Votes: 6 33.3%
  • bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.6%
341 - 360 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
What about you?
Did you get to hunt the upper? If so, how did you do? Seems like it hasn't had enough rain but there must have been enough snow there this year to keep the ground moisture up since a friend from Leslie and her friend found 258 blacks yesterday somewhere near Seney.
I saw another report on Facebook of a girl finding many basket fulls in 2 hours somewhere in the upper.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can't eat most store-bought produce any more.

When you make your 3-egger, how do you cook the chants first?
Or what?
In the frying pan with the ham and just a little butter and olive oil. Doesn't need to be extra virgin or anything like that. When they are cooked I pull them out and put them into a dish. Then I pour in the three eggs that I have whisked up, and let that cook a little bit to sort of "set" the outside of the omelette. When I figure that has been accomplished, I reintroduce the Chants and ham to what will be the interior of the omelette. Then, I will use a long spatula to start peeling up an edge of that omelette until I can get enough of the spatula under there to flip the omelette into its presentation shape. This may not be "classic" technique, but nobody ever taught me how to make an omelette. I just knew that I liked them, and wanted to be able to make them. So, I tried to figure it out myself. And my method works quite well.

I have had success sauteing in butter . They will release their liquid , continue cooking until liquid is reabsorbed. Remove to paper towels to drain. Freeze in layers on cookie sheets. Once frozen gather them up and put them in vacuum seal bags . When you need enough for a recipe just reach in and grab the amount you need . I saw no significant reduction in flavor.
Thanks for that tip. The thing is, once I found out what I did about Chants and changed my way of thinking, I kind of got spoiled! I could go out there and harvest, and be picky! If I cut a Chant and there was just one "bug tunnel" up the stem, I'd keep it. Two or more, no way! It was thrown on the ground! The spot I hunted flushed so regularly, especially with regular rains, that there were always new shrooms to find! That's a nice situation. OK. It might last 2 months! But, I kind of like the seasonality of things.

In the Fall and Winter kill a deer and eat venison. This might be augmented with rabbit, pheasant, squirrel, and other natural foods. Come Spring, get after Turkey and morels. Also crappie and walleye for your proteins! Summers? I guess that you might need to depend upon vegetation, since that it was is prevalent. That's why I grow a veggie garden every year. It's also why you should get thin in the summertime and get a little bit fat in the winter!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Did you get to hunt the upper? If so, how did you do? Seems like it hasn't had enough rain but there must have been enough snow there this year to keep the ground moisture up since a friend from Leslie and her friend found 258 blacks yesterday somewhere near Seney.
I saw another report on Facebook of a girl finding many basket
fulls in 2 hours somewhere in the upper.
Add 205 to the total. We had an amazing mother lode spot today. It was so much fun watching my companions pick. The blacks are getting ruined by the rain. Will target my white spots today

·
Registered
274 Posts
In the frying pan with the ham and just a little butter and olive oil. Doesn't need to be extra virgin or anything like that. When they are cooked I pull them out and put them into a dish. Then I pour in the three eggs that I have whisked up, and let that cook a little bit to sort of "set" the outside of the omelette. When I figure that has been accomplished, I reintroduce the Chants and ham to what will be the interior of the omelette. Then, I will use a long spatula to start peeling up an edge of that omelette until I can get enough of the spatula under there to flip the omelette into its presentation shape. This may not be "classic" technique, but nobody ever taught me how to make an omelette. I just knew that I liked them, and wanted to be able to make them. So, I tried to figure it out myself. And my method works quite well.

Thanks for that tip. The thing is, once I found out what I did about Chants and changed my way of thinking, I kind of got spoiled! I could go out there and harvest, and be picky! If I cut a Chant and there was just one "bug tunnel" up the stem, I'd keep it. Two or more, no way! It was thrown on the ground! The spot I hunted flushed so regularly, especially with regular rains, that there were always new shrooms to find! That's a nice situation. OK. It might last 2 months! But, I kind of like the seasonality of things.

In the Fall and Winter kill a deer and eat venison. This might be augmented with rabbit, pheasant, squirrel, and other natural foods. Come Spring, get after Turkey and morels. Also crappie and walleye for your proteins! Summers? I guess that you might need to depend upon vegetation, since that it was is prevalent. That's why I grow a veggie garden every year. It's also why you should get thin in the summertime and get a little bit fat in the winter!
Love your way of thinking!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·

That was well said, sir.

The word I like is: Ephemeral. "Life if Ephemeral."

·
Registered
771 Posts
Haven't seen any posts lately from Traverse City, Cadillac, Mio, Alpena or Gaylord. I just can't believe it was a bust there this year. Does anyone know or has anyone heard different?
So far definitely
We found 2lbs in Gaylord area thursday very few since (maybe 20 or so) the UP is doing good on blacks for sure
We have been in wolverine area and several gentlemen here say they've hunted this for 30 yrs went home yesterday after zero
Our Cadillac spots had nothing however over heard a few ppl are starting to find some but few n far between
Wish we'd have gone to the UP and hunted blacks earlier but we will head up tomorrow n try our luck

·
Registered
362 Posts
So far definitely
We found 2lbs in Gaylord area thursday very few since (maybe 20 or so) the UP is doing good on blacks for sure
We have been in wolverine area and several gentlemen here say they've hunted this for 30 yrs went home yesterday after zero
Our Cadillac spots had nothing however over heard a few ppl are starting to find some but few n far between
Wish we'd have gone to the UP and hunted blacks earlier but we will head up tomorrow n try our luck
Good luck! Wish I was going with you

·
Registered
150 Posts
So far definitely
It is hard to understand how there would be any mushrooms at all in the upper since it has been dry for such a long stretch there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Went up to Gaylord area for a day and a half hunt. Worst year of hunting for me ever. Found around 80. Decent size and fresh'ish for the most part. 4lbs maybe? Lots of folks in the woods hoping to score too. Everyone I came across had nothing or just a few. I guess there had to be a first "bad" hunt up there sometime. I hope they pop for all the folks heading north this weekend. Good luck y'all and will see you next year.
Hi OHIO,

I live in Northern Michigan and used to do great in the Wolverine area. But the last two years were a complete bust for me and I have moved further north. Some in the UP. You
do better than me by far and so does Elmgirl. I am looking at your pics and the ground cover looks exactly like my hunting places. My question is are you still looking for ash
trees or do you have another tree to look for or just spots where you look random. Just a technical question from one morel mushroom hunter to another.

Glenn

View attachment 43826 View attachment 43826 View attachment 43825
View attachment 43822
View attachment 43825
View attachment 43824
View attachment 43823

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wolverine was a complete bust for me 2nd year in a row. Found just one white morel. Finally found a pound in Emmet county yesterday Memorial Day. They are fresh so they should be up for
at least another week. The hunting was great for black morels but the worst I ever seen for white morels. I have not had much to report unfortunately.

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Stopped for just a half an hour in Mackinac County and did find some but they were more advanced than the ones I found in Emmet. They are already starting to dry out but there may be many
out there if you get out quick. I may try to go after work today. I don't think they will last long.

Glenn

Attachments

341 - 360 of 365 Posts