• white morels

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.9%
141 - 160 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I started to touch base with you but emotionally it was a hard weekend being mothers day n all I am still missing my son real bad😥 not sure what your plans are for the season up there but we are gonna be up may 26th for a week or 2 hoping to hit the UP maybe and well if shrooms are not going we might do some fishing n hiking
Yeah... mother's day kind of sucked this year but not as badly as yours. I don't really have any plans all my plans were to take Wade up north and as you know that can't happen. I really want to check all my north spots and hit the U.P. but it's hard to justify the 5.00 gas and the 13 mpg truck. We've had so much rain here that the morels are pretty good, not epic but it's really just starting to get good, they are pretty much in the tight gray stage. Big yellows should be obvious next week. This heat is going to have them sporing out unfortunately.

·
Registered
171 Posts
False morel Plant Mushroom Organism Terrestrial plant

False morel Plant Mushroom Terrestrial plant Organism

Plant Plant community Camouflage Organism Terrestrial plant

Picked a couple dozen today. Was only out for about an hour and a half but only really hunted for an hour because I ran into some dude in the woods who couldn’t stop telling me his walleye fishing and morel hunting stories….lol. He was cool and all but I’m all business in the woods during morel season!
Next week is going to be amazing….
Mark
My
Words
!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Picked a couple dozen today. Was only out for about an hour and a half but only really hunted for an hour because I ran into some dude in the woods who couldn’t stop telling me his walleye fishing and morel hunting stories….lol. He was cool and all but I’m all business in the woods during morel season!
Mark
My
Words
!!!
What area is this?

·
Registered
121 Posts
False morel Hand Leaf Botany Organism
Plant Vertebrate Polyporales Mushroom False morel

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Terrestrial animal Grass

Wood Natural material Ingredient Serveware Table

This is from a 3 hour walk yesterday, we ended with about 4 lbs between 2 of us. The heat wore me out unfortunately. Took a short walk on private land after that but pretty slim pickings there. I’m seeing the bigger blondes already. Some areas the ground is still fairly moist from all the early rain we had but others places have been pretty dry. So far I’d say its been a slightly below average year for me, but no complaints. I’ll get out there today for a couple hours, I have a few more spots to check that typically get over looked

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
View attachment 43287
View attachment 43288
View attachment 43286
found about 60 two hours ago under 1 tree. Left about a dozen tiny ones behind. They were all fairly small but I was in a state park about 20 yards from a busy main road and I know this area is hunted heavily so I snatched em up!
Even with this extreme heat (which makes hunting miserable, IMO) these morels seem to be popping kinda late compared to most years. Really odd but I’ll take it! Can’t wait for the cool down next week- I think it’ll be a freaking bonanza after this weekend’s rain!
Nice to see fresh growth. I was expecting to see some in
SW MI but haven't, not yet.

And like everyone else it seems you gotta check a lot of
trees and get lucky enought to find the one or two that
have morels. Odd.

Did find tulip morels for the first time this season today too.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
View attachment 43321
View attachment 43319
View attachment 43320
Mark
My
Words
!!!
All business!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did a quick spot check this morning since we got that rain yesterday. Only had an hour before breakfast with the family. Definitely new growth next to old growth and stems from previous hunters. Sorry no photos had to hurry. I’m not sure if they “pop” over night but this sure seemed like it. More rain in the forecast for tonight now so it looks like we’re in good shape. @bung23 i think you may be right about the whole bonanza idea!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Glenn, I was sent to the Michigan forum to talk to you. My question was what trees do you look for when looking for black morels and half free morels. I've had no trouble finding yellows and greys but have never took the time to look for blacks. I've been told Big Tooth Aspen and White Ash, what are your thoughts? Any answer from anyone would be appreciated.(y)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Still finding some here and there in NW IN...and still on the east side of the forests. My late spots haven't shown any signs, and my end of season indicators haven't popped yet. If we get some rain, we might have one more flush coming. I may take a couple days off because of my knee, but I'll hopefully get out again by mid-week to check around here, and give Berrien Co. another look.
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover
Plant Leaf Organism Terrestrial plant Flower
Plant Terrestrial plant Fungus Grass Terrestrial animal

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Did a quick spot check this morning since we got that rain yesterday. Only had an hour before breakfast with the family. Definitely new growth next to old growth and stems from previous hunters. Sorry no photos had to hurry. I’m not sure if they “pop” over night but this sure seemed like it. More rain in the forecast for tonight now so it looks like we’re in good shape. @bung23 i think you may be right about the whole bonanza idea!
It looks like @bung23 is on to something. Picked these this morning. Only 2 of these were up just 3 days ago. Off with their heads!! View attachment 43374
All business!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
False morel Plant Polyporales Mushroom Botany
Plant False morel Mushroom Flower Botany

Plant Terrestrial plant Mushroom False morel Terrestrial animal

Plant Plant community False morel Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Flowering plant

Tableware Bird Bottle Table Phasianidae

One word….BONANZA!! 😂 this is my take for about 4 hours of hunting today. Littles and bigs, the tulip morels were everywhere, and finally got a small mother lode under an apple tree in a new spot. Almost didn’t go there too! The rain we got was huge and more on the way tonight. I’m heading up to the Gaylord area this Friday, Johannesburg to be exact, I’m happy to report if anyone is interested in what’s going on up there. All business indeed!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
View attachment 43421 View attachment 43422
View attachment 43423
View attachment 43424
View attachment 43425
View attachment 43426

One word….BONANZA!! 😂 this is my take for about 4 hours of hunting today. Littles and bigs, the tulip morels were everywhere, and finally got a small mother lode under an apple tree in a new spot. Almost didn’t go there too! The rain we got was huge and more on the way tonight. I’m heading up to the Gaylord area this Friday, Johannesburg to be exact, I’m happy to report if anyone is interested in what’s going on up there. All business indeed!!
Savage! New growth is a great sign.
What a nice pile of perfect Pure Michigan morchella!

SW MI got 0.10" today with a little more in the mail.
If we get it, I'm gonna be ALL BUSINESS this week!

141 - 160 of 323 Posts