• white morels

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • bigfoot morels

Votes: 1 5.3%

*** 2022 MORELS & MORE ***

29K views 411 replies 34 participants last post by  Kokomorel 
#1 ·
With the Indiana board starting to warm up,
I thought I'd start the good ol' annual 2022 board for Pure Michigan.

Rain has been falling (and snow!) in SW MI all month and I'm starting to get the fever.

How is everyone doing and what are your thoughts on the upcoming season?

#20 ·
Also, since you seem really inclined to learn, I highly suggest trying to find a mentor. They can flatten the learning curve dramtically.
I totally agree, but that is easier said than done. Surprisingly their are not many people in my age group who take an interest to my hobby lol. But I am planning on attending the mushroom festival in Mesick, as well as a morel hunt hosted by Howard Christensen Nature Center! But I have found them before so I am optimistic.

#21 ·
How about this. Get on You Tube and subscribe to Learn Your Land. They have an incredible collection of videos about gathering wild food. The host, Adam Haritan is quite knowledgeable. He is located in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and is, I believe, a member of the Western PA Mushroom Club.

#36 ·
I’m looking forward to a great year although here in Oakland county, it looks like at least a week till they’ll be up in significant numbers. I’ll look at my spot for blacks either this afternoon or tomorrow but with this cold snap, I doubt I’ll see anything. Temps begin to moderate this week so next week should be a good time to start looking. SW Michigan always starts earliest- here, we’re usually a week or so behind.

#50 ·
Hi Rockytop,

Yes I did make it. Actually did not get that much rain down there this weekend. I did not find any but I found my first several today in Sault Ste. Marie the size of a pencil eraser. I fully expect
Gaylord to post finds this weekend. Hopefully I will join that chorus! Ground temps were 41-45 so the black morels will be just starting to pop. Probably two weeks or so before we can
find greys in Northern Michigan.

Glenn

#58 ·
@noskydaddy any luck in Mesick? I’m just north in Benzonia on a fishing trip. We found 4 babies yesterday in about an hour hike. I’m heading back home tomorrow, gonna stop back and see if we can get into them a little bit on the way out. Seems like it’s still a bit early but south facing seemed to be the key. The rest of the week looks great weather wise. Good luck!

#59 ·
Not great buddy. Just too cool yet.
Ground is 46-48 degrees.

I've been focussing on southern aspects
but no luck yet.

Admittedly, this is my first Mesick area hunt
so I'm doing a lot of scouting and not enough hunting.

If I were you, I'd head as far south
as you can go on your way home and look there.

I can't wait to get back to SW MI now
cuz it's go time!

#63 ·
It's been raining like crazy in Jackson county but my sister up in Traverse City said it's been really dry. Looks like it's going to heat up too much next week. So far I've only found blacks. There are very few BTA trees in my area and only one spot has produced.
I've spent hours looking in my white spots and had no lucks. The pheasant backs are just getting started. I saw my first Jack in the Pulpit yesterday and marsh marigolds.

#69 ·
I am fairly new to MI morel hunting. I have found my plenty of oysters, chickens, and hens, but have yet to find my first morel in MI. I have been working in Warren area for the last year and a half. I will be back in the area the weekend of the 14th and was wondering if I will be late or right on time. Here are my last fall finds.
View attachment 42826
View attachment 42831
View attachment 42830
View attachment 42829
View attachment 42828
View attachment 42827
Welcome to the board keep a eye on this thread and surrounding states and look back through the years of posting a lot of knowledge out there. Good Luck and Happy Shroomin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.