• white morels

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.9%
101 - 120 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey Glenn, here in NW IN, they're still popping. I'm posting this here for you instead of replying to the IN thread cuz I don't want a lot of weekend duffers and non-members down here to know....

One of my favorite forests (Porter Co.) just handed me my first finds today, and many were blacks or grey/yellow tulips. I do have a couple of forests farther away from the lake that are winding down, but even there I'm still finding blacks, black half-free, greys, and only a few yellows. The average forest canopy around here is still just slightly less than 50% full, and the yellows are just waiting for the shade at this point. I'm taking a new member to Potato Creek State Park on Thursday (near South Bend), and I think I'm timing it right.

The forests closer to the lake are going to start by this weekend, both around here, and in Berrien Co. (which I visited yesterday). Next week's temps are supposed to be around normal, so you still have a season coming...patience, grasshopper! :)

Edit:
Forgot to mention, I found 174 today.

Plant Organism Vegetation Reptile Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am in Shiawassee county and have only found 16 morels, all in the last week. A couple of gray and the rest blondes. Not finding anything in our normal places, all in grassy areas outside our normal woods. All have been medium to small. Some fresh, a couple a bit dry but still good. I am worried about the heat coming. Think this may be the end of the season, but still see better temps a week from now if they hold. Not sure it will make a difference after the heat wave. Anyone else having a weird season?? Feeling luck we have gotten the 16 so far.
Really slow year so far and I agree about the high temps this week….I hope they don’t get smoked.
I found several small, fresh blondes between yesterday and today so I know we’re just getting ramped up here in SE Michigan.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am in Shiawassee county and have only found 16 morels, all in the last week. A couple of gray and the rest blondes. Not finding anything in our normal places, all in grassy areas outside our normal woods. All have been medium to small. Some fresh, a couple a bit dry but still good. I am worried about the heat coming. Think this may be the end of the season, but still see better temps a week from now if they hold. Not sure it will make a difference after the heat wave. Anyone else having a weird season?? Feeling luck we have gotten the 16 so far.
Thanks for the report and best of luck to you

·
Registered
149 Posts
Th
Thank you Glenn been waiting to hear from you.Wish you would have found more but hopefully they are on the way! We did ok over the weekend by indiana state line a mix of snakeheads grays and blacks. Seen the high temps there but the giving rain moving in so hopefully it arrives gives the ground a good soak. Any updates you can give would appreciate and best of luck.Can’t wait to head up that way!
Hi Rockytop,

I know the weather is the weather and I will have to deal with it. But I feel it just isn't going to happen this year for black morels. The last three years were good for me on black morels
but we did not get any rain last night and we are getting near record high temperatures. I am monitoring about a dozen morels and they are still very small and drying up already.
Fortunately the white morels are not up yet and next two weeks are supposed to be much more normal in temperature. Maybe the greys will come up after the heatwave and we will get a good
rain. I am praying for that so that I have a good white morel season. I had a super 2019 but the last two years were subpar but not terrible. In my experience morels do not tolerate mid 80s and
up very well. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Glenn, here in NW IN, they're still popping. I'm posting this here for you instead of replying to the IN thread cuz I don't want a lot of weekend duffers and non-members down here to know....

One of my favorite forests (Porter Co.) just handed me my first finds today, and many were blacks or grey/yellow tulips. I do have a couple of forests farther away from the lake that are winding down, but even there I'm still finding blacks, black half-free, greys, and only a few yellows. The average forest canopy around here is still just slightly less than 50% full, and the yellows are just waiting for the shade at this point. I'm taking a new member to Potato Creek State Park on Thursday (near South Bend), and I think I'm timing it right.

The forests closer to the lake are going to start by this weekend, both around here, and in Berrien Co. (which I visited yesterday). Next week's temps are supposed to be around normal, so you still have a season coming...patience, grasshopper! :)

Edit:
Forgot to mention, I found 174 today.

Hi Regionnaire,

Thanks for the report those are beautiful esculentes. Congratulations. I agree it is still very early up here. Usually I get a good 5-7 weeks for morel picking and it is just starting. Not real
enthused about this hot dry weather but that will not stop me from working hard at finding some. As Indiana winds down I will be posting much for at least four more weeks I pray.

Glenn

View attachment 43185

·
Registered
345 Posts
Glenn,
I went out briefly mid-morning to check a couple Porter Co. spots down here. I just had another forest provide me with my first finds, and most were blacks once again. 23 in one, and another 8 where I stopped yesterday afternoon...almost all black. I can't believe how much heat these places needed. I though I was going to completely lose out on my early spots, but here they come!

Be patient up there, guys...it's taking longer to flush than even I thought.
People in nature Wood Thigh Fungus Waste

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glenn,
I went out briefly mid-morning to check a couple Porter Co. spots down here. I just had another forest provide me with my first finds, and most were blacks once again. 23 in one, and another 8 where I stopped yesterday afternoon...almost all black. I can't believe how much heat these places needed. I though I was going to completely lose out on my early spots, but here they come!

Be patient up there, guys...it's taking longer to flush than even I thought.

Thats great news! Yeah I have noticed this year was slow in coming down there. So maybe we have much to come up here too.

Glenn

View attachment 43223

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi Rockytop,

I know the weather is the weather and I will have to deal with it. But I feel it just isn't going to happen this year for black morels. The last three years were good for me on black morels
but we did not get any rain last night and we are getting near record high temperatures. I am monitoring about a dozen morels and they are still very small and drying up already.
Fortunately the white morels are not up yet and next two weeks are supposed to be much more normal in temperature. Maybe the greys will come up after the heatwave and we will get a good
rain. I am praying for that so that I have a good white morel season. I had a super 2019 but the last two years were subpar but not terrible. In my experience morels do not tolerate mid 80s and
up very well. I will keep everyone posted.
I'm really interested in knowing what this epic heat is going to do to the whites up north. Down here in Jackson/Ingham county the whites are just now becoming abundant and we have had amazing rain. My best spot is under water. If the whites come up very late and hang on maybe we can get Wade up there to the U.P. to pick. I don't think he and Robin have ever been up that far.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
The season is a little weird but they all are. That's the allure!

I wouldn't give up too soon if I were you. Commonly, I find them until the end of the May in this general latitude. That's 20 more days.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Th
Thank you Glenn been waiting to hear from you.Wish you would have found more but hopefully they are on the way! We did ok over the weekend by indiana state line a mix of snakeheads grays and blacks. Seen the high temps there but the giving rain moving in so hopefully it arrives gives the ground a good soak. Any updates you can give would appreciate and best of luck.Can’t wait to head up that way!
Its gonna be like Indiana up there so keep a close watch on the weather I think itll come n go quick I just got home from southern Michigan sunday night I'm gonna post about it tomorrow too tired tonight I'm hoping for a good season up there but mannn this weather is all over the place

·
Registered
174 Posts
Its gonna be like Indiana up there so keep a close watch on the weather I think itll come n go quick I just got home from southern Michigan sunday night I'm gonna post about it tomorrow too tired tonight I'm hoping for a good season up there but mannn this weather is all over the place
Lol been waiting to hear your report.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If they don't get a bunch of rain real soon, It's gonna be like last year, slim pickings.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Vegetation Twig
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Natural material Grass

Took a two hour walk this morning at a place that we hammered it last year and only pulled about a pound and a half. 75% of the trees that produced last year were producing nothing unfortunately. If we don’t get rain really soon I think we could be in trouble. I’ll be checking a couple spots this afternoon after work, and I’m taking the day off tomorrow for an all day hunt, will report hopefully good findings

101 - 120 of 323 Posts