• bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.3%
381 - 400 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
nokydaddy - more.

I'm ok with washing shrooms and routinely do so. I fill the sink and dump them in and dunk & swirl them slowly. Then I'll use my hand with open fingers , like a strainer to lift a few onto the cutting board. I'll pick up each one and cut it'd base off so its a fresh cut for storing or cooking. I happen to love food that looks great too.
🍺 🍷
noskydaddy - The woods they come from has sufficient understory to break most rainfall so there is little mud splatter on the underside.

For reference, this pic below is from Smooth Chanterelles from the same woods, I picked this morning sitting on the stove top.

View attachment 44185

They don't need to be cleaned.

When they are so abundant that I'm only picking what I need for a few dinners, I'll just leave the dirty ones. Another secret is that I won't pick any out in the open where the mud splatter is highest. So, If I'm picking along the path in this particular woods, I'll walk off the path into the surrounding vegetation to pick.

I cut the stem with a knife. I never pull them from the ground and place the shroom with the base and dirt into my bag. No need to introduce dirt if I don't have to.

This morning I had my mushroom hunting neighbor along. I noticed he was pulling the Chanterelles from the ground and placing the whole shroom with dirty end into his bag.

Afterwards, I asked him why he didn't cut them off. He said that he had a knee replacement and it didn't allow him to squat or kneel without discomfort. So he bent over and quickly pulled the whole shroom out -- not taking the extra time to cut it off.

Thank God for good health!!! 😎 🌞

Blessings of good times in the woods to everyone!!
Damn right. Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
381 - 400 of 412 Posts