• bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.9%
121 - 140 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
View attachment 43258 View attachment 43259

Took a two hour walk this morning at a place that we hammered it last year and only pulled about a pound and a half. 75% of the trees that produced last year were producing nothing unfortunately. If we don’t get rain really soon I think we could be in trouble. I’ll be checking a couple spots this afternoon after work, and I’m taking the day off tomorrow for an all day hunt, will report hopefully good findings

I've also found most of my morels under just a few trees. 90% of good trees checked so far haven't produced. YET. YET!

·
Registered
174 Posts
View attachment 43258 View attachment 43259

Took a two hour walk this morning at a place that we hammered it last year and only pulled about a pound and a half. 75% of the trees that produced last year were producing nothing unfortunately. If we don’t get rain really soon I think we could be in trouble. I’ll be checking a couple spots this afternoon after work, and I’m taking the day off tomorrow for an all day hunt, will report hopefully good findings
What county are you in Jim’s?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Insect Plant Pollinator Butterfly Botany

Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Flower

found about 60 two hours ago under 1 tree. Left about a dozen tiny ones behind. They were all fairly small but I was in a state park about 20 yards from a busy main road and I know this area is hunted heavily so I snatched em up!
Even with this extreme heat (which makes hunting miserable, IMO) these morels seem to be popping kinda late compared to most years. Really odd but I’ll take it! Can’t wait for the cool down next week- I think it’ll be a freaking bonanza after this weekend’s rain!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Plant Leaf Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

Tableware White Liquid Serveware Ingredient

Here’s my take for the afternoon. 3 different spots. Found great trees that I fully expected to produce and did not. Mostly apples are bailing me out. Got into a pile of tulip morels that actually had some decent size. Almost everything I was finding I’m picking because they are drying out fast, and these spots get hit hard. Gonna hit it hard tomorrow and hope for the best. I’m just happy it’s morel season, the heat Feels like mid summer and I’m getting beat up pretty bad by thorns and autumn olive but I’m not complaining. I’m happy to be able to bring home any. Good luck everyone, keep those beautiful photos coming @bung23 hopefully we get that rain

·
Registered
769 Posts
Lol been waiting to hear your report.
Well Wednesday and Thursday that week Jeremiah hunted in the rain in Indiana then thursday night we got up to Michigan and it was pouring down our reservation for our cabin wasnt until friday so we were in the tent in the rain which continued through the 1st part of our day and we were hunting a new side/area we have not hunted but 1 other time we started just below washentaw/Jackson county which we did end up hunting there on Saturday Jeremiah ended up bad sick from his Indiana hunt in the rain so we didnt get to hunt as much or as hard as I wanted overall we found 26 smallllll ones it was very dry and by sunday rather warm my feeling by the end was that its warming up fast I've since heard Jackson/washentaw area is now going I've also heard from my friends on the other side that they found greys in wolverine and Gaylord which has me worried because our reservation is not until may 26th. All 3 of my connections in northern Michigan feel its gonna be an off season its warming up quickly
I wish you the best of luck keep me updated if we get the chance we might run up next weekend giving us just 1 day to hunt but well see

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well Wednesday and Thursday that week Jeremiah hunted in the rain in Indiana then thursday night we got up to Michigan and it was pouring down our reservation for our cabin wasnt until friday so we were in the tent in the rain which continued through the 1st part of our day and we were hunting a new side/area we have not hunted but 1 other time we started just below washentaw/Jackson county which we did end up hunting there on Saturday Jeremiah ended up bad sick from his Indiana hunt in the rain so we didnt get to hunt as much or as hard as I wanted overall we found 26 smallllll ones it was very dry and by sunday rather warm my feeling by the end was that its warming up fast I've since heard Jackson/washentaw area is now going I've also heard from my friends on the other side that they found greys in wolverine and Gaylord which has me worried because our reservation is not until may 26th. All 3 of my connections in northern Michigan feel its gonna be an off season its warming up quickly
I wish you the best of luck keep me updated if we get the chance we might run up next weekend giving us just 1 day to hunt but well see
I will let u know pretty sure we’re going up first part of the week for the first trip so I’ll shoot u a update and thanks for the info I will return the favor.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You could have come stay at my place. I have a small 5th wheel for guests.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I’ve been finding small fresh ones, which is odd to me after a week of high heat. I’m sticking to my assessment that after some rain this weekend and cooler temps next week that it’s gonna be a morel bonanza starting next week and the following week.
I like your optimism! It's been pretty good so far but this heat had me home before 1 this afternoon. Figured I'd do some stuff around the house while it's hot and the sun is shining brightly.

·
Registered
769 Posts
You could have come stay at my place. I have a small 5th wheel for guests.
I started to touch base with you but emotionally it was a hard weekend being mothers day n all I am still missing my son real bad😥 not sure what your plans are for the season up there but we are gonna be up may 26th for a week or 2 hoping to hit the UP maybe and well if shrooms are not going we might do some fishing n hiking

121 - 140 of 323 Posts