller side. Rarely, I have found them 2-3" in size. But their color makes them easy to find.
Oaks and beech
Both spot on replies. I've never found cinnabars, but I do find smooth chants all long a path traversing an oak, beech, maple ridge. Easiest gathering I've ever done!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Both spot on replies. I've never found cinnabars, but I do find smooth chants all long a path traversing an oak, beech, maple ridge. Easiest gathering I've ever done!
@bung23, yes, that reminds me, I should have said you can find other CHANTS on the paths too.
I do good (like @shroomsearcher) for smooth chants right off the paths in the same forest types as he mentioned. And I get them in the same spots year after year which is great.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Went up to Gaylord area for a day and a half hunt. Worst year of hunting for me ever. Found around 80. Decent size and fresh'ish for the most part. 4lbs maybe? Lots of folks in the woods hoping to score too. Everyone I came across had nothing or just a few. I guess there had to be a first "bad" hunt up there sometime. I hope they pop for all the folks heading north this weekend. Good luck y'all and will see you next year.
Plant community Terrestrial plant Wood Plant Grass
Plant community Terrestrial plant Wood Plant Grass
Plant Terrestrial plant Fungus False morel Mushroom

Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Fungus False morel Mushroom

Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant Soil

·
Registered
176 Posts
@bung23, yes, that reminds me, I should have said you can find other CHANTS on the paths too.
I do good (like @shroomsearcher) for smooth chants right off the paths in the same forest types as he mentioned. And I get them in the same spots year after year which is great.
That’s great because the state parks around here have tons of trails through oak forests

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I watched a video by "Learn Your Land" on You Tube, to get the habitat that Chants like. When he said oak, beech, maple, I immediately thought of that ridge that's about a ten minute drive away! I wasn't five minutes down the path when I spotted two of them, but they were already old and dried up, so I kept on going. There's was another one, and another one, and so on!

Now, that first year I was so giddy with finding all the Chants that I got a little hoggish. taking bags home and dehydrating a bunch of them. Subsequently, I found out that they don't dehydrate very well! They lose their color, and they lose their flavor. Fresh is best. So, I changed my strategy. I'd do a quick hit and get enough for a couple of meals. Something to accompany dinner, and I can't tell you how much I love a three egg ham and Chant omelette! As long as they last is as long as they last. Kind of like my philosophy with tomatoes. Once my home growns are done, I am done! I cannot buy a store bought tomatoe anymore!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
I watched a video by "Learn Your Land" on You Tube, to get the habitat that Chants like. When he said oak, beech, maple, I immediately thought of that ridge that's about a ten minute drive away! I wasn't five minutes down the path when I spotted two of them, but they were already old and dried up, so I kept on going. There's was another one, and another one, and so on!

Now, that first year I was so giddy with finding all the Chants that I got a little hoggish. taking bags home and dehydrating a bunch of them. Subsequently, I found out that they don't dehydrate very well! They lose their color, and they lose their flavor. Fresh is best. So, I changed my strategy. I'd do a quick hit and get enough for a couple of meals. Something to accompany dinner, and I can't tell you how much I love a three egg ham and Chant omelette! As long as they last is as long as they last. Kind of like my philosophy with tomatoes. Once my home growns are done, I am done! I cannot buy a store bought tomatoe anymore!
I can't eat most store-bought produce any more.

When you make your 3-egger, how do you cook the chants first?
Or what?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·

It's really interesting to hear that chants don't dehydrate well. I didn't know that, but I do believe it. Each type of mushroom has it's own life-force somehow.

I know for a fact that Black Trumpets do dehydrate very well and taste great when you bring em back to life.

·
Registered
274 Posts

I have had success sauteing in butter . They will release their liquid , continue cooking until liquid is reabsorbed. Remove to paper towels to drain. Freeze in layers on cookie sheets. Once frozen gather them up and put them in vacuum seal bags . When you need enough for a recipe just reach in and grab the amount you need . I saw no significant reduction in flavor.

321 - 340 of 365 Posts